Page 180 of 209 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,400 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Wow! Place looks really good Minous.

Always amazed at how much space you merikans have compared to the little properties we put up with.

Looking at your pic above, place that size would command an asking price of $3m - $4m round where I live.
    Really depends on where you are in America. Places with lots of urban sprawl - especially the farther you are from the city center - are quite inexpensive (figure maybe $250k ballpark for a 3-4 BR on a quarter acre?). But in high density/demand areas with strict zoning rules, the sky is the limit. For a fixer upper 3BR with considerably less land, I would probably need well in excess of $1m, and my area isn't even that exclusive.

Blame building restrictions.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Its a 4 bedroom 2 bath. Its ADA designed, so its massively open inside. Master bathroom is larger than my sons current bedroom. All new stainless steel appliances. It was a flip from what we can tell, on the market for 2 weeks compared to everything else we were interested in going in a matter of days. Offered $245,000 to their asking price of 248,500 and they accepted within hours. Inspection is Friday and wire transfer will be done tomorrow.

Best part is the voluntary HOA. $35 a year for what amounts to nothing more than a committed neighborhood watch.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Nice place, OG
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Two weeks into my one month probation period at the new job, and I've been asked to assume an extra (long term) responsibility, so I'm guessing passing the probation won't be a problem I'm also already getting used to the cleanroom dressing and starting to become anal about cleaning everything in there Just the gloves are still a bitch, I can only seem to get them on properly about half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Cool! Are you in manufacturing, then, or R&D or what? Just guessing since you're in a cleanroom. (And GMP rules suck, as you will undoubtedly discover.)

I obviously don't know their technology with any level of detail (they're using some sort of electrospun scaffolds?), but I think there are real issues with the basic idea of bioresorbable CV devices. The mechanical environment is really critical for these devices, and bioresorbable scaffolds often have real issues getting the right elasticity/modulus in physiological loading regimes. This becomes a bigger issue as materials degrade (whose rate may be modified by the individual patient's disease state) and weaken. In theory it should be possible to repopulate and remodel the scaffolds at just the right rate to forestall these issues, but I question whether the technology exists to do that yet. There are also concerns re: cell organization and tissue deposition in vivo - you may get abnormal compliance developing if the valve doesn't grow perfectly after implantation, which can result in all sorts of serious flow problems (regurgitation, coarctation, etc.). Finally, blood-contacting materials are very susceptible to problems, and making something that will encourage cell infiltration and remodeling but won't cause, say, calcification, is a real challenge.

It's possible that Xeltis has solved these issues, which would be totally awesome. But most of the work I've seen on bioresorbable CV implants has been long on promise and short on results. I hope this is different!
    You might find this interesting

http://www.xeltis.com/wp-content/upl...t-AATS-EN1.pdf

Though it's not that clear on the side effects But basically the material has been in humans for about two years now and the patients are apparently fine. Though those were not actual valves, which is of course different.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Its a 4 bedroom 2 bath. Its ADA designed, so its massively open inside. Master bathroom is larger than my sons current bedroom. All new stainless steel appliances. It was a flip from what we can tell, on the market for 2 weeks compared to everything else we were interested in going in a matter of days. Offered $245,000 to their asking price of 248,500 and they accepted within hours. Inspection is Friday and wire transfer will be done tomorrow.

Best part is the voluntary HOA. $35 a year for what amounts to nothing more than a committed neighborhood watch.
    Congrats! I hope it turns out well for you, including the voluntary (?) HOA fees. If it's a flip, hopefully the inspectors can tell if the dry wall and flooring isn't from China, and doesn't pose a health risk to your family. And since you're essentially buying a school district, a police force, and public services that are either below sea level or in a flood plain/hurricane zone.....I hope it ALL works out.

I really like the new flat I bought 2 months ago. It's spacious and the area here is so green I sometimes feel like I'm living in a park. Despite the original idea that this would be temporary I could very well see us deciding against moving back to the center of Amsterdam. (That place is generating some nice extra income).
    Congratulations America

Inspection came back with no surprises considering its a 30 year old wood home that had everything replaced in 05.

One step closer!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Told the landlord. Told me to keep Junes rent. Gonna miss having that guy as a landlord.

