Page 192 of 209 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202 ... LastLast
Results 5,731 to 5,760 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

My RMAed motherboard finally arrived, so I built an open air / test bench for it and the temps and noise are way down. So yipee.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Waiting for my first job interview in 3 years, have to say I'm a little nervous but also excited
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Keep it metal
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Think it went well. Saw an automated breast milk pump tester, which is definitely not something I've seen before
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Nor something you can unsee

Please tell me that this is somehow improving breast pumps. The ones around when I was breastfeeding made me feel like a cow.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I bought an Acer Chromebook earlier this week. So far I am extremely pleased.
    Congratulations America

I fired a gun today. For the first time in my life.
    Congratulations America

Now you can protect Amsterdam we go skeet-shooting from time to time, and I've tried shooting with hunting rifles, but no real handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Now you can protect Amsterdam we go skeet-shooting from time to time, and I've tried shooting with hunting rifles, but no real handguns.
    Yeah, with the Brexit apocalypse looming. There were 2 handguns; a 22mm and a 29mm. To my surprise my aim was better with the 29. Despite the fact that it felt more difficult to control.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Yeah, with the Brexit apocalypse looming. There were 2 handguns; a 22mm and a 29mm. To my surprise my aim was better with the 29. Despite the fact that it felt more difficult to control.
    I never really got the appeal. To me, if I train to use a firearm it's likely to be something with actual stopping power, and only because I expect to need the skill. Happy you enjoyed, though.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I sure hope you were firing a .22 caliber and not a 22mm handgun! I'm not familiar with the 29mm (I'm guessing caliber?) cartridge - is that a common European round?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I sure hope you were firing a .22 caliber and not a 22mm handgun! I'm not familiar with the 29mm (I'm guessing caliber?) cartridge - is that a common European round?
    I probably messee up the calibers, but shooting was more fun than I expected.
    Congratulations America

I probably messee up the calibers, but shooting was more fun than I expected.
    Glad you enjoyed it! What are the rules surrounding firearms where you live? Does using them require membership in a shooting club?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it! What are the rules surrounding firearms where you live? Does using them require membership in a shooting club?
    TBH I don't know the rules in Holland. But here in Istanbul (Turkey) it was as simple as going to a shooting range (indoor), sign in, and pick which guns you'd like to try. Everything was supervised from beginning to the end though. I got a demonstration of how to load and shoot. Then I got explained how to actually shoot and then do it.
    The smaller gun was easy to handle and had minimal recoil. With the second gun I felt less in control, but funnily enough my aim with it was better.
    Congratulations America

Last night in NY we had an electrical transformer fire that created plasma and lit-up the night sky with blue light (due to low clouds). You could see it from miles away, and could hear a humming of electricity for miles too.

No one was injured, there was just some flight delays due to power issues (which isn't great for those experiencing it). But it was pretty and unique! Like a northern lights

I'm kinda sad that made you feel happy.

... so is he

Happy to have learned about Tara Westover and her amazing story (on public radio).

https://tarawestover.com/

The slick web site is quixotic. Wow

Hope is the denial of reality

I'm happy to be a renter now, living in an apartment complex that plows, shovels, and salts our streets, sidewalks, and steps. And I'm happy to live within walking distance to a grocery store, a bakery, a pizzeria, and a 24 hr gas station/convenience store with an ATM.

If this ice-snow storm gets as bad as predicted, I won't feel trapped at home. And if the power goes out, we'll be a priority for the utility companies. (So much better than waiting around as a small neighborhood of individual houses.)

My sister living in rural Indiana dug a "latrine" in their backyard, after losing power several times during this storm cell. Seriously. And she's using portable gas heaters to keep their pipes from freezing. They live miles away from the nearest volunteer fire dept. and they don't have water hydrants. But that's for the WTF thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Aye my sister is a deputy head teacher at a primary school in Tottenham and lives nearby. It really is very run down. Also home to the notorious Broadwater Farm estate which has just about the worst reputation in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

This thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/nick_kapu...23836209872897

The internet isn't all bad

Finally dumped Frontier

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Nice. Wish we had that at my school - but, no, some dimwit (at the state level) decided that 100 Mbps is enough for a school with 1,700 pupils. Which includes 500 school-owned network connected PCs and a semi-public WLAN for teachers' and pupils' devices.

Hell, 10 years back when I was living in a students' dormitory I already had symmetrical Gbit. But, sure, always speak of the "challenge of digitalization" and then don't actually give us the tools to deal with that.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Snow! Just a couple of inches, but I love it! We haven't had many snow events this winter, so any time it comes I'm happy. Makes everything so pretty dusted in white. Even the black rooftops look clean, wearing a fresh blanket.

It's not really accumulating on the streets so there are no loud plows, and it's the middle of the night so there aren't any people driving or playing in it, so it's a quiet snow. The very best kind.

As I was walking home, a little girl jumped down from a huge pile of snow, landing right in front me. She fixed me with an angry look and snapped, "I am the first bloke to land on the moon!" I was a little skeptical because she couldn't say which side of the moon she'd landed on, but I didn't call bullshit on the claim; after all, Neil Armstrong died less than seven years ago, and the numbers kinda work out.

More snow!

But it's not the light, fluffy, quiet kind. Ice, sleet, and freezing rain expected. "Weather Emergency" declared for the region. Roads and schools closed, traffic accidents, flights canceled, all sorts of transportation messes.

But I'm feeling happy anyway! Snug as a bug in my apartment and glad to be a renter. I used to love shoveling snow as a homeowner, especially when my kids were little, and any snow event was a fun family event. But now that I'm older, and the kids are grown and gone, it's nice to have other people automatically do the work of snow removal. No phone calls or extra payments required, it just gets done. Happy Snow!

The Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne MOOC on reactive programming is awesome
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame