Page 203 of 209 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,090 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

I expect to pay ~15k to add insulation and fix the bathroom, but included that in the mortgage. They estimate that doing that will already increase the house's value by 11k, so pretty good deal. Unfortunately there is a chance the ground floor might need to be replaced to be able to insulate it, let's hope not (it's a wooden floor without crawlspace). Let's hope there's enough room underneath, though if it needs to be replaced I can get floor heating I suppose which is nice.

What I do find ridiculous is that this is on the low end of housing - it's old, not so big (though does have a garden), lacks maintenance, and the neighbourhood's not that great (though near the centre and it's still the Netherlands so it's not so bad). I have a decent income, above the median, no kids to support and no debt, yet still I can only afford this place using a special arrangement which gives a 20% discount (ánd the price is based on the taxation only, so no need to bid over that price to get it). The housing market is messed up.

Not to mention I'll be paying as much as I do for my small apartment now, which I got when I was making 1500 less per month. Apparently paying a high rent is fine, but with the same income you can't get a mortgage..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Congratulations, Flixy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    So what's going to crap out first? The water heater, ac, or roof?
    It's always the hot water heater. Usually at the most inconvenient time possible.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Tip: if the hot water heater breaks down, rent the new one. It's hardly more expensive than buying plus servicing and once we get this transition you can easily get rid of it.

Ours broke down within a couple of months.
    Congratulations America

Um what? What the hell kind of water heaters y'all got over there?

Ours are pretty much set it and forget (unless you got crazy hard water) and they usually go at least a decade before breaking down
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

On average people have combination heaters for both hot water and heating with radiators running on natural gas. It’s pretty standard to have them serviced/checked once a year. To have them serviced/checked biannually is mandatory.
    Congratulations America

Guys, please. Electric tankless water heaters are definitely the way to go here.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    On average people have combination heaters for both hot water and heating with radiators running on natural gas. It’s pretty standard to have them serviced/checked once a year. To have them serviced/checked biannually is mandatory.
    Yep, got one of those. And it's an oldy, so probably the first to give out indeed.

Thanks for the renting tip, didn't think of that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Guys, please. Electric tankless water heaters are definitely the way to go here.
    If you have the electric system to be able to install one of them of course. We have one (in the apartment we rent out nowadays) , but could only because electric was being overhauled for a new kitchen.
    Congratulations America

Learnt peas are probiotic. I love peas.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

The WOT trailer made me happy.

This morning, there was a largish utility work crew working on replacing some natural gas lines under the street. I spent a solid hour with my three year old watching them work; he was absolutely fascinated. To top it all off, one of the older guys on the crew came by to give my son a set of safety goggles and work gloves. He was ecstatic.

Only problem is I can't find a way to tell the utility that their work crew were real gentlemen; they only have options for complaints and paying bills.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Finally secured our dream house!

https://www.lennar.com/new-homes/flo...states/trenton

6/3
    3300+ sq/ft including a 400 sq/ft loft or gameroom
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

How many kidneys were required for the down payment?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Doing 20% down conventional, all of which we plan to take from the sale of our current house that we will be listing this weekend.

Doing 20% down conventional, all of which we plan to take from the sale of our current house that we will be listing this weekend.
    Nice house, the only thing that comes accross as a bit strange is that there's only 1 bath upstairs and that both downstairs bedrooms have an ensuite.
    Congratulations America

It is a bit strange, I guess thats why it's been so hard to find this floorplan (each community of hundreds only build a dozen or so of this one).

But for us it's perfect. Mom is downstairs with her own bath and flexspace which will be her living room (so she stops hogging ours) and we get a master with a bath. Kids are all upstairs with a double bath and have to take some responsibility for keeping it in order.

Only issue is going to be down the road, if mom dies before my oldest moves out it could be a fight for who gets their own bath downstairs.

Congrats, OG! And wow that place is big.

It is a bit strange, I guess thats why it's been so hard to find this floorplan (each community of hundreds only build a dozen or so of this one).

But for us it's perfect. Mom is downstairs with her own bath and flexspace which will be her living room (so she stops hogging ours) and we get a master with a bath. Kids are all upstairs with a double bath and have to take some responsibility for keeping it in order.

Only issue is going to be down the road, if mom dies before my oldest moves out it could be a fight for who gets their own bath downstairs.
    You gonna put up a wall to close off the flex area? Sorry to be prying but it's something that got stuck in my mind
    Congratulations America

We're thinking something like barn doors that hang from a upper track.

Something like this, maybe with 3 layers depending on size.
    https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...000981384.html

Congrats on finding your dream home, OG. I hope you'll have many happy family memories living there!

I got my Battletech kickstarter pledge delivered. Think of a tabletop game about giant robot combat. Mechwarrior belongs to Battletech franchise. Having lots of fun with it.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

$382,000 looks to be the best offer. That's 20% down and both cars paid off. Which will make the new monthly house payment that much easier to swallow.

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Patient fist-bumped me today; every time that happens, I remember I'm basically in the Good Place. He has an incurable, devastating disease, but we found meaningful things we could work on. I usually hate this time of year, but we've recently implemented a new staffing setup I've been pushing for for a few years, and it has already improved my quality of life—and the quality of our services & training—immensely. I suddenly have time for often-neglected but important and enjoyable aspects of the job; I have time and energy for my research, for my coding projects, for people, for cooking and baking; I can spend more time at home with my family, discovering the world all over again with my daughter as my fearless—and peerless—guide. My god she's incredible. My mother's feeling better than she has in years, my sis doesn't have to go back to DC until next year, my friends are back. It's just a good time to be alive. A good place.

We have a new intern doing a brief rotation at my clinic, and he told me that, when he passed through a few years ago, as a deeply unhappy med-student, I'd conveyed something similar during our conversations—and that he chose to finish his studies and stay in this town because of what I'd said, because it showed him there was a path to happiness here. I'm a big believer in conscious happiness; I don't know that I've ever received more meaningful and genuinely affirming feedback.

We'll see how long it lasts
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I got tickets for the red hot chili peppers

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Congrats! Also see The Good Place for more info
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Loving this crypto rally, I was always skeptical of 100k BTC by EOY but it may be in the cards!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    NICE!!!!!!

$382,000 looks to be the best offer. That's 20% down and both cars paid off. Which will make the new monthly house payment that much easier to swallow.
    After a million headaches and things going wrong we are moved and we did make enough off our sale to pay off both cars and put 20% down.

I hadn't actually seen the house before moving into it yesterday. Its amazing.

After a million headaches and things going wrong we are moved and we did make enough off our sale to pay off both cars and put 20% down.

I hadn't actually seen the house before moving into it yesterday. Its amazing.
    Congrats!

Buying a house without seeing it seems risky, glad it's amazing.