Page 137 of 209 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Also: I remember that storm, and that was ice, not snow.

Not really trying to defend Loki's statement though. Snow is worse than rain, at least because it can turn into/cover ice.
    Not on any busy street...
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Not on any busy street...
    Actually they are worse, cars compress the snow till it get's icy.

Once you salted the road it's ok, but someone needs to salt it first.

And I don't agree with the fact that New York is doing fine with an inch of snow, when I was in NY it wasn't doing fine and there was NO snow.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yeah, what kind of a first world metropolis can afford that.

Affort what?

I think you are missing my point.

Vehicles to clear some of the snow and salt the roads.

I can't help but picture scores of tiny cars crawling behind these huge trucks with snow plows attached, only using the streets immediately after its been cleared of snow.

but thats not right, cause that would cause delays, and those don't happen cause of snow.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

What ever happened to your confidence in government planning?

I do like how you're pretending this is some sort of mission impossible when it generally takes place in NYC several times a year.

I do like how you're pretending this is some sort of mission impossible when it generally takes place in NYC several times a year.
    I consider it mission impossible to trivialize snow into such a non issue that people don't plan around it, people don't alter their behaviors (especially concerning traveling), that time frames aren't changed, that delays won't occur.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It's not, but it makes things somewhat slower. You said so yourself about trains, but deny that on extremely busy tracks this leads to delays. Or that snow and ice blocks junctions..

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I consider it mission impossible to trivialize snow into such a non issue that people don't plan around it, people don't alter their behaviors (especially concerning traveling), that time frames aren't changed, that delays won't occur.
    An inch or two of snow is a trivial issue. People in parts of the country that get regular snow seem to manage just fine. It seems to me that it's the "unknown" that puts people into a panic, not the difficulty of navigating the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    It's not, but it makes things somewhat slower. You said so yourself about trains, but deny that on extremely busy tracks this leads to delays. Or that snow and ice blocks junctions..
    When there's half a foot of snow, not an inch.

Vehicles to clear some of the snow and salt the roads.
    Of course, and as I said, those vehicles need to do their work first, you can't have all the roads cleared at all times.

It all depends on the conditions too, currently we have about 5 cm of snow but it is extremely slippery.

An inch or two of snow is a trivial issue. People in parts of the country that get regular snow seem to manage just fine. It seems to me that it's the "unknown" that puts people into a panic, not the difficulty of navigating the situation.
    It's difficult for regions that don't "normally" get snow or ice. They can't "navigate" the situation because they don't have the equipment or personnel to deal with it. That's why southern airports may shut down when temps are at/near freezing level, and even fog can turn into hoarfrost. That kind of precipitation demands de-icing the planes or runways, rolling out elevated pedestrian walkways, and all sorts of things that aren't part of their normal planning. Ditto for roadways and highways.

It's true -- a thin layer of ice below the Mason-Dixon line can throw all transportation into a tizzy.

Isn't that because people are used to it and can therefore adapt more easily? When I was in a snowy Montreal everything just went a bit slower, everybody was used to that so no complaining.

When there's half a foot of snow, not an inch.
    Don;t know what the minimum snow to cause problems for railway traffic is, but with the two inches we have it does accumulate under trains and chunks fall off, and in junctions, which get stuck and have to be unstuck. Doesn't take that much time, but if the schedule is full and tight, that will have big effects. Freezing + wet + moving parts = problems, it's not rocket science.

And the only really big problems occur during snow fallling out of the sky, and at that time the roads are not cleared yet, as its still falling, and the visibility is greatly reduced, so then everyone has to go slower, trains too. Visibility being, you know, essential for safety. After the snow has fallen, delays aren't so bad, like I said the biggest problem is junctions freezing or being blocked by chunks of ice.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

There must be something HAPPY in this tangent about weather, but it's not clear what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Don;t know what the minimum snow to cause problems for railway traffic is, but with the two inches we have it does accumulate under trains and chunks fall off, and in junctions, which get stuck and have to be unstuck. Doesn't take that much time, but if the schedule is full and tight, that will have big effects. Freezing + wet + moving parts = problems, it's not rocket science.
    We have similar busy rail, if not even busier, but no problem with that. But our rail tracks have heated junctions, so that's maybe the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    We have similar busy rail, if not even busier, but no problem with that. But our rail tracks have heated junctions, so that's maybe the difference.
    The more important ones are heated here, and they are expanding it, so it should be less in the future, fingers crossed! Obviously snow happens more often on your side, which is probably why you already have it.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Of course, and as I said, those vehicles need to do their work first, you can't have all the roads cleared at all times.

