Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Dog

Default Getting a Dog

Thinking about getting a dog, posting about it so someone can tell me if it's a terrible idea.

Here's the deal: I live alone, and have a work schedule that often requires long hours. This has always been why I never got one in the past, but there are doggie daycare places on my way to work which are affordable.

I'd get a shelter dog (can't possibly take enough time off work to deal with a puppy), and take two weeks to work from home while it acclimated, but then most days it'd be dropped off at the daycare place on my way to work and picked up on the way home.

Can this work? Is this going to be cruel to send a dog away often 5 days a week?

A dog being a pack animal, it wants to be with its pack 24/7.

Anything else is less than suitable.

I have an old Uni friend, who is now on the Forestry Commission in North Wales. He and his wife live in a converted Dairy in the middle of the woods. He has two dogs, Fudge (a Collie) and Millie (a lab-cross). His work involves going around neighbouring woods, inspecting trees, managing felling and logging, and just generally being an outdoor woodsman. He takes his dogs everywhere he goes, and they are free to run about as they please. I have always held that this is the optimal existence for a dog - with master 24/7, free to roam, and in a non-urban environment.

Had I a similar existence, I would without doubt have numerous dogs - delightful and sociable creatures that they are.

As it is, I live an urban 9-5 type life, totally unsuited to our canine friends.

Growing up we always had dogs, but with 3 siblings and a mum at home looking after us, there was always somebody at home and so the dog was always with its pack. Which is why dogs often suit families.

A dog dropped off at a doggy-daycare place will be miserable from the moment it's dropped off and separated from its pack, until the moment its master returns when it will be as happy as can be, returning to the pack. Then it suffers the same palava the next day, and the next.

Daycare may be one notch up from those owners who leave their dogs indoors and alone while they go out to work, which really is about the worst thing to do to a dog, but it's still far from ideal.

What's wrong with a cat?
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 02-10-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Yeah, get a cat.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Buk is right, obviously, on the point of canines needing to be with their "pack". Especially one who is no longer with what they knew as their pack/family, or an older animal (change becomes more difficult with age). Too bad you don't have time for a puppy, the fact that you take time to consider the animals quality of life shows you would likely make a good companion. Raising a puppy from the beginning in this situation would be a great time/energy drain, but as the dog matured it would come to expect and enjoy the socializing and activity of a doggie daycare since that would be the norm.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Being a dog-owner, and having worked at a doggie daycare for many years when I still lived in the States, I can't help but disagree with the statement that the dog would be miserable all day at the daycare. If you rescue a dog that was properly socialized and gets along with other animals, and you find a reputable daycare, you will have a happy, tired pet at the end of the day. At daycare they get to play all day with a pack. There will be plenty of activity to keep your dog stimulated. In all my years working with dogs, I only ever saw a handful of dogs that didn't thrive in the daycare setting.

Do you travel a lot? If so, would you be leaving the dog behind or planning trips where you could take your pet with you? Are you able to devote the time to making sure the dog is properly exercised? Daycare can help with that during the week, but on the weekends you'll need to provide the activities. Of course, this also depends on what breed you get. Some breeds need a lot more exercise than others. I would research which breeds would best fit with your own activity levels before choosing a dog.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

You can always get a pink chihuahua and take it to work with you.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
    Being a dog-owner, and having worked at a doggie daycare for many years when I still lived in the States, I can't help but disagree with the statement that the dog would be miserable all day at the daycare. If you rescue a dog that was properly socialized and gets along with other animals, and you find a reputable daycare, you will have a happy, tired pet at the end of the day. At daycare they get to play all day with a pack. There will be plenty of activity to keep your dog stimulated. In all my years working with dogs, I only ever saw a handful of dogs that didn't thrive in the daycare setting.
    Ordinarily true, but with "rescue" or "shelter" dogs it's difficult to know for sure how well socialized or psycologically adjusted the animal actually is. Putting them into a situation where the one person they may view as "safe" disappears can feel like abandonment. All this aside, I whole-heartedly encourage anybody who has room in their lives to adopt a rescued animal. Few reputable organizations will allow mal-adjusted animals to be adopted out, and the animals that are adopted are very loving, loyal, and well, great friends and companions.

Get a robot dog and spend your 20%-time on improving its software to make it more dog-like, quit your job and launch a new successful career in aftermarket upgrades for robot dogs
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Sounds like a cat would be more suitable, to be honest.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Alright, idea nixed. What Timbuk and rumrunner said are basically what I've always thought, but I've noticed that a fair number of my coworkers are in similar situations and still have dogs. Even the married ones have both people working full time. They all say their dog is just fine being left home alone while they're at work, and I started thinking that with so many people around me doing it, maybe I was wrong to think it was bad for the dog.

Anyways, you guys have talked me out of it, even though evenstar made a good run at untalking me out of it.

On cats: After so many years of Loki having a cat avatar, I'm not sure I could look at a cat without punching it.

Don't give up altogether, you just have to be sure of the animal. As usual,do the research and don't settle for something that isn't exactly what you're comfortable with. Dogs are awesome companions (pet is a verb, not a noun IMO).

Get a large guinea-pig
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Not to mention, Wraith, that with you being away during the day and single, you'd actually need two cats. One only works if you can let them outside.

Guinea pigs? At least three.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Alright, idea nixed. What Timbuk and rumrunner said are basically what I've always thought, but I've noticed that a fair number of my coworkers are in similar situations and still have dogs. Even the married ones have both people working full time. They all say their dog is just fine being left home alone while they're at work, and I started thinking that with so many people around me doing it, maybe I was wrong to think it was bad for the dog.

Anyways, you guys have talked me out of it, even though evenstar made a good run at untalking me out of it.

