Page 208 of 209 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209 LastLast
Results 6,211 to 6,240 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

I appreciate her ingenuity and care for the poor mosquitoes, but would mosquitoes be interested in blood candy? They find our veins by sensing heat, don't they? So the blood candies would have to be kept relatively warm for them to work.

And on a larger scale, you want to kill them since they're the mothers who suck the blood and they make the babies which just means more mosquitoes. Maybe you could get a bee colony? Bees are friendly and good creatures and your daughter would probably think they're sort of cute.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I appreciate her ingenuity and care for the poor mosquitoes, but would mosquitoes be interested in blood candy? They find our veins by sensing heat, don't they? So the blood candies would have to be kept relatively warm for them to work.

And on a larger scale, you want to kill them since they're the mothers who suck the blood and they make the babies which just means more mosquitoes. Maybe you could get a bee colony? Bees are friendly and good creatures and your daughter would probably think they're sort of cute.
    I think she's just trying to reconcile her dislike of being bitten and her desire to help all creatures big and small she believes in a peace-first approach
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The humanitarian super-power to the core, huh.

I don't think we can make peace with parasites, except with the larval goa'uld in Teal'c, and even that gets resolved later on. Mosquitoes are enemies with us despite our potential peaceful intentions, and that has to be considered.

But it might make for a good school paper, how would we peacefully co-exist with a blood sucking parasitical species? I encourage her experimental nature, that is the hall-mark of a good scientist.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Well, last year I discovered that, in my daughter's ontology, every foul creature that afflicts us has a KNIGHT-PROTECTOR COUNTERPART that is much more powerful—and sworn to defend the bodies of the righteous. It turns out these knight protectors are just the virtuous states of the same nefarious entities they defend against—that harmful creatures can be persuaded to defect and join the side of justice, through kindness and games. It's all very fascinating, she's much more open-minded than I am.

Never let her read my signature, I guess

But at least it's going to be a summer soon, with plenty of bugs of all varieties!

I've been on sick leave for a while with what appeared to be my second burn out. About 6 weeks ago I had a consultation with a physician who told me that, while he wasn't supposed to diagnose anything, if he were me he'd talk with my GP and discuss some specific bloodwork and a sleep test. Long story short: two days ago I received a cpap ventilator and even before I have fully gotten used to it, I already started feeling better.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I've been on sick leave for a while with what appeared to be my second burn out. About 6 weeks ago I had a consultation with a physician who told me that, while he wasn't supposed to diagnose anything, if he were me he'd talk with my GP and discuss some specific bloodwork and a sleep test. Long story short: two days ago I received a cpap ventilator and even before I have fully gotten used to it, I already started feeling better.
    I'm almost afraid to tell you how many patients I've seen at my clinic with more or less the same story. Easiest way to get to heaven as a doctor is to find and treat people with sleep apnea. I'm glad you got that sorted

I am having a blast playing I-War, EOC and an old Win95 game called The Hive.
    With I-War I am still having problems beating WEP Advanced mission, but what matters is the fun, not winning.
    With Defiance, Nacy is killing my cargo ships. Still it is a lot of fun.
    With EOC I am having a good time attending distress signals.
    And The Hive as the old school space shooter it is is just awesome.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I'm almost afraid to tell you how many patients I've seen at my clinic with more or less the same story. Easiest way to get to heaven as a doctor is to find and treat people with sleep apnea. I'm glad you got that sorted
    Yeah, interesting that. Results are very mixed still, but some symptoms flat out disappeared (function loss in my arms in the morning). Appearantly oxygen makes things better.
    Congratulations America

Jerry Springer died!

That makes you happy? I'm a bit confused.
    Congratulations America

That's no way to go trough life, son

Possibly, but I wouldn't know why the passing away of a retired ringmaster should move anyone's emotions any way.
    Congratulations America

Sure, we're all living in a world post-escalator and nothing is real anymore. I mean I am the resident nihilist, right? Who cares that someone who paved the way for a carneval barker to become POTUS is dead? No one!

On the one hand he regularly exploited transgender people for barbaric entertainment, but, on the other hand, he also let people beat up white supremacists on national television

As a southern straight white male millennial Jerry Springer just hit different. For a whole generation of kids staying home sick from school, he was perhaps the first or only window to various aspects of how others lived/loved. I honestly believe he contributed to the empathy and acceptance that millennials developed compared to their more bigoted parents.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Really? I never saw more than snippets outside of the house (my parents maintained that our television didn't get non PBS channels except for network news) but all of the kids I knew who did watch it enjoyed the barbarity of the setup and made fun of the guests. There was very little empathy on display.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

The show was a total shit show, and "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" remains a rallying cry for violence. But it numbed us as kids, prepared us for this stuff in the real world and as we grew and experienced some of the same crazy shit we (I believe) grew to be more understanding of others and their choices. What the GOP pushes as a culture war we see as reruns from Springer.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I remember that show as both a complete shit show and a peek behind a curtain where were people I'd never even heard about before.

I see zero connection between Trump becoming President and Springer's show. What got Trump the White House was liberal teenagers with a hobby. Kind of how a new batch of teenagers with a hobby made transsexuals lose access to needed care and recognition.
    Congratulations America

I've just been offered a position at my dept. that's the Swedish equivalent of a residency program director... Swedish teaching hospitals have a fairly flat and informal hierarchy at that level, so it's more of a lateral movement than a vertical one—but it's a nice vote of confidence, and I was already thinking about applying for the position somewhere along the line so I'm quite chuffed. Very big shoes to fill—our current director is wonderful, and respected by everyone in the northern region. Fortunately, there's a lot of low-hanging fruit, so we have a decent shot at making the program even more enjoyable for the current batch of residents. Most ppl stay in this position for around 2-3 years, which should leave me some time to focus on the most demanding stage of my PhD.

Congratulations. Sounds like a real challenge.
    Congratulations America

Congrats.

This is gonna sound strange, but I am happy the presidential elections in Turkey weren't won by a rabid racist.
    Congratulations America

overheard a fascinating conversation between my 3yo daughter and... HER BRAIN. She was telling her brain they needed to go to bed and her brain said it had just remembered a ton of things it needed to show. She said it could show us tomorrow, and it said WHAT IF THERE'S NO TOMORROW AND WE ALL DIE.

“Relax, silly! There aren't any volcanoes or squid-monsters nearby!”

That seems to have settled the debate, but, now I find myself alarmed by the oddly specific reassurance.

It's been an uncommonly lovely day.

There were, indeed, squid monsters nearby.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Survived another hurricane, and this time without having to staff an evacuation shelter.

Leona is a heavy bleeder. So when she's in heat she wears nappies inside. Until yesterday pricey ones specially for dogs. Those ran out yesterday and new ones were still in the mail. Looking for an alternative I came up with the genius idea of buying regular nappies and cut a tail-hole in them. Turns out they are more practical at 1/3 of the price. Al it took was in incentive to think about it.
    Congratulations America

One of my friends thinks he's traveling to the frozen north for his bachelor party tomorrow but in reality we'll be dragging him down to Amsterdam, which is much worse but also funnier probably the last one of our rapidly aging group

That is a lot of snow
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.