Page 148 of 209 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,440 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Engineers have shown that random seating is more efficient (from the point of view of the amount of time it takes for everyone to get into seats) than assigned seating.
    Engineers? I'll see your engineers and raise you physicists who have formally proven that ordered seating and entering an airplane is faster than entering randomly.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

There's also the issue that a bunch of people who buy tickets don't show up. Why not sell those seats twice if people are that stupid?
    The invisible hand is clearly a sadist.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

There's also the issue that a bunch of people who buy tickets don't show up. Why not sell those seats twice if people are that stupid?
    Um, no.

If I caught one of my staff doing that I would cut their hands off like Ness suggested earlier.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Engineers? I'll see your engineers and raise you physicists who have formally proven that ordered seating and entering an airplane is faster than entering randomly.
    The study I've seen said the exact opposite...
    Hope is the denial of reality

I'm not sure how you can have a formal proof for something like this. Actual board times are subject to all sorts of frictions and stochastic phenomena, and end up being empirically determined. Obviously a theoretical framework is useful to help understand the underlying sorting/queueing issues, but a formal proof that's meaningful? Doubtful. Do you have a source? I'm very curious to see how they accounted for these issues in a rigorous manner.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

You're forgetting: 'Merica!

That freedom, and choice, and guns! It trumps all science and math.
    At least according to out conservative news and politicians.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Computer model ~= formal proof. It's a simplified model of the world, not a mathematical proof of anything. I don't doubt there are methods superior to random boarding (though I question whether they're practical), but a formal proof??

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Computer model ~= formal proof. It's a simplified model of the world, not a mathematical proof of anything. I don't doubt there are methods superior to random boarding (though I question whether they're practical), but a formal proof??
    Well they also ran a sophisticated This vs. That experiment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9-XjEI8VmA

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Not related to this but really gets my geek juices flowing, the four colour problem was "solved" by a computer. Which is neat!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Yeah, I read about that again because Appel died recently and there were some interesting retrospectives. A large proportion of problems can't be formally proven by computer, though.

Just as well, automatizing science would suck from a job prospects perspective!

This is... possibly the best website, ever. I am so happy I live in a world where this exists.

http://www.billmurraystory.com/

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Aren't we speaking about cinemas? I don't think one has something to do with the other. I hardly every enter a cinema with hand luggage.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

or at the same time as everyone else.

The seats are also arranged a little differently.

The lock on one of the doors in the administration area jammed. I popped the door open with a credit card in under a minute. So far I've gotten emails questioning my history of breaking and entering and been called a spy.

Pretty neat to get transferred out of here a few days after a stunt like that

It's only 18 days till I invade USA for a 3 week holiday/vacation!

Nice!

Where ye going?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    It's only 18 days till I invade USA for a 3 week holiday/vacation!
    Don't write such stuff. There were UK tourists picked our at the US border control because they wrote "we are going to destroy the place" on Twitter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1242073.html

Even I as non-native speaker know that "destroying the place" or "burning down the house" are just terms for having a big fat party.

I'm not sure how you can have a formal proof for something like this. Actual board times are subject to all sorts of frictions and stochastic phenomena, and end up being empirically determined. Obviously a theoretical framework is useful to help understand the underlying sorting/queueing issues, but a formal proof that's meaningful? Doubtful. Do you have a source? I'm very curious to see how they accounted for these issues in a rigorous manner.
    OMG, you're making it more complicated than necessary. The obvious problem in airline boarding is the carry-on baggage, and people trying to stow it in overhead compartments...which delays the boarding process. Do you really need "formal proof" of something that's in front of your face?

My favorite thing about smaller planes is the lack of overhead storage, and bulky "carry-on" baggage immediately getting a yellow tag for under-belly carriage, with airline staff on-the-ready to check and stow. Simple, fast, efficient.
    Last edited by GGT; 08-14-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Nice!

