Page 195 of 209 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,850 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Sony released a new color for their PS4 controllers

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Hehe
    Congratulations America

I'm so happy that I can spend Thanksgiving with both my sons! Even tho we live hundreds of miles away from one another, we've managed to coordinate days off work and travel time. No small feat. Also happy that we'll be celebrating at my youngest son's new home in the South. A two-fer!

No work until 7th Jan because of unusually many public holidays occurring on weekdays this year I always work at least one day-shift during the holidays (b/c it's really pleasant, medically usually very interesting, you get twice as much comp-time and then you come home just in time for dinner), but it looks like someone wanted to give me a very special Christmas present this year
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It's the wife's birthday today so I'm surprising her with dinner at a Disney restaurant, then I'm surprising everyone with annual passes and 3 days at a Disney hotel.

It took almost 6 months to budget away the money without notice, get our work, the house and the pets covered. But it's only a few hours away from all coming together.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Disney trip went way better than I was expecting. Even managed to wonder around the new Star Wars area with minimal crowds.

Click to view the full version

Also picked up a Razer Phone 2 for $260 from Amazon. its been out for a while, but its an impressive flagship model.

Today someone reminded me of something I haven't thought about since I was a kid - Monsterpiece Theatre, hosted by Alistair Cookie. I just watched a few of them and they are, without doubt, some of the funniest television that has ever been made. Old school Sesame Street is just pitch perfect.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

My son landed in Uganda earlier today. He's volunteering for a non-profit NGO whose mission is empowering girls/young women (with skills training and scholarships). I wasn't on board at first, and had the typical first world mother's response -- isn't there enough need in our own country, why do you want to go to Africa? Etc.

My son is putting his humanist (and feminist) convictions into action, wherever that leads. He has a big heart and that makes me happy.

That's great, you should be proud! Hope you won't miss him too much
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

My extremely limited reading skills in ivrit actually made it possible to find a song on Spotify. Thanks Ofrah.
    Congratulations America

The increasingly hard work I've been doing and stress I've been under at the bank over the last year or so has resulted in my receiving the highest performance rating the bank can give in my annual review.

Last week I received notice that this will be accompanied by a substantial one-off payment and a substantial payrise. In the review I was told by two of my managers that I will now need to be stepping up to another level and taking on more responsibility.

Given that I am generally a fuck-up who messed around in school, didn't study, got pretty crap grades, made it to uni but dropped out anyway without a degree, started my career from the bottom and worked my way up over the last 23 odd years, the above is making me very happy indeed.

I work with great people, I like the work that I do, and consider myself very lucky.

Now I just have to hope that Brexit plus Covid-19 fallout doesn't shrink the bank to an extent where I no longer have a job.

~

Oh, and my girlfriend of the last 10 years accepted my proposal and we will get married next year.

And we got a new puppy to go with the new kitty.

Good times.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-08-2020 at 08:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

That's absolutely fantastic news! Congrats on all fronts.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    The increasingly hard work I've been doing and stress I've been under at the bank over the last year or so has resulted in my receiving the highest performance rating the bank can give in my annual review.

Last week I received notice that this will be accompanied by a substantial one-off payment and a substantial payrise. In the review I was told by two of my managers that I will now need to be stepping up to another level and taking on more responsibility.

Given that I am generally a fuck-up who messed around in school, didn't study, got pretty crap grades, made it to uni but dropped out anyway without a degree, started my career from the bottom and worked my way up over the last 23 odd years, the above is making me very happy indeed.

I work with great people, I like the work that I do, and consider myself very lucky.

Now I just have to hope that Brexit plus Covid-19 fallout doesn't shrink the bank to an extent where I no longer have a job.

~

Oh, and my girlfriend of the last 10 years accepted my proposal and we will get married next year.

Good times.
    Congratulations. You know that the puppy didn't happen without pictures right ?
    Congratulations America

~

Good times.
    Huge congrats mate! Hope everything goes smoothly this coming year and may your butt be forever hairy

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar

~

Good times.
    Congratulations!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Congrats with everything, sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    That's absolutely fantastic news! Congrats on all fronts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Huge congrats mate! Hope everything goes smoothly this coming year and may your butt be forever hairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Congrats with everything, sounds great
    Thanks all
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Congratulations. You know that the puppy didn't happen without pictures right ?
    Thanks!

This is Hamish.

Border terrier - small Scottish hunting dogs. Bags of energy and bags of character.

Thanks!

This is Hamish.

Border terrier - small Scottish hunting dogs. Bags of energy and bags of character.

Adorable.
    Congratulations America

Thursday night, there was suddenly a piano in the office I share with a couple of colleagues. One of them is a decent pianist, and he spent a few hours in there playing Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Tchaikovsky and Peterson-Berger (Swedish composer) while I sorted out paper-work I'd been putting off for ages. The pressure on neuro has plummeted in the past couple of weeks - we typically see 10-15 patients per day in the ER, but we're down to 1-2 neuro patients, and maybe as many consults. ER visits are down by 30%. Calm before the storm, no doubt, but very welcome nevertheless. The sun is shining, the house is clean, and my mother is on her way, and this is what happened when we sat the baby down in her crib for the first time ever yesterday:

https://imgur.com/zGfEWuS

Thanks!

This is Hamish.

Last edited by Aimless; 03-21-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Just donated blood for the first time in a (too) long time.

The pink supermoon, the largest full moon of 2020!

It's named for the pink wildflower Phlox subulata, which blossoms in eastern North America in the early springtime, Space.com reported. If you're unfamiliar with its scientific name, perhaps you'll recognize it by the common names of wild ground phlox, the creeping phlox, moss phlox and the herb moss pink.
    *we still share the moon*
    Last edited by GGT; 04-08-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Got my stimulus deposit. Considering we haven't been spending anything on entertainment for the past month, and we are both still working, its nice to get. I'll bank a couple months of mortgage and use the rest to pay down existing debts.

Cash it ASAP. This is Trump we're talking about.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Mavic Mini and Davinci Resolve

Sunset to Moonlight Sonata
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

My new computer PSU works! I really HATE my computer being out of commission
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"