Page 181 of 209 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,430 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

To be honest it's never been clear to me why you'd allow unrelated stuff to be added to a bill in the first place.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    To be honest it's never been clear to me why you'd allow unrelated stuff to be added to a bill in the first place.
    They can not only add unrelated stuff to a bill, they can also remove stuff from a bill.

After it has been already voted on.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Steam Sale... that's making me happy today.

Ok, I have to say it; Brexit.
    Congratulations America

Well, the island apes will be gone, that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Steam Sale... that's making me happy today.
    Its one of the worst sales steam has pushed. No community input, no event, horrible discounts. There are a few gems, but otherwise the weekend deals have been better.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Its one of the worst sales steam has pushed. No community input, no event, horrible discounts. There are a few gems, but otherwise the weekend deals have been better.
    It isn't as good as I would like it but I picked up some games been meaning to play for awhile at 50% so I'm pleased. Shadow run and FF series heavily discounted. (Though extremely sad the X and X-2 were not part of it )

SCOTUS decided that Texas laws that restrict abortion access is unconstitutional.

So something weird happened.

Growing up, I mostly lived with my dad, and over the years I grew to resent or even hate him. We had huge fights almost every single day, and it grew worse for every year. I understood very well why my mum couldn't live with him and I wished with all my heart that I could leave too.

It wasn't until I finally moved out that I could begin to understand and accept how and why he'd come to be the way he is, and that let me repair our relationship to some small extent. Over the past ten years we've worked out our boundaries, safe conversations, limits on how much time we can spend together etc. and these days I no longer feel any apprehension at the thought of visiting. I'm certainly happier than I was back then, and I get the feeling he is too, now that he's doing pretty much everything he's really passionate about. But there's still a clear distance between us which is not the case with me and my mum.

Anyway, the other day my sis said I just had to check out a discussion he was having on facebook. So with a great deal of trepidation I added him on facebook and, lo and behold, my dad, who was in my mind (and in the mind of most people I know) a person who only cared about science and education, was in the middle of an extremely heated discussion he'd provoked by saying that Muslims must break the taboo around minority sexual orientations, that there was no excuse for educated Muslims to continue to treat these as dangerous psychiatric illnesses and compassion should compel everyone to accept people, regardless of their sexual orientation, without judgement. In another discussion, he was calling on Muslims to acknowledge and accept non-binary conceptions of human gender. In yet another, he was championing the right to swim in public, against those who consider bikinis to be immodest. Some of these discussions between highly educated people--many of them doctors--devolved into flame-wars, with my dad and others on the one hand accusing the opponents of being homophobes and those opponents explaining that my dad was a degenerate Atheist.

I was like wtf. I was really nervous but there was at least one comment in one of those discussions (a bullshit comment misreporting studies about mental health issues among people with minority sexual orientations) that demanded a thorough and measured response so I posted my view, right out there in the open, and received a couple of likes including one from my dad. This was like wading into enemy territory. I still can't get over how weird it felt.

Weird but also pretty cool. Sure, my dad is an even greater troll and a jerk than I am, but he's also extremely progressive and has a strong sense of justice and fairness and doing the most right thing to the best of his ability. I'd forgotten this about him but it's always been there, beyond my immediate view, the reasons why my mum fell for him in the first place. Helping his family rise out of extreme poverty, helping refugees, working with the poor, refusing to con patients, going above and beyond to help the most fragile people in society, working to reduce smoking, fighting for environmentally friendly policies, taking on neglected but talented students and now working for a reformation of traditional Muslim views on sex and gender. It's pretty cool. But hella weird.

In other news, I've now embarked on four more weeks of vacation. June has been weird. This ER-rotation has entailed 8 night shifts in one month, with the rest of the month off as TOIL/comp-time. I was skeptical at first but I must admit it's pretty compelling. The work is exciting as all hell, even more fun than my previous ER-rotations that were more specific, and working this way has made it easier to adjust to night-shifts while the time off has been, in a word, awesome. I'll be taking on more shifts, bothj on short notice this month and scheduled next year (if they'll have me) just to feel it out a little more thoroughly and see if I want to reconsider my choice of specialty and also to get some extra time off in case we spawn.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Your dad sounds quite an incredible man. Sums up the words moral courage by the way you've described him here. No fear of standing up for what he feels is right. And against very ingrained muslim traditions/beliefs too.

I think I can also understand how such a man may drive others to distraction, including those closest to him.

Glad you are making inroads to (re-)building your relationship.

It's been just four months now since my own father passed, and I realise how lucky I was that he was a loving man, who put family first. I never struggled in our relationship. I have much of his manner and approach to life - we're pretty similar people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

A friend turned me on to a weekly D&D show featuring voice actors called Critical Role. It's a bit of a pain playing catch up when each episode ranges from 2-4.5 hours, but I have laughed so much and love how it's gotten a group of friends into starting our own campaign.

I remembered this place existed...
    Such is Life...