Told the landlord. Told me to keep Junes rent. Gonna miss having that guy as a landlord.
    Given the gesture he's going to miss having you as a tenant.
    Congratulations America

We have a CSGO tournament that will be partially aired on TBS. And there's rumors abound of ESPN negotiating to get the tv rights for LoL's LCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Two weeks into my one month probation period at the new job, and I've been asked to assume an extra (long term) responsibility, so I'm guessing passing the probation won't be a problem I'm also already getting used to the cleanroom dressing and starting to become anal about cleaning everything in there Just the gloves are still a bitch, I can only seem to get them on properly about half the time.

You might find this interesting

http://www.xeltis.com/wp-content/upl...t-AATS-EN1.pdf

Though it's not that clear on the side effects But basically the material has been in humans for about two years now and the patients are apparently fine. Though those were not actual valves, which is of course different.
    Happy to hear the job is going well. It's hard to glean any useful scientific or clinical information from the press release, but certainly I hope it will work in a valve! That would be awesome. Good luck.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Happy that my sister's hip replacement surgery went well, and she's home now, just one day post-op. Happy to be amazed by modern bio-tech solutions for chronic medical problems.

Offered $245,000
    Appraisal came back at $244,000. Guess the past couple years of watching house flipping shows on HGTV paid off. We put it on our agent to see if she can get the price down those last few bucks.

Mortgage agent told us to find homeowner's insurance. fun times ahead.

1st ever property purchase?

Any competition for the property? Rival offers/bidders? Or is your offer the only one on the table?

First purchase.

The listing agent is the wife of the seller (our agent is a close friend of my wife). This is their first attempt at flipping a house on their own. She has been rather tight lipped but the husband has let slip that there was a constant flow of people coming to look at the home for the 2 weeks it was on the market. I figured out he is a county employee like myself and I made sure to strike up conversation around that so we would feel more personable to him.

They are selling the house at $244,000 but dropping their install of the termite barrier, which was going to be around $700. So thats going to be to priority one for us.

Just got from Akon. Exhausted but what a wonderful weekend!

Poorly translated user manuals At least, I'm pretty sure the device wasn't designed to go through all temperature settings randomly when you hold down the button. Plus it pretty much implies it will only work when the temperature is not within a range around the set value.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar

The last part is awesome.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

County shut down at 1pm today to allow everyone time to get home before the tropical storm flooding.

6.5 hours later, its barely even rained yet.

6.5 hours later, its barely even rained yet.
    Property isn't flooded yet, but the neighborhood is. School isn't cancelled but the principal called and said not to attempt attending today.

Granted I have a tab-hoarding habit verging on the extreme and debilitating, but lately my firefox has been incredibly slow and frequently unresponsive. I finally realized I could use the performance monitor in the dev tools to get a better idea of what was behind this new behaviour and it turned out to be scripts associated with facebook, twitter and google, esp. google plus. Thanks to noscript's ABE feature I could block those scripts from running on pages other than their host domain and presto, firefox is responsive again with no change to the number of open tabs. This is a bit annoying because I'll have to selectively add sites to the whitelist but far less annoying than not being able to use firefox. I guess you might call this happiness
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

My sister's hip replacement went well. She's done better than expected, and was doing exercises the first week that most patients weren't doing their first month. She was medically released to drive after just two weeks. I'm amazed by the whole thing.....not just her bionic hip but the entire medical/surgical process.

https://www.ecocapsule.sk/

This could be its own thread....

What a brilliant idea!

We sign the final paperwork Friday! Some poor fool is trusting me with a quarter million dollar loan and a house. whoa

Congratulations?

Time to take the house and flee to Mexico.
    Hope is the denial of reality

We sign the final paperwork Friday! Some poor fool is trusting me with a quarter million dollar loan and a house. whoa

Exciting times!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

It appears they weren't dissuaded by the copies of your posts that were mailed to them by an anonymous tipster

Congrats

Rofl:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...20-bill-224637

RB and Lewk outraged, vow to never spend cash again

Steve King would have been a great southern Democrat during the Jim Crow era.
    Hope is the denial of reality