Page 146 of 209 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,380 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

I actually don't like to see superman in a batman movie. I don't think it fits.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Summer

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

I'm marrying this one <3 she has been conveniently blinded for 3½ years by hair blowing around before her eyes, thank GLOD soon the wind will wane but by then the Law of No Backsies will be in effect. By my turban--I swear I'll try to not turn into a giant disgusting puddle of squee before then

Also very jolly: my schedule's packed with lumbar punctures this my last week. I should be despondent but I'm not, because so far I'm three for three with no muckups. It seems the main reason I found them to be trickier before was that they were lying on the wrong side. No doubt I'll be forced to eat these words tomorrow
    Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So, moved into my new appartment for good. Two cabinets have still be put up (nothing else would hold the amount of books I possess), but my wardrobe, kitchen, bed and computer desks are assembled.

Installing the lights on the ceiling has been a bit exhausting, though - since I didn't know where exactly the cables are hidden inside the walls, I bought a metal-/wiring-detector. I thus found all the wiring. Then, for shits and giggles, I tested the metal detector part.
    And it went nuts. Turns out that they used a fine metal mesh in the ceiling which made it almost impossible to find a place to drill a hole (let alone two!) without making the ceiling look like swiss cheese). And, of course, all my rooms (5 of them) needed a light.

Which reminds me: If I'm moving again I'll:
    a) employ a professional moving company and
    b) let all my furniture delivered / assembled by the furniture house.
    Lugging around a 60 kg IKEA wardrobe in 30 °C is not my idea of fun. Assembling this wardrobe is not much better. Then again, it turns out that IKEA had some nice ideas to make the assembly easier (and some ideas which make it harder).

At least I've got fast internet again - 100 Mbit/s. I can now actually click on a Steam game and have it install inside an hour, regardless of its install size.

Though for some reason, moving to Hamburg crippled my mobile connection - it's actually worse than in the middle of nowhere. My iPhone regularly tells me that it only has a GPRS connection (that's the lowest tier) depicted by an "o" (like "oh my God!" or "oh, the connection's gone again"), which makes practically any service depending on the slightest amount of connectivity (like, maps or Siri or mail or browsing) unusable. Well, O2 has until April next year to fix their shit.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

for reusing Ikea stuff. I know a decent number of people who just don't and buy new stuff when they move. Which is insane, if anything their furniture is easiest to take apart and re-use elsewhere. Assuming the Ikea furniture has lasted long enough to make a move.

...and you save that little metal IKEA crank tool.

Congrats on your new apartment, Khen! Sounds like your ceilings are made of plaster with a wire mesh undercoat? Might be a pain in the ass for drilling holes, but it's sturdier than cheap fiber board panels.

Anyway, if your walls and ceilings are plaster, use a plaster patch material to fill your holes, not a dry-wall spackling compound. Otherwise, the patch marks will stand out like a sore thumb, even after sanding and painting.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    ...and you save that little metal IKEA crank tool.
    Better use one of these:

Never regretted the investment in that one.

Yeah, IKEA bookshelves last longer with drilled screws.

I think joker meant use the electric screw driver on the IKEA allen screws, rather than use the little IKEA allen key.

Which definitely is a
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

London housing market has gone absolutely mental again.

Other half and I are pooling our resources to buy a house in the Kingston area of SW London.

I put my flat, which is currently rented out to tenants, on the market at a ridiculous price after valuations by agents. It was viewed by a multitude of people the minute the details appeared on the agency website last week. Had 3 offers the next day, and accepted at asking price. Absolutely crazy - this is a process that can take weeks or months.

Other half's flat, where we're living, went live online on friday, had an open day on saturday due to the amount of interest, and we expect to receive offers today.

Properties are being snapped up like hot-cakes.

Which, unfortunately, means that the few properties we've started to view to buy, tend to be under offer within days. It's moving so fast that you have to be prepared to offer at full asking price on the day a property arrives on the market.

Recession? What recession?
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Housing can be the first to pop during financial recoveries, especially when recessions were caused by housing bubbles?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    The UK's really not in recession any more by any means. I have the feeling official GDP figures have been under-estimating growth in recent years - in fact that's already been started to be shown as true. In January the talk was of a potential "Triple Dip" recession, in fact although not given high priority by the media upward revisions to historical figures mean that we never even had a "Double Dip" officially anymore. The second recession was wiped out by upwards revisions so never even happened .

We are I feel well on an upwards move economically now
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

London housing market has gone absolutely mental again.

Other half and I are pooling our resources to buy a house in the Kingston area of SW London.

I put my flat, which is currently rented out to tenants, on the market at a ridiculous price after valuations by agents. It was viewed by a multitude of people the minute the details appeared on the agency website last week. Had 3 offers the next day, and accepted at asking price. Absolutely crazy - this is a process that can take weeks or months.

Other half's flat, where we're living, went live online on friday, had an open day on saturday due to the amount of interest, and we expect to receive offers today.

Properties are being snapped up like hot-cakes.

Which, unfortunately, means that the few properties we've started to view to buy, tend to be under offer within days. It's moving so fast that you have to be prepared to offer at full asking price on the day a property arrives on the market.

Hah, full asking price? Where I live, people overbid the asking prices. Good luck finding a place to live!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The UK's really not in recession any more by any means. I have the feeling official GDP figures have been under-estimating growth in recent years - in fact that's already been started to be shown as true. In January the talk was of a potential "Triple Dip" recession, in fact although not given high priority by the media upward revisions to historical figures mean that we never even had a "Double Dip" officially anymore. The second recession was wiped out by upwards revisions so never even happened .

