Page 189 of 209 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,670 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Two weeks ago I applied for a part-time IT position at my college. The interview was last Thursday, and by Tuesday I was offered the job. As of tomorrow I will be an official employee.

Superb! Grats on being gainful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Congrats
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Now your fellow students can demand services from you because their taxes pay your salary (assuming this is a public college).
    Hope is the denial of reality

Discovered that this city has a very effective outreach program for reaching those homeless who've fallen between the cracks and lost touch with everyone and been unable to find their way back despite wanting help. They're open till very late at night. One quick call and bam. Shame they aren't more well known. Most people think they have to try to reach the municipality's social services (impossible phone hours, long queues) or a shelter (difficult to figure out where the nearest one is, have to go all the way there). Calling a number and having someone show up very quickly lowers the threshold for acting and also makes a successful intervention that much more likely. You can't help everyone--often you might feel like you can't help anyone--but sometimes you'll do something seemingly futile that will change someone's life. If you live in a big city, there's a good chance there's a decent sized homeless population where some have fallen between the cracks even by their standards. No doubt there's a similar sort of outreach program you can quickly get in touch with, should the need ever arise. Take a few minutes to find this info and tell your friends about it.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

On a less serious note I decided to go through the updates on instagram for the first time in ages and realized suddenly that the account where my lil sis has been dumping all her daily doodles suddenly contains a ton of things I want on our walls, on notebooks, on t-shirts etc. Cool to see her exploring different styles and techniques and gaining in confidence. So proud also can't wait to get mah prints.

Found another monarch butterfly on my patio today, just after 'hatching' from its chrysallis. She decided to hang out overnight, probably because it was late in the day when she emerged, and it got chilly before her wings could air out. It looks just like a yellowish leaf hanging on the rhododendron bush, with her wings tucked. I'm so happy to have found it, the 10th chrysallis on my patio! Plus the numerous monarchs fluttering by this week, so very pretty!

Found an SNES Classic at WalMart this morning! to late deliveries!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Realizing my green thumb.
    Seeing monarch butterflies fly from my milkweed hatchery.
    Having toads and frogs and walking sticks and preying mantis and crickets and bats in my back yard.
    Looking at the full moon and big sky stars from my patio.

Not feeling so alone or lonely

For Minx:

Hope is the denial of reality

Genius.

In all seriousness, it was actually a pretty thought-provoking and well-done musical. If it comes to your town, you should consider watching it. I haven't read the source material, but apparently it doesn't suck either.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I am happy that I sold my house. I'm feeling happy because I'm drinking wine. I'm drinking wine because selling my home made me feel sad.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I am happy that I sold my house. I'm feeling happy because I'm drinking wine. I'm drinking wine because selling my home made me feel sad.
    You drink too much. Congratulations on selling your home.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Doctor has declared mom cancer free with "wide margins". Moving forward is all about healing and rebuilding what was lost.
    Gonna have to move this back to the other thread. The cancer came back, doctors now took out the lower half of her jaw. I likely won't hear my mom speak ever again.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

sorry to hear that
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Gonna have to move this back to the other thread. The cancer came back, doctors now took out the lower half of her jaw. I likely won't hear my mom speak ever again.
    But you're happy she's still alive, right?

Short of getting into a philosophical debate about longevity vs quality of life.....

but in that same vein....

I'm feeling "happy" about my home sale purge. Down-sizing is hard but it also has its perks! It will not only make my own life simpler, easier, lighter, but it will also make my future death less complicated for my kids. Less shit to sort thru. At least that's what I tell myself every time I put a thing in the donate or trash pile.

Reddit was in full blown panic mode this morning. Seems EA is making a lot of tone deaf responses to people raising concerns about their loot crate and reward system in Battlefront II. Requiring 40+ hours of grinding to unlock iconic characters like Vader. Between calling complainers "armchair developers" and the progression system a form of "pride and accomplishment" everyone has lost their god damn minds.

EA now holds the record for the most disliked (downvoted) comment in the history of reddit, with a post thats sitting at negative 300,000 points. That type of history making response somehow spread all over reddit with other communities either in lock down or recently coming out of it. People have moved on to sharing links for the easiest way to cancel preorders and the "fix but not a fix" response to expect within the next 48 hours. I can only hope the insanity continues through launch and the gaming community can finally move past this loot box stupidity.

Reddit was in full blown panic mode this morning. Seems EA is making a lot of tone deaf responses to people raising concerns about their loot crate and reward system in Battlefront II. Requiring 40+ hours of grinding to unlock iconic characters like Vader. Between calling complainers "armchair developers" and the progression system a form of "pride and accomplishment" everyone has lost their god damn minds.

EA now holds the record for the most disliked (downvoted) comment in the history of reddit, with a post thats sitting at negative 300,000 points. That type of history making response somehow spread all over reddit with other communities either in lock down or recently coming out of it. People have moved on to sharing links for the easiest way to cancel preorders and the "fix but not a fix" response to expect within the next 48 hours. I can only hope the insanity continues through launch and the gaming community can finally move past this loot box stupidity.
    I'm pretty thrilled at this myself. Not a fan of this trend in recent years. I will be VERY curious if this creates sizable enough impact on sales figures.

