Page 189 of 189 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 5650

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Smooth Jazz Dispenser EmperorNorton's Avatar
    Two weeks ago I applied for a part-time IT position at my college. The interview was last Thursday, and by Tuesday I was offered the job. As of tomorrow I will be an official employee.

Superb! Grats on being gainful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    "Scientists raise alarm: bananas can cause EU"

Congrats
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Now your fellow students can demand services from you because their taxes pay your salary (assuming this is a public college).
    Hope is the denial of reality

Discovered that this city has a very effective outreach program for reaching those homeless who've fallen between the cracks and lost touch with everyone and been unable to find their way back despite wanting help. They're open till very late at night. One quick call and bam. Shame they aren't more well known. Most people think they have to try to reach the municipality's social services (impossible phone hours, long queues) or a shelter (difficult to figure out where the nearest one is, have to go all the way there). Calling a number and having someone show up very quickly lowers the threshold for acting and also makes a successful intervention that much more likely. You can't help everyone--often you might feel like you can't help anyone--but sometimes you'll do something seemingly futile that will change someone's life. If you live in a big city, there's a good chance there's a decent sized homeless population where some have fallen between the cracks even by their standards. No doubt there's a similar sort of outreach program you can quickly get in touch with, should the need ever arise. Take a few minutes to find this info and tell your friends about it.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

On a less serious note I decided to go through the updates on instagram for the first time in ages and realized suddenly that the account where my lil sis has been dumping all her daily doodles suddenly contains a ton of things I want on our walls, on notebooks, on t-shirts etc. Cool to see her exploring different styles and techniques and gaining in confidence. So proud also can't wait to get mah prints.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Found another monarch butterfly on my patio today, just after 'hatching' from its chrysallis. She decided to hang out overnight, probably because it was late in the day when she emerged, and it got chilly before her wings could air out. It looks just like a yellowish leaf hanging on the rhododendron bush, with her wings tucked. I'm so happy to have found it, the 10th chrysallis on my patio! Plus the numerous monarchs fluttering by this week, so very pretty!

Found an SNES Classic at WalMart this morning! to late deliveries!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Realizing my green thumb.
    Seeing monarch butterflies fly from my milkweed hatchery.
    Having toads and frogs and walking sticks and preying mantis and crickets and bats in my back yard.
    Looking at the full moon and big sky stars from my patio.

Not feeling so alone or lonely

For Minx:

Hope is the denial of reality