Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls Online

Default Elder Scrolls Online

Anyone tried it/planning on getting it? I keep trying to get into one of these MMOs, but nothing ever really hooked me for very long. This game looks like it probably won't either, but I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions on it. I know it's had a few beta phases already, anyone here do any deep dives into it?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Not really, but from what I've read from other beta testers, their opinions were not exactly favourable.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Then again, I'm currently downloading the beta client. Will tell you what I think. On Friday at the soonest, that is.

So early release is out now. Is anybody doing this? How is it? I'm still on the fence.

found it not exactly enticing.

seems... different

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Tempted ... am awaiting more reviews.

From what I've read so far, the world seems suitably explorable, the quest system excellent, the crafting system also excellent, the combat below average, the PvP pretty good.

Hefty price tag though; £50 to purchase ($50 in the US I believe) and a monthly £15 subscription fee too (also $15 in the US).

Making it the most expensive MMO I've encountered.

My laptop is getting old so relatively low FPS is limiting my enjoyment of this game, so far I am only level 10 the quests are relatively well done. During early access the areas were fairly crowded it has become less so since release but I still find someone else helping me kill the mob 1 time out of 2. Which is not in itself bad since everyone gets the credit and the chance to loot it. There was one quest where there were relatively few mobs that spawned that needed to be killed and it pretty much blocked progression for a few hours. I am sure they will fix this or people leaving will fix it
    In terms of balance it fills a bit weird i chose khajit and invested skill points in dual weilding, however I had a difficulty killing a quest mob and for the hell of it decided to try a bow and despite having no special skills to use with it I massacred the same mob that killed me 4 times previously when using all my specials.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Tempted ... am awaiting more reviews.

From what I've read so far, the world seems suitably explorable, the quest system excellent, the crafting system also excellent, the combat below average, the PvP pretty good.

Hefty price tag though; £50 to purchase ($50 in the US I believe) and a monthly £15 subscription fee too (also $15 in the US).

Making it the most expensive MMO I've encountered.
    Where did you get those prices from? Shocked me that pound to dollar would be the same so checked and the website says its £8.99 for a 30 day subscription vs $14.99

Not getting it as I dislike monthly subscription models. But the one concept I like if true is I heard you can use the same account on both PC and PS4. If that's true and it works seemlessly I like that a lot - so long as you don't need to buy it for both platforms.

For mobile games I like playing some on my iPhone and my iPad with a different interface but same account for each. I've not heard of PC and Console using same account and characters seamlessly before but it's a good concept that should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Not happening. For an MMO the bug process just doesn't make it worth while. PC and Mac players can play together, PS4ers can play with PS4ers, and Xbones stick with Xbones, and no jumping between platforms. As of an interview on the subject from last month.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Hmmm ... just gone back to check and I can't find where I got the £14.99 a month from.

£8.99 is WoW subscription money ...

Not happening. For an MMO the bug process just doesn't make it worth while. PC and Mac players can play together, PS4ers can play with PS4ers, and Xbones stick with Xbones, and no jumping between platforms. As of an interview on the subject from last month.
    Shame. It really ought to be possible.

If they could get that working it'd be a real selling point for me.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

blame it on the consoles' proprietary format and closed process for updates I was really hoping that Portal 2's cross purchase on the PS3 would open everyone up a little bit, but that game was out for only a couple of weeks before Sony's massive data breach that shut down online play.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Shame. It really ought to be possible.

If they could get that working it'd be a real selling point for me.
    From a software point: Certainly. But, as Ominous pointed out, the certification process for console games rules out any kind of cross-platform gaming. Because for that you need everyone to be on the same patch level.

And you can't do that if Microsoft and Sony certify even minor patches days or weeks apart.

I wound up getting it because too many people I know were getting into it. I wasn't too impressed at first, but after a day or two the game grew on me. I'm actually having a good deal of fun with it now.

Combat reasonably satisfying?

Reasonably. I think it's better than Skyrim, actually. It's similar to that, but it's easier to pull off nice smooth chains of different attacks.

By default, you'll be in first person view. Zoom out to third person immediately.

For anyone who was on the fence, the game has steadily improved since launch, and the developers seem to be doing everything right. I just recently got back into it after a month and change break, and nearly every issue I've had with the game has been fixed during that time period, with the last few complaints having fixes coming in the next patch, which is already on the test server. The pace of development is fairly impressive, as Zenimax seems to be able to implement entire new systems and zones with only a couple months of lead time.

They're also doing a thing where you can transfer your PC characters over to console after the console versions release, if you wanted to do that.

Will give it whirl, considering the 50% deal on Steam currently.

Good grief, 42 GB?

The game's going Buy to Play (same model as Guild Wars) next Tuesday. The retail price spiked as soon as the announcement was made, but there are still some out-of-the-way places you can find it for $25 or so if anyone was interested in this but didn't like the subscription fees.

The reason for the change is the coming console launch - they couldn't charge console players subscription fees on top of the PSN/X-Box Gold fees, and they couldn't give their service away for free while still charging PC players, so they're just dropping the subscription requirement completely.
    Last edited by Wraith; 03-12-2015 at 04:53 PM.

I ended up buying it afterall, paid for a 6 month subscription but quickly lost interest. May have to try it again.

When I tried it, I really wasn't impressed until level ~10-15 or so. I think the very early game is still a weak point in it.

I don't think I even got that far. Regretted paying for a 6 month plan.

Is it Thursday today or Thursday a week from now that it changes?

17th of March it says on the website.

The thursday that happens on tuesday 3/17. I didn't edit my earlier post, it always said Tuesday. Really. I don't know exactly what time the switch over will happen, but it's usually early afternoon GMT for updates/changes.

Well, it's easy to mix up the days. After all, both begin with a "T".

And they end in the same three letters! Rand's misreading of my post is really totally understandable.

seems... different

Surely something more interesting happens there than character, er, gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    And they end in the same three letters! Rand's misreading of my post is really totally understandable.
    Cheeky! That Last edited tag is a bit of a spoiler