Page 13 of 209 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Recession slang: 10 new terms for a new economy

The recession may be over, but the new slang it spawned just might be here to stay. Here are our Top 10 picks.

By Tracey D. Samuelson, Taylor Barnes Correspondents / March 8, 2010

The recession may be technically over but its effects on our life and language are far from it. In fact, some recession words have become so ubiquitous – staycation, for one (see below) – that they just might be here to, ahem, stay.

Recession language isn’t a new phenomenon. Thanks to the Great Depression we have terms like: Okie, dirt poor, and baloney (to mean ridiculous, not the mystery sandwich meat). Even the term "depression" has been attributed to Herbert Hoover, who is thought to have wanted to avoid using the more common, but more alarming terms "panic" or "crisis" to describe what subsequently became known as the Great Depression.

So, in the spirit of trying to laugh at our collective condition, we’ve compiled a lexicon of our Top 10 favorite words birthed by the recession. Laugh, cry, and submit your favorite new-economy words in the comments below.

10. Funemployment, n. The practice of enjoying one's unemployment.

The funemployed subscribe to the philosophy that in the face of bleak employment prospects, it's better to make the most of time off by catching up with old (read: also unemployed) friends or developing low-cost hobbies, ideally during normal business hours to realize the additional benefit of irking ones employed friends.

Sample sentence: As part of my funemployment plan, I've joined an Ultimate Frisbee league and am providing foster care to three puppies.

See also: Funderemployed (adj.) taking a job that's fun because employment that pays well or is in one's field is unavailable.

9. Insource, v. To do oneself what one previously paid others to do.

Sample sentence: "No, I can't meet you for brunch this morning. I'm insourcing my laundry these days and have five loads piled up."

Alternate sample sentence: "I know my nails look like someone took a chainsaw to them, but I insource manicures now."

Antonym: outsource.

8. Staycation, n. Vacationing at home or near home because traveling further would be prohibitively expensive.

For better or worse, staycation is perhaps the most widely-used and accepted term of the new-economy lexicon.

Sample sentence: "That's right, if something doesn't change, we're going to have to staycation at my in-laws this summer ... again."

7. Intaxication, n. A sense of delight mingled with the perception of instant wealth that one feels upon receiving a tax refund.

Sample sentence: "It seemed like a good idea to charge that pair of Louboutins/small boat/Caribbean vacation to my credit card when I got my tax refund. But when I got my statement a week later, it was clear I was in a haze of intaxication at the time of purchase."

6. Madoff’d, v. To get ripped off in a particularly offensive fashion.

Sample sentence: "Oh man, that cab driver totally Madoff'd me. I gave him a $20 and he only gave me change for a $10."

5. Recessionista, n. A consumer who has historically paid big bucks to look like a million bucks and who, unwilling to quit his/her fashion habit in the face of the recession, has found alternative ways to maintain a certain standard of wardrobe.

Such strategies often include shopping at discount and second-hand stores. More prevalent in the media than in everyday conversation.

Sample sentence: "The clerks at Barneys are suffering from withdrawal now that I'm a recessionista and rent my handbags online instead of buying."

See also: frugalista.

Related: "crisis chic" (adj.)

4. Mancession, n. A recession, such as this most recent one, which hits men harder than women.

Sample sentence: "The extent of this mancession became clear to me when I realized it was all dads in F-250s in the carpool line."

See also: he-cession.

3. Povo, adj. A two-syllable "abbreviation" for poor, often with a mocking or self-defacing tone that lacks any serious derision or the class implications associated with "poor" or "poverty."

Derivation: Australian (Aussie) English

Sample sentence (better if said with faux Australian accent): "We're living sans Internet and cable now that my povo roommate won't chip in for it anymore. It's like the 1980s around here."

2. Permatemp, n. The condition of being permanently employed as a temporary worker.

This could be due to lack of motivation to seek permanent employment, inability to find permanent employment, or the permatemp's belief that a company will eventually hire him/her for the job s/he is currently doing for lower pay and without benefits.

