Page 188 of 209 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I was attempting to make a reservation, for our wedding anniversary, at our favourite restaurant in London. I'd been putting it off for a long time and was worried there wouldn't be any tables available, but it looked like there was... until I tried to confirm the booking. Error, error, error, no matter what I did. With a sinking feeling in my chest I tried to book through OpenTable instead and discovered that the last open slot for that date and time was no longer available. All other slots were much worse, but I made a reservation for the evening before our anniversary just in case, while hoping that it'd sort itself out.

Then I remembered that OpenTable holds a selected time-slot for 5 minutes and realized that my first searches, via another site that uses OpenTable, had activated such a hold, which was preventing me from booking that same slot directly via their website. Long story short, I waited a few minutes and was then able to change my booking to the right date and time

Patience is a virtue, to which I find myself less able to adhere the more time I spend on the internet.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm sure many of you have already seen this, but I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe not 'happy' inducing, but still very interesting.

http://sudoscript.com/reddit-place/
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

It was interesting and unsurprising at the same time. Its not a new concept and I remember spending weeks playing around on a similar canvas idea back in middle school.

The admins barely had a grasp of the concept for nearly the entire time it ran. At first everyone launched in the middle. Of which a giant penis was born. But directing everyone to an april fool's joke and having a giant red cock be the first thing they see isn't considered PC, so they started dropping new users in random places around the map.

Then the streamers and bot users came in with their dozens of accounts and started hijacking everything. OSU along the bottom caused a lot of grief. Admins started randomizing the refresh time to mess with the bots, but the damage was already done and regular users were getting overly annoyed at the random wait times.

Then suddenly without warning reddit gave up and shut the whole thing down.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The big night sky viewed from my patio. It's especially special during full moons. Trying to preserve this memory, in anticipation of selling and moving, makes me appreciate it even more. An odd happiness.

We heard the ice-cream truck and sprinted out and caught it I haven't done that in over 20 years. Now we have too much ice-cream.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/n...rnor-poll.html

80% disapprove of Christie.
    15% approve.
    6% answer with some form of profanity.

Oh, New Jersey. The gift that keeps on giving.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Not so good at addition, those New Jersites.

The main payback against the guy is him being Trump before Trump, and yet Trump is president and he's about to be nothing.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I had an extremely pleasant shift on call and, on the walk home, i was at one point suddenly surrounded by a large swarm of little white butterflies I haven't seen those in ages.

I call those flutterbies. Even if someone says they're moths.

I spent some time on youtube listening to renditions of "Fly me to the moon" after seeing a commercial by Ameritrade. It made me 'happy' that the internet offers so many links to so many artists singing the same song.

A few months ago my flatmate joined a small pseudo-religious group - one of those where people meet up in a flat, talk about Jesus and stuff for a bit, and then donate money to the "pastor". He's not religious or anything, he joined them mostly for shits and giggles (and partially because a friend of his insisted that he joins). As soon as he joined, he started trolling that group in various ways.

Today I found out they're ready to pay him to stop showing up at their meetings.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

You know, that would have been so much funnier if he wouldn't have joined a group that is routinely ridiculed but a nice little bunch of radicalized muslims.
    Congratulations America

Every religion needs its Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    You know, that would have been so much funnier if he wouldn't have joined a group that is routinely ridiculed but a nice little bunch of radicalized muslims.
    Yeah, those groups are relatively hard to find. Can't really put up ads openly.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Quote Originally Posted by BalticSailor View Post
    Yeah, those groups are relatively hard to find. Can't really put up ads openly.
    Rubbish, they are easier to find than christian groups that gather in people's living rooms. The truth is that your friend takes pride in what by other people would simply call bullying of the weak. It's about as funny as a nazi in a synagogue.
    Congratulations America

I'm surprised that's not a band name.

Rubbish, they are easier to find than christian groups that gather in people's living rooms.
    In Latvia? Good luck finding any. The living room sects, on the other hand, are hardly unheard of.

The truth is that your friend takes pride in what by other people would simply call bullying of the weak.
    Cry me a river. The "weak" in question are nothing more than con artists, and their recruitment tactics tend to resemble what you'd expect from pyramid schemes.

It's about as funny as a nazi in a synagogue.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Had my first relaxed and almost entirely uneventful night on call in ages, and today we kicked off six weeks of vacation with the first costume party I've attended in like a million years My paperwork is done, I'll have time to prepare some presentations before/between trips, run, enjoy the spectacular weather (which arrived just in time) and of course catch up on a ton of leisure reading--not to mention sleep. Meanwhile, the ginger one is bursting with energy and finally able to properly recover from this shitty year.

I've finally signed a contract with a realtor, putting my home for sale on the open market. I'm happy but anxious, mostly ambivalent. The paperwork was intimidating. The property disclosure form alone was 10 pages. And the realtor's forms were several more pages (seller's agent, buyer's agent, dual agent).

I had a couple that's friends with my neighbor that wanted me to write an exclusion to the realtor's contract, so it got wonky for a while. But now there's a lockbox on my front door....and soon a photographer will be taking pics of *my home* that will be posted on the internet....and strangers will be walking thru *my home*. So I have mixed feelings about the whole process.

But I'm trying to remind myself how "happy" I'll be after I sell *my home* and move onto the next phase of life

Good luck with the transition, I imagine it won't be easy but I hope it works out for you.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

School starts tomorrow.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

My kids made the transatlantic flight to Greece without incident.
    I had another showing of my house-for-sale.
    The weather is great and I don't need to close the windows and turn on the A/C.
    I'm not in a hurricane zone or flood plane.

Happiness is relative, ya know

Finally good news on the academic front.

They're giving you a swiveling chair?? A room with a window and ventilation?? Come on man don't be so mysterious, spill

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    My kids made the transatlantic flight to Greece without incident.
    I had another showing of my house-for-sale.
    The weather is great and I don't need to close the windows and turn on the A/C.
    I'm not in a hurricane zone or flood plane.

Happiness is relative, ya know
    I dunno, that sounds good in absolute terms as well

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    They're giving you a swiveling chair?? A room with a window and ventilation?? Come on man don't be so mysterious, spill
    Close to publishing something I've been working on since early grad school (after at least half a dozen rejections and major revisions).

Oh damn, congrats! that has got to be intensely satisfying and validating. What's the topic? Have you prepared yourself psychologically for the coming storm of abuse from triggered authorities?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Oh damn, congrats! that has got to be intensely satisfying and validating. What's the topic? Have you prepared yourself psychologically for the coming storm of abuse from triggered authorities?
    If only the authorities ever read poli sci journals.

Fairly basic argument about the impact of the military on conflict. People found it difficult to test properly, and I think I have a solution (one that's based more on using logic than advanced stats; a fancy stats variant was rejected in the past for not being sufficiently fancy).