Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205
Results 6,121 to 6,127 of 6127

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Are there rednecks over there? Bribe a couple with a few cases of beer and park their rust buckets up and down the street.

Good luck with the nightmare of owning a home that old. I got fed up with our last one and it was only 30 years old.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-18-2022 at 11:22 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Gonna check out a house tomorrow... it's 10-15 mins' walk to the hospital, to my wife's office, and to town, and maybe 2 mins to our daughter's daycare. Big-ass house with a big-ass lawn with nice old trees. But it was built almost a hundred years ago and I think there'll be dozens of doctors bidding on it. So it's all a little nerve-wracking but also exciting—these houses are almost never on the market, so this is a huge opportunity.
    Be ready to make an offer on the spot.

Here in Amsterdam you get no time to consider, second looksies or technical reporting. And you also have 10% over asking available. If you need a mortgage you better make sure it's pre-approved.

I remember the good old times five years ago when you actually had time to walk back to the metro before putting in a bid the tiniest bit under asking. Nowadays that all would mean that you're not in the market for real.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post

Here in Amsterdam you get no time to consider, second looksies or technical reporting. And you also have 10% over asking available. If you need a mortgage you better make sure it's pre-approved.

I remember the good old times five years ago when you actually had time to walk back to the metro before putting in a bid the tiniest bit under asking. Nowadays that all would mean that you're not in the market for real.
    I am so glad I could buy mine from the social housing agency using a special scheme - price was just based on an appraisal, I had one day to decide and up to a week before signing, and did not need to outbid anyone. Downside was that it was literally a lottery, and if I sell I have to offer it to them first. But at least I didn't have to stress about bidding in a rush.

Plus the house was already inspected and I got the full reports before the viewing.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Damn those realtors and their clever plans. What about standing in front of the house all day long, coughing at anyone who tries to get inside?
    I'd have to get close to them

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Borrow an obnoxious dog and walk it back and forth all day like you're a rude and loud neighbor.
    They're all dog people, it's insane

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Are there rednecks over there? Bribe a couple with a few cases of beer and park their rust buckets up and down the street.

Good luck with the nightmare of owning a home that old. I got fed up with our last own and it was only 30 years old.
    Funny thing is, old houses in town tend to be exceptionally well-maintained... partly because of Swedish culture and widespread knowledge, and partly because the owners are generally well off. Guessing the roof will have to be replaced in the near future though, and we could probably make some minor changes to improve energy efficiency.

Yeah... I live in a smallish town, but it's like that here as well. Bit frustrating but the sellers have been very clear they're not accepting any offers until all prospective buyers have seen the house this week... we can go 20-25% over asking tbh but there's no way to tell what others are prepared to pay atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I am so glad I could buy mine from the social housing agency using a special scheme - price was just based on an appraisal, I had one day to decide and up to a week before signing, and did not need to outbid anyone. Downside was that it was literally a lottery, and if I sell I have to offer it to them first. But at least I didn't have to stress about bidding in a rush.

Plus the house was already inspected and I got the full reports before the viewing.
    Much more pleasant way to do it fucked up housing markets are the number one social and political problem in pretty much all western countries. People are sitting around hoping for old people to die.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I'd have to get close to them

They're all dog people, it's insane

Funny thing is, old houses in town tend to be exceptionally well-maintained... partly because of Swedish culture and widespread knowledge, and partly because the owners are generally well off. Guessing the roof will have to be replaced in the near future though, and we could probably make some minor changes to improve energy efficiency.

Yeah... I live in a smallish town, but it's like that here as well. Bit frustrating but the sellers have been very clear they're not accepting any offers until all prospective buyers have seen the house this week... we can go 20-25% over asking tbh but there's no way to tell what others are prepared to pay atm.

Much more pleasant way to do it fucked up housing markets are the number one social and political problem in pretty much all western countries. People are sitting around hoping for old people to die.
    Good luck by the way. I'd love to have one of those old houses. Thank God I got over my burn out 20 years ago. Otherwise I'd be living in a decaying French Chateau with a million dogs.
    Congratulations America

Have seen the house now They won't take any bids from anyone until monday or tuesday, which is good. Bottom floor and upper floor are wonderful massive yard with an old garden. Light and airy rooms with high ceilings and a nice indoor climate. Facade is in relatively urgent need of renovation, we'd probably want to change the roof + improve insulation soon, and we'll want to add a toilet to the bottom floor, but all would seem to be within budget, and would probably let us put off switching to ground source heating for a long time. The basement is gonna need a lot of work, but not urgently. Anyone who stays on for the bidding rounds are likely to be rich or good at renovating homes, which we aren't, so we've tempered our hopes accordingly... and if this doesn't work out, we have a solid plan B to pursue (sowing discord in wealthy families in a 1km radius).

Good luck by the way. I'd love to have one of those old houses. Thank God I got over my burn out 20 years ago. Otherwise I'd be living in a decaying French Chateau with a million dogs.
    Thanks, and you still have time to steal enough from the public to become an English lord
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Good luck!
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.