I had a call with someone who has a very senior role in my industry, and he publicly praised two of my questions as fantastic in front of my two bosses. Yeah, that felt pretty good.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I'm pretty thrilled at this myself. Not a fan of this trend in recent years. I will be VERY curious if this creates sizable enough impact on sales figures.
    I doubt it will have any impact at all. These people always complain loudly, but quietly make purchases anyways.

Last night on call for a while. Good patients, very helpful and good med-student. Ten day break starting tomorrow and I have a pile of books to gobble down first nice November ever in this town.

Feeling happier about down-sizing, even tho it's incredibly hard. Letting go of the stuff that used to justify over 3,000 sf of living space, getting rid of a basement + garage + attic forces me to decide what's really important, and valuable. Feel a lightness and freedom in making the decisions my parents and grand-parents couldn't or wouldn't, deciding what's worth saving or throwing away.

I can hardly believe the crap I've found in boxes, that I've been carrying around for years, because someone before me couldn't throw it away. Get this, my mother had saved my hair from 1966! Pretty blonde pony tails saved in plastic bags. WTF. It was shoved in a box of "SAVE" things, and no one had really sorted thru the boxes; they just kept getting shuffled around from state to state, year after year.

Long story short, I took my saved hair to the salon that cuts my hair every 5 weeks. Hoped that "Locks for Love" could use it to make wigs for chemo patients. Just short of 10 inches, so no go. Then I was told that it didn't matter, really, because wigs made from real hair are more expensive than synthetic hair, and aren't covered by insurance.
    Last edited by GGT; 11-17-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Happy that my son invited his friends over for one last party at the house. The Thanksgiving holiday was good timing; his college friends are home for the holiday. Made me quite happy to see the old gang, hear their loud music and lots of laughter. A nice (but bittersweet) way to say goodbye to this house, which holds so many good memories

So I was annoyed about coming back to work after my ten day break but this is turning out to be a very pleasant week. Outpatient work, plenty of time to catch up on paperwork, I'm coming home on time, my conference- & literature funding looks like it'll be sorted out, we're getting 1100 EUR back due to the flight delay on the trip back from London (thank you EU) and probably a little more from the travel insurance. We're looking at cars and having a hard time deciding between old subarus and slightly newer priuses but it's a pleasant dilemma. Best of all, I'm a month from paying off mum's debt to Big Brother and we're making some progress on her house-building plans. Just over three years to go until retirement. I must say, after the past few months, this is a very welcome reprieve from bullshit, frustration and unpleasant surprises. Already Christmassy too

Feeling better about downsizing. One more week as a homeowner: last time to clean gutters, rake leaves, deadhead perennials, change furnace filter, replace outdoor bulbs, all that jazz. I mowed the lawn just last week! Time to let all that go and let someone else do the work

I've reduced all the stuff of my life to a few boxes, de-cluttered, simplified, ready to move on! Did I mention that I'll be totally debt-free? Anticipating that lightness makes me feel happy. And I'll be super happy if it snows (because I love snow) but I won't have to shovel it!

oh yeah, and I'll be able to WALK to a grocery store, a pizza joint, a Chinese place, and a bank!
    Last edited by GGT; 12-08-2017 at 06:55 AM.

I was allowed to activate my copy of Windows 10 Pro on my new Ryzen computer using a key I had used multiple times previously that came with the Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition that I won when I hosted a Windows house party 8 years ago.

Don't know why, don't care, happy I saved a few bucks.

I was allowed to activate my copy of Windows 10 Pro on my new Ryzen computer using a key I had used multiple times previously that came with the Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition that I won when I hosted a Windows house party 8 years ago.

I believe they generally allow a few more installs per key than advertised before they make an issue out of it. I believe it's only when a key has been reused a substantial number of times that they flag it as problematic.

I'll let it slide just this once.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Feeling better about downsizing. One more week as a homeowner: last time to clean gutters, rake leaves, deadhead perennials, change furnace filter, replace outdoor bulbs, all that jazz. I mowed the lawn just last week! Time to let all that go and let someone else do the work

I've reduced all the stuff of my life to a few boxes, de-cluttered, simplified, ready to move on! Did I mention that I'll be totally debt-free? Anticipating that lightness makes me feel happy. And I'll be super happy if it snows (because I love snow) but I won't have to shovel it!

oh yeah, and I'll be able to WALK to a grocery store, a pizza joint, a Chinese place, and a bank!
    Really happy to hear everything's going well with the move GGT

Two days ago, I walked to work over ice and asphalt. On the way back home, I had to wade through 20 cm of snow. On the way to work the next day, it was slush. Today, pools of water over ice. This is wreaking havoc with my Christmas spirit.

Mixed happy feelings, but that's how it goes with big life changes, right? Just a couple of days left in this house....happy that one son was present for all the "last things", like the last big meal, the last fire, the last big moon, the last snow fall, in this house. Rather sorry that my other son was absent, since this was his childhood home.

But happy that we'll all be together again, in my new apartment, sometime during the holidays! It really is true that home isn't a place, but a mindset. (Reminder to self)