Page 196 of 209 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,880 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

My wife has been a little bummed out about our walls being pretty sparse for a while now, but we've just been putting off hanging up photos and paintings.

So tonight, while she and the baby have been sleeping peacefully, I have—with extraordinary stealth and cunning—put up a bunch of absolutely beautiful photos of them. Framing the largest one was a huge pain in the ass—and hanging it up without making any noise was an even greater challenge—but it turned out great and I'm extremely pleased right now ^_^
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I hope they don't have a phobia of seeing themselves on the wall.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I am very happy learning to play Battletech board game.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Protest/Rally sign:

Hello
    My name is Science
    You killed my funding
    Prepare to die

Despite being ran off by the train one minute early, I'm entirely on my way home to parents for first time since Christmas. A bit tight in terms of catching my flight, but reckon I should make it with some sprinting involved.

When I get home, first thing I'll do is fetch some much needed catch up sleep. Been working non-stop 6 days weeks assisting in nursing, and also retail for a while now. A few days off will be beautiful!
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

The AAN congress was cancelled because of the pandemic, which sucks, but I can still enjoy a pants-optional bring-your-own-wine virtual EAN congress starting this weekend, and last year's AAN is also accessible online. It's gonna be difficult to put this genie back in the bottle; I hate having to wear pants. Free registration for viewing and participating in the various sessions live, but members can also access all the content on-demand, which means you can ultimately cover much more of the congress than you would've been able to otherwise. Obviously not as fun as visiting for real—and you miss out on some very important benefits of physical meetings, such as being able to have quick discussions to exchange ideas & insights—but it's a much more effective use of time and money that dramatically increases my opportunities for learning during the year; I can attend one or two physical meetings, and then take time off to enjoy several more virtual ones at my leisure.

4 years and 4 months ago I took out a mortgage to buy an apartment. As of today my savings outstrip the remaining amount of the mortgage. I plan to pay for the outstanding debt to be paid off by the first of July and have the mortgage stricken from the land register.
    Congratulations America

Wow that's a good position to be in Hazir.

Am thinking of buying an investment apartment in another city to rent out. Housing market is stagnant and prices are fairly low atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

When I bought this appartment I decided to let the one I used to live in. I can tell you that the money can be good (it paid for most of the new appartment), but sometimes it also causes stress. Even though I planned it so that even without rent coming in I wouldn't have any trouble paying the bills.
    Congratulations America

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

They wave their little teddy arms in the air!!!!!
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

My eldest son will be visiting soon! He self-quarantined for 2 weeks (after attending a mass protest in Pittsburgh) to be on the safe side. I can't say how much that means to me. I've been having a really hard time coping with social distancing, but didn't want to admit that to my kids. Put on a brave face on Facetime and all that. He punched thru all that, and intuited how much I needed his real hugs and kisses, which makes his visit even more special and poignant.

For years, I've been trying to identify a song, from which I could only remember a single riff. Night after night, obsessively trawling the internet for clues, to no avail...

Tonight, I found it: Paloma Faith's wonderful cover of "Never Tear Us Apart":

It's the first day of my 5-7 mo long leave from work. We have another three weeks together before my wife goes back to work. The weather's amazing, and our daughter has just discovered that she loves pouncing on us in our sleep in order to rub noses inuit-style.

Sarah Cooper's sardonic wit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUTYsl9TTvA

haha Now every time I hear Trump's voice, I think of Sarah Cooper's lip-synching skits. Brilliant!
    Last edited by GGT; 07-22-2020 at 12:34 PM.

"When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Sarah Cooper's sardonic wit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUTYsl9TTvA

haha Now every time I hear Trump's voice, I think of Sarah Cooper's lip-synching skits. Brilliant!
    I'm just sad that this well is about to dry up

Meanwhile, I'm overjoyed that the baby took her first five unsupported steps the other day, and now actively communicates with consistent signs and gestures to clarify her vocalizations. So far, we've been able to confirm that she consistently recognizes at least 30 nouns and at least 5 adjectives. Sheep are surprisingly prominent in her ontology. Her approach to negotiation (typically for things we're eating that she's not supposed to have) has become much more strident—almost to the point of being aggressive—and her favourite afternoon snack is Swedish cherries, French goat-cheese and air-dried Galician beef loin. We appear to have inadvertently created an EU bureaucrat. Life... is pretty wonderful r n. I'm binging Bones again as a stopgap measure for dealing with Blacklist withdrawal.

