Page 193 of 209 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,790 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

First day of my spring vacation, so I went and bought something.

Click to view the full version

It's no baby blue Porsche, but I love it so far.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Sweet, it just needs some neon sill lights to complete the look.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post

It's no baby blue Porsche, but I love it so far.
    If it has puppies....
    Congratulations America

Base V6 with 305hp. 4th car I've own, and the fastest so far. Purely a pleasure puchase, but I did trade in my 12 year old Saturn with the roadster engine for it.

Got it for a song through an old friend who knew I've wanted a plum purple or furious fuchsia Challenger since they were brought back. It's a credit union repo with 4k miles and looks like the previous owner spent his money on cigarettes rather than car payments. The smell and burn marks on the rear bench was making it hard to move at what the credit union was allowed to sell it for (pushing 2 months sealed up on the lot) so I got it at just a smidge over their at cost auction price.

Thing rides so damn smooth, 50mph feels like your crawling and I hit 90 on the interstate before I realize I needed to check my speed. I can still manage to get the back end lose with the right amount of gas but it's a lot easier to control compared to my old 240sx.

Going to get a proper key for it this week, then get the rear bench reupholstered. After that I'll focus on bolt on like struts and a cold air intake. Around 30k miles I'll worry about new rims and a stronger exhaust system.

It has a lot of the same options, knobs and buttons my wife's van has, and thanks to dodge/chrylser getting the most they can out of their platforms the rear seat is the same size as a charger or 300, so even with a car seat the 3 girls fit in the back without issues.

It's going to take a while to get the smoke smell out, my whole fucking garage smells like cigarettes now.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Took the new car out to disney, by a stroke of luck I managed to visit the same weekend as the life size LEGO Bugatti

Also bought a new toy
    Spoiler:

Got some seat covers installed with the car seat and dvd players on the headrests.

Looking at a rear window louver and a cold air intake next.

The world may be sucky, but then there's this:

"When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    The world may be sucky, but then there's this:

Aww, congrats Wiggin! Your little boy looks to be about the same age as mine. You have a daughter too, right?

In this photo he's about 8 months. Our first is 4 and change.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    In this photo he's about 8 months. Our first is 4 and change.
    Our daughter is turning 4 in a few months, and our son is just over a year. Hopefully he's letting you get some sleep at night.

awww, babies!

I'm happy that my 'baby' came around to make Sunday dinner: manicotti with Italian sausage and 4 cheeses (provolone baked on top). Simply delicious! And he did the dishes, too!

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Wouldn't say it made me 'happy' but I got a real kick from reading old threads while using the 'search' function. Couldn't find what I was looking for, but that didn't really matter. I was struck by how long we've been asking the same types of questions as the world changed, just with different titles.

Maybe perseverance is a form of hope, and that's why I keep coming back to this forum, regardless of the SSDD redundancies?

Paging TWF Scandinavian friends: Has anyone here traveled from Oslo to Bergen? If so, can you recommend any places to stay south of Bergen.

South of Bergen I'd say Lisbon, but for less derisive recommendations PM kazuha

How the fuck did I miss this

Is that a Dodge Challenger??

A V8?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Challenger. Just a v6 @ 305 hp. Planning cold air intake and exhaust work to bump those up a little bit. But that's late summer at best.

Our laundry washer crapped out yesterday. Hit 6 stores before I found an open box for half price. But wife also found a floor model smart stove that ended up cheaper than what she was quoted to fix two of the broken burners on our existing stove. So there went a grand on appliances. But the original sticker price on the stove alone was $1800 so I'll count it as a win.

Smart appliances still have a ways to go. I can use Alexa to preheat, but there is no command to turn it off...

Challenger. Just a v6 @ 305 hp. Planning cold air intake and exhaust work to bump those up a little bit. But that's late summer at best.
    Ha! Love it! Would be the car I'd have if I was stateside, albeit the V8.

The colour is suitably outrageous too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Today I bought a pair of Wellies. Haven’t owned those since staying in Kent close to 35 years ago. But a week ago I took Bella, an eight months, old working cocker with me to Amsterdam. And walking with her ruining my shoes rapidly, so wellies werr the sensible way to go.

A little bit of advise; don’t fly with your dog if you can avoid it.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    South of Bergen I'd say Lisbon, but for less derisive recommendations PM kazuha
    I will do this! Thanks Minx.