Shouldn't that be in the opposite thread?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I kind of predicted it: The AfD is splintering apart, like a number of other similar parties before (the Schill party also self-destructed rather spectacularly after their initial success). With the moderates seceding, the rest will show their true face even more prominently and ultimately become the new NPD.

Moderates = hate Muslims
    Extremists = hate Muslims and Jews
    Hope is the denial of reality

Yeah, well, it's a relative term, of course.

The moderate left with Lucke.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

My god, you guys are still here?

Wow, my username still works here?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Shouldn't that be in the opposite thread?
    I did consider that...
    Such is Life...

I'm very happy with my upgraded El Capitan OS, and found new private search engines like duckduckgo. I'm happy that Firefox/Mozilla helped me upgrade Java and Flash. I'm especially happy that I did it on my own, without help from my kids. (They like to think they have some leg up, just because they're young).

I got exciting news about a person you probably have seen on TV, who liked a suggestion I made.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Had my first (internal) audit, which went well. Even got some compliments and a positive observation. Okay, I also got three nonconformities, but those were for things I was aware of but did not have time for yet, and the auditors said they were confident I could handle them.

Now to prepare for the more important audit for our ISO certification in September..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Norwegian music these days

Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Just got the anniversary update installed. About damn time we had a dark theme without having to play in the registry.

While I was checking out the situation in Istanbul, my husband was partying on a boat alongside the Prinsengracht (Amsterdam). The party ended on a somewhat sour note when he realised his iPhone was nowhere to be found. Being the technophobe that he is he already had given up on it. But, when I heard about what had happened, I got on my iPad and established almost immediately that the phone had been at the place where they had disembarked. On, and reacting to calls, though nobody answered. So he went back, with a friend and they searched the entire area. But they couldn't find anything, despite me using the sound function constantly. Just when they were about to give up, the friend asked the woman working at a temporary set of public toilets if she maybe had found the phone. Her answer was that she hadn't found a phone but that she'd been puzzled quite a bit by the fact that a phone seemed to be ringing in one of the cubicles without her being able to find any phone. After a thourough inspection of said cubicle it turned out that someone had pushed the phone into a rim under the toilet seat (my guess is with the intention of leaving it there for later pick up) but obviously had not been able to retrieve it once the group from the boat had dispersed. Ronald managed to get the phone out, and aside from an obvious need of a good cleaning of the exterior, he's got his phone back without any further problem.

Question of course remains; how exactly did that phone get there? The group on the boat was rather random, and then of course we don't even know if the person who hid it in the cubicle was on the boat or got his hands on it later.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Echovirus View Post
    Just got the anniversary update installed. About damn time we had a dark theme without having to play in the registry.
    I don't see how, so its got to be coincidence but my computer deleted my D: partition when applying the anniversary update. That was a bitch to get back.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I don't see how, so its got to be coincidence but my computer deleted my D: partition when applying the anniversary update. That was a bitch to get back.
    turns out that it was the anniversary update that did it. thanks microsoft :\

I feel somewhat 'happy' that I'm dragging myself into the 21st century digital age....even though it feels like swimming in toxic sludge, or hanging on a cliff. I took the leap and got rid of my land-line phone (that I've had for almost 30 years), and switched to a cell phone service. The transition hasn't been easy. Many hiccoughs along the way.

At the same time I opted out of the Xfinity/comcast cable TV morass.....because it was such a rip-off, and signed up for Direct TV.

I hope I've looked at the contract fully, and got the "best deal" for my money, because I've now got a satellite dish installed on my roof.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Gary Linekar stated at the start of this footy season that he will present the first episode of Match of the Day next season in his underpants if Leicester win the Premier League title.

Now that they are, absolutely unbelievably, odds on favourites to win the league, Linekar looks like he will indeed have to.

[

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Much to be happy about all in one go

- my mum got five free tickets to the opening night of the play in which she plays a minor part (but with lines!) after being really worried she wouldn't get enough tickets she's had it pretty rough for years now and this play has given her so much joy and it's gonna be SO FUN to see it! She hasn't been on stage since college even though she loves it and they'll be doing several performances every week at least through september.

- I now have five offers from five different clinics and five different specialties. I'd thought my future was already determined and that I'd continue in the field in which I'd worked for three years but I've been reminded of just how fun everything else is as well... I don't think I'll be changing my plans but it's nice to know that I can, if I'd like.

- my best mate has been struggling with something for nigh on ten years now and today I learned that he's kapowed that something right into the ground. I'm almost happier than I was on my wedding day

- my in-laws brought ovber a ten-year-old bottle of cachaça that my wife had brought home from her year in Brazil. I don't know if it's safe to drink anymore but I'll tell you this: with tonic, lime and ginger-syrup it is frickin' delicious. Yes, I have partaken.

- WEEKEND! Extremely relaxing and unproductive weekend my alarm has been set for 05:45 AM for the past month and from now on there will be sleep-ins almost every day... <3
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."