I'm happy that you are happy! It's rather cute nice to see new parents think their first borne is the bestest, smartest, most cleverest baby ever. As they should.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-27-2020 at 06:54 AM.

She does everything slower than we did but faster than her peers do, which is all an immigrant father can want or expect from their progeny

All kidding aside, it's just incredible getting to see it all close-up in real-time, learning together I haven't had the opportunity to investigate tiny humans' capacity for specific communication in such detail. It's fun trying to understand what she understands, and even more fun seeing her delight at realizing when we understand something together. It has turned so much of what I thought I knew about babies on its head

Being a parent is infinitely better than any book learnin'. No offense to scholars without kids

It makes me happy hearing your delight, it reminds me how happy it was to learn along with my babies. Best time of my life.

PS enjoy it while it lasts. Before you know it she'll be a teenager....
    Last edited by GGT; 07-27-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Am Learning Boating of various sorts, for future boating endeavours.

Have now obtained my RYA Powerboat Level 2 certification, which means I can be issued an International Certificate of Competence. This allows me to charter powered boats, cruisers and launches when holidaying abroad.

Am halfway to obtaining the equivalent sailing certification, which takes longer and is more difficult to obtain, wind power being more challenging to master than motorised power . I have one weekend of learning on the water left to go in early September before I get that. And the following week we are off to Greece for a week's holiday, where I aim to get out on the Med sailing by myself, the thought of which definitely makes me happy.

Aim is to also charter a cruiser for a day or two with the ICC licence, and meander around the Greek Islands, mooring up in random places for a beer and a kalamari or two.

Longer term we are now toying with the idea of selling up and moving down to the coast after we get married later this year. With the new normal expected to mean more working from home for my partner, (I worked mainly from home before Covid anyway) will mean less days in our respective offices in London, making a move to the South coast workable.

And that will mean I will move to obtaining Day Skipper and possibly Yachtmaster qualifications, with the thought of eventually leasing a mooring and buying a boat to use on summer days, and weekends or even weeks away cruising.

Do we get to call you Captain?
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Nice! I sailed a little when I was a kid, kinda miss it. I have been looking to get friends with a boat though, so if you get one..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Nice! I sailed a little when I was a kid, kinda miss it. I have been looking to get friends with a boat though, so if you get one..
    That's the best kind of boat! (Your friends' boat, that is.)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Do we get to call you Captain?
    I insist

That Twitter hack that hit a bunch of big names the other day was apparently orchestrated by. 17 year old Tampa kid.

Home town never disappoints!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

https://abc7chicago.com/health/42-ye...id-19/6345700/

My sister visited this guy every day in the ICU; she was pretty sure he wasn't going to make it. He was in the hospital for 112 days. Sometimes, just sometimes, the world doesn't completely suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    4 years and 4 months ago I took out a mortgage to buy an apartment. As of today my savings outstrip the remaining amount of the mortgage. I plan to pay for the outstanding debt to be paid off by the first of July and have the mortgage stricken from the land register.
    I just paid the fee for the notary and the mortgage will be stricken from the land register in the next few days.
    Congratulations America

It turns out two of my best mates—as well as a former colleague whom I like and who lives nearby—will be on parental leave at some point during my leave. Another close friend will be in town for a 3 month rotation, bringing her baby and babydaddy along. Am incredibly happy about this, because I thought I wouldn't have anyone to hang out with during the days (due to the pandemic, I'll be steering clear of organized activities for large groups of children once those resume). Walking 3-4 hours a day while listening to podcasts—and, now, the Witcher novels—having family lunches by the river on my wife's lunch-break, and just living in the moment. Some of my views on a planned project have been borne out, and, though this means the project will be delayed, there's a greater likelihood of it being much better—and, most importantly, I won't have to fret about it while on parental leave. The baby walks more than she crawls, and I feel confident she'll be able to live off the land if the Norwegians invade:

https://imgur.com/a/sSxrwtX

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    She is adorable and skilled at picking berries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.