Sample sentence: "Wake up, Joe. You've been here for six months, your cubicle is decorated better than your living room, and the hiring manager still doesn't know your name. You're officially a permatemp, my friend."

1. Decruited, adj. To be fired from a position one has not even started yet.

Sample sentence: "At first I felt really bad about being decruited from that corporate law firm after spending two summers of law school interning for them. But then I decided to make the most of my funemployment and use my signing bonus to travel around Europe."

See also: uninstalled, prefired

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    My Erdős number is 6.

Fuck you Nessus, it is too a real science!

My hate knows no bounds

(Publish something with me)
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/black...ry?id=10045008

Walmart is raising eyebrows after cutting the price of a black Barbie doll to nearly half of that of the doll's white counterpart at one store and possibly others.
    I giggled.

Of course, the oversensitivity of people who think Walmart meant something by it is funny, too.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Just as the likes of Vogue are loth to feature black models on their front cover; because they sell less magazines on the rare occasions that they do ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

i <3 jinni.com
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I just realised that the interest we paid on our mortgage last year was so low that we're no longer making the threshold for deductability. With a little bit of luck neither of us will have to file after 2011
    Congratulations America

hey Hazir, you like to rub it in, repeatedly!

Found a 1900's copper coal pot with blue/white hand-painted ceramic handles at a consignment shop.....for $6.

Yeah, that's because it's really exciting for me. It means that in little under 2 years I will have a place in Amsterdam centre and Istanbul centre, both in tip top shape (by then) free of liens. Together costing me less than €400 a month to use (including utilities and taxes). I know this is how I planned it, but it's still hard to believe for me that I actually pulled it off. I could get by on a paper round from then on . You can't imagine how that makes me feel.
    Congratulations America

sun's shining on my snow-covered town, my room is clean, my belly is lagom full, my brain is lagom stimulated, and my heart is singing along with

Voicedude - Michael Jackson vs. Paul Anka - The Diana Twins

Nice minxiepoo.

Not that I know what the rollocking smegbap a lagom is.

~

What's making me happy is that dipping my toes into the IT employment market for the first time in almost ten years is proving successful.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

I hope you washed them first!!!

lagom is the most useful word in the world

OK, I know I am a pretty good jeweler, better than most in my city, but I have a healthy amount of self doubt, and am adventurous enough to tackle jobs I don't think I can do well. This is one of them. Angel, at the old job, used to do all the "bead setting" and I never properly learned how. I know the concept behind it, but have had very little practice. Up until now I have used various techniques to "fake it" . I originally said no to this job, but finally agreed, preparing the customer for a mediocre job.

Well, I impressed myself . It's not the best bead work, and I know it's a little sloppy, but the guy was floored. So I am just a wee bit proud of myself for tackling this and doing it right. You can see the idea of bead setting in the image to the right. You drill holes for the diamonds, and literally squash them (lightly) into the hole. Then you take a fine, round pointed graver, and dig into the metal to raise a "bead" and work that over the stone. In the picture, you see the rough points sticking up. You then take a beading tool, a small pointed tip with a concave recess, and you use that to mash that point into a round, smooth bead and further tighten the stone in place. Then you take a couple different gravers, such as the flat, and onglette, to carve the defining lines, and carve away all the excess metal between the points to give you the finished product on the left.

This takes tons of effort and after 4 hours of working on this my hands really ache. I think I burst a few blood vessels in my brain too.

I finished the naked chick.
    Note that she swings freely on the moon.
    I am proud and ashamed of this piece.

Last edited by Bitter Jeweler; 03-13-2010 at 02:05 AM.

First off, holy hell Bitter. Thats some impressive work.
    Secondly, you guys are starting to suck. Everytime I think I've got something happy enough to share, the person right before I was going to post throws up something thats nothing short of being awesome.

So now I'm posting my seat covers, black covers on a tan interior. For only $30 for the set, and a universal design, they fit amazing well
    Click to view the full version
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-13-2010 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post

Jewelry.
    Those are very good. Have you ever done anything interesting with amethyst? (My birthstone)

I've used amethyst for the purple in a gay pride ring.