It all depends on the conditions too, currently we have about 5 cm of snow but it is extremely slippery.
    You do the main cleanup late at night or early in the morning. You clean up lesser used streets during the day.

Jay Wilson, the guy largely credited with everything that is wrong with Diablo III (and the "fuck that loser" comment directed towards D2 staff) has finally been removed from his position as game director for Diablo III.

Can they remake the game now?

You do the main cleanup late at night or early in the morning. You clean up lesser used streets during the day.
    Yes we do that. But yesterday it way snowing all day, non-stop. The result was 5 cm snow . Cleaning that street black would have been a Sisyphus' task.

Again, people seem to manage in New York without massive car pileups...

Yes we do that. But yesterday it way snowing all day, non-stop. The result was 5 cm snow . Cleaning that street black would have been a Sisyphus' task.
    Er...? 2 inches of snow? Aren't you guys all snowy up in Switzerland?

Look, when the snowfall gets really fast (say, 5 cm an hour), cities get in trouble, even if they have good snow response. Then there simply aren't enough plows and salt trucks to keep up with things. But slow, steady snow is not an issue unless you get unholy amounts of accumulation (I'm thinking 50-100+ cm). That's when even hardened cities start to shut down - you run out of places to put the snow, so you need to start using snow melters, heavy equipment to truck snow to open areas (rivers/lakes/parks/etc.), and more. So that takes time. But absent either really fast accumulation or steady snowfall for days on end, most northern cities shouldn't have much trouble dealing with standard storms. You keep main arteries open as a matter of course, and clear out residential areas on a more intermittent basis.

I'm not saying this is easy by any stretch of the imagination - certainly Chicago invests a lot of money in their emergency preparedness, with a war room and detailed tracking of weather, snow clearance, etc. But it's not really rocket science either; it just takes money and organization. For cities that regularly experience significant snowfall, it's done as a matter of course - if you don't adequately keep a city running in the winter, you have trouble come mayoral elections.

Again, people seem to manage in New York without massive car pileups...
    Again, New York is already a chaos without snow.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Er...? 2 inches of snow? Aren't you guys all snowy up in Switzerland?

Look, when the snowfall gets really fast (say, 5 cm an hour), cities get in trouble, even if they have good snow response. Then there simply aren't enough plows and salt trucks to keep up with things. But slow, steady snow is not an issue unless you get unholy amounts of accumulation (I'm thinking 50-100+ cm). That's when even hardened cities start to shut down - you run out of places to put the snow, so you need to start using snow melters, heavy equipment to truck snow to open areas (rivers/lakes/parks/etc.), and more. So that takes time. But absent either really fast accumulation or steady snowfall for days on end, most northern cities shouldn't have much trouble dealing with standard storms. You keep main arteries open as a matter of course, and clear out residential areas on a more intermittent basis.
    Swiss people think it's chaos when trains are more than 5 minutes late and if you can't drive 80 km/h on the street anymore.

At no time villages where cut of, everyone is doing fine. But you need to slow down, you need to keep more distance, because the roads are very slippery. And I don't see how the amount of snow is relevant. We had 30 cm in November and I had the same problems driving as with the 5 cm we have now.

You also have to consider that we live in very hilly terrain, traction is more important here than in the flat lands.

Driving to work today, when suddenly...pirate ship!

Click to view the full version

Gasparilla

Well, the 2 inches of snow we got this weekend made me happy. Took the kid out to play in it, her first time really getting to enjoy it. Made snowmen, pulled her in the sled (my parents just had to buy a sled for her; they'll be to blame when she ends up spoiled). It's melting pretty quickly now but at least for a day and a half we had fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Well, the 2 inches of snow we got this weekend made me happy. Took the kid out to play in it, her first time really getting to enjoy it. Made snowmen, pulled her in the sled (my parents just had to buy a sled for her; they'll be to blame when she ends up spoiled). It's melting pretty quickly now but at least for a day and a half we had fun with it.

When it comes to snow days, sledding, or school cancellations....public policy loses its luster.

2 inches of snow here a few days ago. Everything was running as normal.

Cornfields have certain trade-offs, especially when their universities are considered "major economic hubs".

Yeah, having a few large snow machines to clean up the major streets and a few more small ones to clean up student housing areas is really expensive.