Page 201 of 209 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,030 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The books had lots of issues in terms of pacing. I wouldn't mind if the show made some changes (as long as those changes were consistent with the personalities of the characters). Just look at the Shadow and Bone show.

The fact this was renewed preemptively means it did really well with test audiences.
    I feel like they won't be able to replicate the channeling mechanics with any degree of success - that's going to be a real headache since it's so crucial to the plot.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Here's to hoping that the millions they probably spent on CGI will be worth it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I've been looking to date again, and with covid measures needing someone in a bar isn't happening soon. So I installed tinder, which is a hell hole in its own right, but after setting expectations correctly and learning what to look for, ended up matching with a girl who seems nice. After chatting for a while went for a walk today, and it was really nice! No idea if it will end up as dating or not, but it was fun to be on a date again, been a while.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I feel like they won't be able to replicate the channeling mechanics with any degree of success - that's going to be a real headache since it's so crucial to the plot.
    Maybe they should watch a bunch of anime for that.
    Congratulations America

My BMI is under 30 today. At the beginning of the year it was around 42.
    Congratulations America

I bought a new (used) car from a regional dealership. Glad I took the time to shop around, kick the tires, compare/contrast the test drives, even tho it was time-consuming and stressful---instead of going the virtual Carvana or Vroom route. Very happy with the car and the price I paid, especially since used cars prices have gone up about 20% during the pandemic!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Got the 2nd BioNtech jab yesterday. No side effects save for a slightly sore arm - but even that soreness is less than that after the 1st one.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

It was a gorgeous day today outside. I took my daughter to daycare to pick up my youngest; on our way back, we stopped at a park. There was a bona fide celebrity there playing music. I taught my daughter the macarena. As one does.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Hehe that's a cute story.
    Congratulations America

Just caught my daughter doing arithmetic with her macamoonies... "One... two... THEE macamoonies!" *adds one more* "NOW IT'S FO!" *eats them all up* "now it's zewo... there there..."

Lmao and crying at the same time
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I have a serious plan of driving from Amsterdam to Istanbul next week. 2.700km, 7 countries, 5 systems of paying for tolls. But I am really looking forward to it. It's not the first time I go to Istanbul over land, but it's been over 20 years ago that I did that for the last time.
    Congratulations America

Next month, not next week.
    Congratulations America

Went out tonight for my birthday, went to the Trafford Centre (large Manchester shopping centre) for the first time since Christmas 2019. Had a good time.

Was funny seeing the centre so quiet. The Trafford Centre is never normally quiet but it still was at the moment and a lot of closed stores boarded up which never normally happens either ... But was good to go to the Disney Store and others. Girls lit up, they haven't been shopping besides groceries much since the pandemic began. Emily absolutely loves Toy Story and there was a giant Woody by the entrance she could pose with for a photo.

Met my parents and youngest brother, first restaurant we wanted to go to wouldn't seat us as there's 7 in our group, which isn't the rule (it's rule of 6 or two households) so we tried another restaurant instead and had a great meal there. Got great food and service and all agreed we'd go there again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I played my first tabletop RPG game. Mechwarrior Destiny. Looks cool, especially if you combine with the Battletech tabletop game where you pilot mechs.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

HbA1c of 30 (down from 100). My GP never had seen results like it in such a short time time (5 months).
    Congratulations America

Another social media post shows a piece measuring up to 6.57 inches in diameter also fell on April 28. Unfortunately, researchers say they were unable to verify its size before it was blended into a batch of margaritas.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/we...o-16274820.php

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

A plan to get someone's life on a more secure footing seems to work out. It's taking quite a bit of money, but it's worth it.
    Congratulations America

From the 1st of July it's no longer allowed in The Netherlands to cold call people for sales. Sales calls will be illegal unless the (potential) customer has given prior consent. Also, the continuation of consent has to be established at the beginning of every single call made under the given consent. The burden of proof lies with the caller.
    Congratulations America

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2107454

Guys. This is the fucking future. Screw jetpacks, this is awesome. If you had asked me ten years ago if we'd see in vivo gene editing in humans anytime soon, I would have laughed in your face. There are all sorts of caveats and reasons to be cautious, but damn if it isn't exciting. With the new cell- and gene- and molecule-level tools we're getting, the sky's the limit.

Also a reason to support basic research, because this would never have happened if you only had engineers like me applying existing knowledge to solve problems.

Wow
    Congratulations America

I posted something on reddit and for the first time ever I got more than two thousand upvotes. Tbh, it's like my second post (other than a reaction to others)
    Last edited by Hazir; 07-07-2021 at 11:03 PM.
    Congratulations America

Telling people to head over here?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Telling people to head over here?
    I’m not that influential yet. 4k upvotes though.
    Congratulations America

Nice. I got 90 on a comment, once

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2107454

Guys. This is the fucking future. Screw jetpacks, this is awesome. If you had asked me ten years ago if we'd see in vivo gene editing in humans anytime soon, I would have laughed in your face. There are all sorts of caveats and reasons to be cautious, but damn if it isn't exciting. With the new cell- and gene- and molecule-level tools we're getting, the sky's the limit.

Also a reason to support basic research, because this would never have happened if you only had engineers like me applying existing knowledge to solve problems.
    Isn't this the same CRISPR technology used by a Chinese scientist to edit-out HIV in embryos? *Lula and Nana were genetically manipulated twins born in 2018* And wasn't that roundly criticized by medical ethicists?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Isn't this the same CRISPR technology used by a Chinese scientist to edit-out HIV in embryos? *Lula and Nana were genetically manipulated twins born in 2018* And wasn't that roundly criticized by medical ethicists?
    It uses the same basic tools, yes. But the Chinese case was (1) done with germ line editing (a very big ethical minefield), (2) doesn't appear to have been done with any degree of care or rigor. The case I cited was somatic cell editing in the context of a tightly controlled clinical trial setting... and it worked (at least early indications make it look like it did).

CRISPR is an extremely powerful tool, and it can be used for very good ends or questionable (or even dangerous) ones.

Sooo, the technology is awesome, but there are still ethical questions about its use, and how it's going to be "regulated" in the future, and by whom. Just checking.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Sooo, the technology is awesome, but there are still ethical questions about its use, and how it's going to be "regulated" in the future, and by whom. Just checking.
    There are ethical questions about the use of gene editing for germ line modification. There have not been serious ethical questions about somatic cell modifications to treat disease. This is been something they've been trying to do for decades with various techniques (retroviruses, endonucleases, etc.) but the tools have been dangerous and poorly targeted, resulting in many failures. The precision and relative ease of use of CRISPR techniques means that it's actually feasible. That's why it's a big deal.

The regulatory framework for gene editing of perforce still embryonic just because there isn't adequate data on how to handle it; pretty much par for the course for any new biotechnology. It's very clear who does the regulating, though, it's the FDA or similar bodies elsewhere. I'm not sure what your point is?