[IMG]nice picture[/IMG]

OK, I know I am a pretty good jeweler, better than most in my city, but I have a healthy amount of self doubt, and am adventurous enough to tackle jobs I don't think I can do well. This is one of them. Angel, at the old job, used to do all the "bead setting" and I never properly learned how. I know the concept behind it, but have had very little practice. Up until now I have used various techniques to "fake it" . I originally said no to this job, but finally agreed, preparing the customer for a mediocre job.

Well, I impressed myself . It's not the best bead work, and I know it's a little sloppy, but the guy was floored. So I am just a wee bit proud of myself for tackling this and doing it right. You can see the idea of bead setting in the image to the right. You drill holes for the diamonds, and literally squash them (lightly) into the hole. Then you take a fine, round pointed graver, and dig into the metal to raise a "bead" and work that over the stone. In the picture, you see the rough points sticking up. You then take a beading tool, a small pointed tip with a concave recess, and you use that to mash that point into a round, smooth bead and further tighten the stone in place. Then you take a couple different gravers, such as the flat, and onglette, to carve the defining lines, and carve away all the excess metal between the points to give you the finished product on the left.

This takes tons of effort and after 4 hours of working on this my hands really ache. I think I burst a few blood vessels in my brain too.

I finished the naked chick.
    Note that she swings freely on the moon.
    I am proud and ashamed of this piece.

[IMG]nice picture[/IMG]
    Very nice Bitter. Got yourself a new camera for Christmas, did ya?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I've used amethyst for the purple in a gay pride ring.
    Ok. Have you done anything else with it?

Road trip was awesome woo
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Nessie! Any more more info on that?

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Holy crap Bitter that's awesome! You've definitely earned your success with all your hard work.

GDC went so much better than I could have hoped for. It's not every day you get to show your game to Valve. Mark and I met with a lot of people to talk about the game, got some great feedback and good contacts. We have some work to do putting together budgets and business plans, but it's looking good as far as getting funding / publishing for Prometheus. People were really wowed by the concept behind the game.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

Found this thread on page 2 you cynical bastards!

Yesterday we went to an office to file taxes. Having bought a house this year we were told we could expect tax refunds (no idea about proper terminology) so we expected hundreds or a couple of thousands.

We were pleasantly surprised Long holiday to Rome, plus enough left to redo the second floor! Yeah baby!
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Hmmm ... no idea how you get anything back from el guvvimento due to having bought a house, but sounds good.

EDIT: Rome? You sure?

Why not Rome? I've never been to Rome.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

It's smelly and unpleasant. And I'm neither joking nor exaggerating.

Go to Florence; 10,000 times prettier and more pleasant to visit on the TAS (Tim Appreciation Scale).

Or Venice. Or Milan. Or even Sicily or Tuscany. Not done Naples but that's supposed to be pretty too.

Tuscany is amazing, finding a Tuscan town would be my first choice.

But Rome isn't smelly or unpleasant, and Florence is all shopping and bleh.

The shopping is nice, but is this really what Zigz wants to do?

Florence all shopping and bleh?

I beg to differ.

But I guess everyone has a different take on places they visit.

I was blown away by Florence.

Your bridge shot there - shopping. I bought jewelry there. I liked Florence, but it is a huge financial hub (has been since the Medici), and well, there's lots of shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Go to Florence; 10,000 times prettier and more pleasant to visit on the TAS (Tim Appreciation Scale).

Or Venice. Or Milan. Or even Sicily or Tuscany. Not done Naples but that's supposed to be pretty too.
    Oh, we're going to Rome for the touristy stuff (Colosseum, Pantheon) but we'll be moving around. Tuscany is high up there in the list. Friends who went to Rome never mentioned smelly or unpleasant.

Ziggy hates shopping.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Florence is nice. but not that great. Tuscany is great, Siena is very pretty too. Haven't been to the other places, but I'm hoping to go to rome next month.

You shouldn't bother with Pisa by the way, over-touristy
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Why not Rome? I've never been to Rome.
    Rome is seriously nice.
    Congratulations America