At a bachelor party in sthlm. Just learned that Obama & Cardi B drank up all the Pepsi in the restaurant last night

THANKS OBAMA

Pepsi...

What is wrong with them? And you if you wanted Pepsi. Blech. Flat sugar water.

Hi everyone, by the way!
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Pepsi...

What is wrong with them? And you if you wanted Pepsi. Blech. Flat sugar water.

Hi everyone, by the way!
    Not me, I had my margarita those who were driving wanted coke, but were told they only had Pepsi Max, but then it turned out OBAMA (or possibly Cardi) drank it all.

I presume it was actually their entourage that was responsible for this heinous crime.

First day of a three month long leave, as well as our wedding anniversary. We had some rubbish weather earlier this week but today's been absolutely beautiful I have a weight loss competition going with my mates and I'm down 9kg after 10 weeks. Most of my favorite clothes fit again, and today I had to punch two new holes in my favorite belt. We've just had a lovely day doing enjoyable things, hanging out with good friends and eating great food, and I could definitely get used to this

9 kgs is a great achievement. How did you do it?
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    9 kgs is a great achievement. How did you do it?
    Thanks, I'm quite happy I can feel comfortable in my clothes again. I'm doing this by eating smaller portions in general, w/ drastically reduced frequency and size of meat portions, upped proportion of [non-starchy] veggies, greater discipline wrt desserts, baked stuff, chocolate etc, strict limit for alcohol allowance (2 drinks per week), minor increase in physical activity. Or, put more simply, substantial calorie deficit pretty much every day decided to stabilize now because I was honestly losing weight too rapidly (intended to only lose 500g/week) and I'm less than 2kg from my ideal weight anyway. The competition continues—I have to at least maintain this weight for another 8 weeks.

There's been a lot of criticism of studies on "nudge" interventions—esp. in the realm of dietary interventions—but I genuinely think our weekly weigh-ins have helped me stay on track. Motivation-wise it has been remarkably easy, because I have been making and eating more delicious food these past ten weeks than I have in any other ten week period previously. Strategy-wise, my aim has been to ensure that everything I eat is delicious and filling without being rich in calories. Favorite categories of meals have been savory porridges made from steel-cut oats* for breakfast, and a host of soups, but the ginger has been craving fresh salads so there's been a lot of that as well.

* flavored with stock and either small amounts of sausage or mushrooms: around 100 kcal per portion, obviously not for everyone but it's a type of meal that is deeply satisfying to me.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I for myself am following the "interval diet" - which basically means no calorie-rich food outside certain hours. Inside the window you should have a look at what you're eating but nothing strict, aside from the time limit.

It's not that I'm overweight or something but as you become older you have to watch your weight a bit more. This makes it easier and actually works for me.

Now I just have to get back to following my routine again - my youngest brother's marriage (with all the accompanying ceremonies) kind of made that impossible to follow.

Oh, and if any of you think of reducing sugar consumption - try Xylitol (a sugar alcohol). It's made from the bark of birches, has the same taste and sweetness level as table sugar but only 70% of the calories. It's also actually preventing caries (from what I read, the caries bacteria metabolize it wrong and poison themselves - similarly to how humans digest ethanol versus methanol) and can be used just like table sugar one for one - i.e. no filler needed like with Stevia or similar. I've baked cakes with it and neither me nor the other people eating those cakes have noticed anything different.

The only downsides: It may cause diarrhea if consumed in large doses (above 100 gram, so...), it has a very slight taste of mint when consumed pure (barely noticable though) and it's lethal for dogs. It's also a bit on the expensive side.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I have a weight loss competition going with my mates and I'm down 9kg after 10 weeks.
    Weight Loss Game Theory? I think that kind of peer pressure works for Weight Watchers and other groups that turn it into a competition. My sister lost a ton of weight in WW, but once she achieved the goal she lost interest and gained it all back. Then she signed up for a 3 year weight loss academic research study, lost the weight, and is now gaining it back....because the competition is over.

That kind of roller-coaster weight gain/loss isn't any 'healthier' than carrying around extra pounds, in fact it may be worse in the long run because it totally confuses the body's metabolism. And it makes them insufferable at social/family celebratory events that involve food.

oops, wrong thread?

Wow, talk about drawing far-reaching conclusions

Well, excuse me for sharing my personal experiences. My sister lost her sense of smell (and taste) several years ago, due to a virus, but she didn't lose her need to eat, or her tendency to over-eat. One is biological, the other behavioral.

But I'm happy you lost your weight.