Where ye going?
    San Francisco
    Yosemite National Park
    Carmel
    Cambria/San Luis Obisbo
    LA
    San Diego
    Las Vegas

I'm doing it in a SUV. I'm looking forward to Yosemite and Highway 1.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Don't write such stuff. There were UK tourists picked our at the US border control because they wrote "we are going to destroy the place" on Twitter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1242073.html

Even I as non-native speaker know that "destroying the place" or "burning down the house" are just terms for having a big fat party.
    Yeah, I had heard they're a little sensitive - apparently immigration is another location you must not joke around in, as they have no sense of humour. Shame really but they have a job to do and a serious one at that. I did get moaned at due to my haircut i'm currently sporting, apparently they won't like that either .

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Signed the papers that we 'will' adopt #2 Son. Now need to get finger printed AGAIN, and await a court date.

AND got our marriage license...
    Yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Finally got a Dishwasher but don't have any space in the kitchen originally suitable to put it so having to put my handyman skills to the test.

Managed to remove a kitchen cabinet and drawer that is roughly the same size from next to the sink without needing to remove the kitchen counter which I would not have fancied doing. Took all the screws out but that didn't do much as it seems to have been glued in place as well as screwed. I suspect the builders used No Nails or something like it to keep it sturdy as well as screwing it in place. From a combination of hitting things with a hammer and drill through dowels I've managed to completely destroy and demolish the cabinet and remove it without damaging the counter or surrounding cabinets.

Now I need to drill a hole to the main under-sink cabinet for the plumbing to go through, plumb it all correctly and figure out how I'm getting the plug to the socket. And dispose of what seems to be a bombsite now - not sure how one cabinet can make so much mess. Was thinking of re-using it elsewhere but that definitely won't be happening.

But chuffed at managing to get it all out now and just having a coffee before getting on with the next stage. Will be nice to have a working dishwasher, we've never had one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Finally got a Dishwasher but don't have any space in the kitchen originally suitable to put it so having to put my handyman skills to the test.

Managed to remove a kitchen cabinet and drawer that is roughly the same size from next to the sink without needing to remove the kitchen counter which I would not have fancied doing. Took all the screws out but that didn't do much as it seems to have been glued in place as well as screwed. I suspect the builders used No Nails or something like it to keep it sturdy as well as screwing it in place. From a combination of hitting things with a hammer and drill through dowels I've managed to completely destroy and demolish the cabinet and remove it without damaging the counter or surrounding cabinets.

Now I need to drill a hole to the main under-sink cabinet for the plumbing to go through, plumb it all correctly and figure out how I'm getting the plug to the socket. And dispose of what seems to be a bombsite now - not sure how one cabinet can make so much mess. Was thinking of re-using it elsewhere but that definitely won't be happening.

But chuffed at managing to get it all out now and just having a coffee before getting on with the next stage. Will be nice to have a working dishwasher, we've never had one.
    Hope it all works out as you want. You're really going to do all of it yourself? Including the plumbing?
    Congratulations America

Rand, hire a reputable plumber! Last thing you want is your brand new dishwasher slightly off-kilter and not draining properly, or the higher water pressure blowing through your flexible tubing and C-clamps....and flooding your entire kitchen. Especially if the plumbing under your sink didn't come with a pre-fab "insertion" point for add-ons like dishwashers or garbage disposals (and most don't).

Also, the electrical outlet needs to be GFI rated (or whatever they call it in the UK) for water and humidity conditions, with an automatic shut-off. I'd suggest you replace the plug-in "socket" with a hard-wired electrical connection, something a reputable plumber can do quite easily.

The safety and peace of mind is worth the cost. Especially since you have a baby on the way.....

PS, it's nice to have a direct water shut-off valve under the kitchen sink, too. Like laundry washing machines do.

Nah - nothing is more satisfying than doing these things yourself. And it's really the only way to learn.

I remember my first major plumbing job - putting in a new toilet. Very pleasing.

Just read up a bit so you don't end up with the problems Gee outlines. The washer should come with installation instructions.

And dishwashers are great. I miss having one at my lady's apartment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Tim, what kind of sewer seal did you use on your toilet? Wax-based or plastic-based?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    All expenses paid trip to Israel. Should be fun.
    Looks like it'll for a week in October.

And then again in December.

I'm actually trying to make that not happen, once should be plenty.