On cats: After so many years of Loki having a cat avatar, I'm not sure I could look at a cat without punching it.
    Dogs are awesome, but probably something to consider a bit later in life.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Wraith, don't give up on a dog just yet. Do you work in an environment that could include taking your (well trained) dog to work sometimes? I don't mean a tiny purse dog that tends to be yippy, nervous, or need a lot of attention...but the medium or large sized dog that kind of weaves its way into an office culture, and becomes part of the "family". Some of that acceptance will depend on the people you work with, and their personalities...as well as age of the dog and its breed characteristics.

I used to think Doggie Day Care was a horrible idea, or at least a sad commentary about our society and culture. But I've changed my mind, slowly, after seeing what a really great facility looks like....and how happy the animals are in that environment. It's actually better than leaving a dog home, alone, to chew on furniture or bark at every sound, and wonder where their pack friends or people are. And it's better than getting a second dog to keep him company.

If you're not a cat person, that just means you haven't been adopted by a cat yet, because that's how it happens--the cat chooses you If you're a dog lover, don't be too quick to give that up. Dogs are often more "welcomed" in homes and businesses than human children these days. (Subaru has an entire ad campaign about Love being "dog-approved".)

Consider things another way around. Maybe your work schedule is depriving you of other needs and joys....that a dog could quickly help balance and moderate. I've known some people who'd work 80 hours a week, and never take a day off, if it weren't for their dogs dragging them to the park for a walk, catching balls or Frisbees, playing in the snow....or taking vacation days to row in a canoe or fish in a stream.

goldfish. you need a goldfish

or a tamagotchi
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I would think that the average dog is a lot happier if 'the pack' is always around. However, it's also a matter of anxiety control. Dogs can be trained to understand that being left alone during specific times does not mean being abandoned. Also, daycare doesn't mean he's alone all the time does it? It's not as black and white as the first posts suggest, but a dog comes close to having a baby.
    Congratulations America

It comes close, but nowhere near, to having a baby. In one sense, it's more challenging to have a dog (or any other pet) because the animal will never become independent, or grow and mature its way out of dependency. Pets are your responsibility until the day they die. And it's not like you can show up at an ER when they're sick or hurt, and get "free" or subsidized vet care.

btw, "reasonable expectations" should be part of every pet list. If you can't tolerate animal hair on your clothes or couch, pee or poop accidents, scratched fabrics or floors, or any animal 'scent or slobber'....go for the guinea pig. If you can't anticipate euthanizing a 15 year old cat or dog with cancer is "reasonably expectable", but might take a month off work and spend $10,000 or more on chemo and surgeries....go for the goldfish.
    Last edited by GGT; 02-10-2014 at 11:13 PM.

You just need a black and white cat, to ninja around town.

I have an oreo cat.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Forgot to mention another important thing --- don't think you have to use SPCA or the local dog pound to get a "shelter" dog. There are plenty of groups that rescue dogs (from puppy mills, pet shops, or neglectful environments) and put them in private homes that socialize and train the dog, no matter its age or health status. They're fostering programs with totally dedicated people, and top-notch standards. Their adoption interviews are pretty strict, and evaluate the human as much as the dog.

My sister has done this for years, starting out as a foster home for pure breed Labrador Retrievers, and expanding to any dog with Lab traits or characteristics. It's definitely a labor of love that takes a lot of time and effort, sometimes years. Most people want their own puppy, and don't appreciate the teenaged or slightly older dog that's already been house-trained.....and socialized to tolerate cats, kids, loud noises, door-bells, strangers, or other dogs.

Wraith, try looking into fostered dogs, and visit one of the private homes to take a look. They might even suggest you start by taking a couple of hours a week to walk/feed/groom/play. Have you ever had a dog, or lived with a dog? Dog Lovers are the best people to help you through the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I have an oreo cat.
    Black and white cats should be referred to as Felix the cat cats!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    Ordinarily true, but with "rescue" or "shelter" dogs it's difficult to know for sure how well socialized or psycologically adjusted the animal actually is. Putting them into a situation where the one person they may view as "safe" disappears can feel like abandonment.
    This is not exactly true, either. Not all rescue animals come with a history of abuse and neglect. There are many cicumstances that can result in an animal being in a shelter/rescue organization - the death of the former owner, or people with really good intentions who for some reason find they have to give up their pet, just to give a couple examples. Also, just because a dog was in a bad situation in the past doesn't mean they are psychologically traumatized for life. A big mistake many people make is to attribute human thoughts and emotions to dogs, and that's just not the case. A lot of problems come from the owners feeling bad for the dog and treating it like a human instead of an animal. One of my old bosses worked with "problem" cases and most of the time it was the person who was the problem not the dog. And like you said, rumrunner, most reputable rescue organizations will not adopt out a maladjusted dog. They evaluate for temperament and socialization and if there are any issues they will either work to fix them or find someone highly trained to take the dog.

Anyway, Wraith, I'm not trying to make up your mind for you. I just want you to know it's not all doom and gloom as some of the posters make it out to be. Having a dog (or a cat, or a bird, or whatever fits into your life) is such a rewarding experience. As long as you have the time and space (and the finances), don't give up on it so quickly if it's something you really want.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

I don't really want to risk Timbuk and rumrunner being right. I'll revisit once I've retired.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    You just need a black and white cat, to ninja around town.
    It's still the most brilliant sentence I've ever read.

It's still the most brilliant sentence I've ever read.

edit: Wow, he wrote that a long time ago.

We were still at the old place when he came up with it, weren't we?

Yeah, it was when he was in first grade.

Jeez. Way to make me feel old.

Ooops

Had I seen this sooner, I also would have added-

Do you really want to have control over another animal's shitting schedule?