I don't disagree with the details of the numbers, RB, but the fact of the matter is that there's a much larger output gap in the UK than much of the developed world, technical recession or not. Growth has been quite anemic and should be quite troubling to the UK's leaders. Obviously an early switch to austerity has some blame for this, and it might indeed have better results in the long term. But playing down the large and persistent output gap is probably not wise. Honestly the only major positive area is employment, and even that isn't fantastic (and productivity is markedly down).

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yeah, IKEA bookshelves last longer with drilled screws.
    I think joker meant use the electric screw driver on the IKEA allen screws, rather than use the little IKEA allen key.

Which definitely is a
    Exactly this is a electric screw driver, it can be used for small drills, but usually you use it as screw driver. It also has a torque limiter, so you don't break any screws.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

No offense, but you are either delusional or in denial. Maybe you got bit by the Olympic bug, and can't distinguish between current day reality and future optimism?

Based on numbers and statistics, the UK is still in recession, possibly a triple dip recession. Your austerity measures haven't increased GDP, employment rates, currency values....or held inflation rates at steady levels.

fortydaysofdating.com

Totally loving this. Its like a bad romantic comedy playing out in real life.
    Last edited by wiggin; 07-25-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Zynga posts $15.8 million loss

Yes schadenfreude, and they've never even done anything that significantly impacts my life.

Zynga? Never heard of 'em.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Farmville on Facebook?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Ah yes, had Farmville pop up quite a bit over the years.

Hard to imagine a company cocking up such a lucrative business plan. Must have taken some effort to post those kind of losses.

Farmville, Drop 7, Mafia wars, etc... Their icon is a red square with a white bulldog.

their business plan involved finding something popular, stealing it, then pushing it until it become more popular. They even had the balls to rip off EA's SimCity facebook game.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I am a happy parent, with caveats and plenty of silent worries. After many weeks of failed driver's education using manual transmission cars, we finally found an automatic second family car. Damn, it was a tiring and trying prospect. I can barely count the number of dealers and test drives.

Ended up choosing a fully loaded '03 Ford Escape FWD with 140,000 miles and limited warranty. It's a very nice, easily drivable and safe car. Not the high mileage "beater" I drove as a 17 year old, but the world is different now.

Finally gotten my ass outta the house to get some sun and it's SO NICE. Also I'm now an uncle by proxy and finally, continuing on the topic of wonderful pinkish orange things, we bought a lot of nice fresh salmon yesterday and it's now soaking in a nice brine with sea salt, sugar, garlic, rosemary, lemon and lime. Brining is the shit

Less happy i think about having Don't Stop Me Now stuck in my head
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Manning was found not guilty for aiding the enemy. guilty on everything else, but its nice to see the judge didn't consider the public to be an enemy of the state.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

That was always the weakest charge. He'll still get his ~20 years.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    So, moved into my new appartment for good. Two cabinets have still be put up (nothing else would hold the amount of books I possess), but my wardrobe, kitchen, bed and computer desks are assembled.

Installing the lights on the ceiling has been a bit exhausting, though - since I didn't know where exactly the cables are hidden inside the walls, I bought a metal-/wiring-detector. I thus found all the wiring. Then, for shits and giggles, I tested the metal detector part.
    And it went nuts. Turns out that they used a fine metal mesh in the ceiling which made it almost impossible to find a place to drill a hole (let alone two!) without making the ceiling look like swiss cheese). And, of course, all my rooms (5 of them) needed a light.

Which reminds me: If I'm moving again I'll:
    a) employ a professional moving company and
    b) let all my furniture delivered / assembled by the furniture house.
    Lugging around a 60 kg IKEA wardrobe in 30 °C is not my idea of fun. Assembling this wardrobe is not much better. Then again, it turns out that IKEA had some nice ideas to make the assembly easier (and some ideas which make it harder).

At least I've got fast internet again - 100 Mbit/s. I can now actually click on a Steam game and have it install inside an hour, regardless of its install size.

Though for some reason, moving to Hamburg crippled my mobile connection - it's actually worse than in the middle of nowhere. My iPhone regularly tells me that it only has a GPRS connection (that's the lowest tier) depicted by an "o" (like "oh my God!" or "oh, the connection's gone again"), which makes practically any service depending on the slightest amount of connectivity (like, maps or Siri or mail or browsing) unusable. Well, O2 has until April next year to fix their shit.
    On the phone reception; that metal mesh in your ceiling? I have a similar problem in Amsterdam; mobile phones simply will not connect if they're in the living room, unless you stand in front of a window. Upstairs we have perfect coverage.
    Congratulations America

Yeah I was gonna ask if it had anything to do with living in something similar to a faraday cage
    Last edited by Aimless; 07-31-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Farmville, Drop 7, Mafia wars, etc... Their icon is a red square with a white bulldog.

their business plan involved finding something popular, stealing it, then pushing it until it become more popular. They even had the balls to rip off EA's SimCity facebook game.
    Zynga sues sex app maker over Bang With Friends

Zynga sueing over trademark infringement is surely a case of the raven calling the crow black. Words With Friends is Scrabble, for them to sue over trademark infringement is ludicrous I so hope (though doubt) that they lose this case.

Charles loves his house-within-a house, his cage in our home. He's beginning to crawl onto human hands without nipping, while his tiny feet tickle the outstretched palm. He likes fortune cookies, but loves Fritos. And he seems to be cultivating a cross-species love affair with Guini the feline.

So much gladness from such a small creature.

Hope is the denial of reality