Page 79 of 209 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Congrats Ziggy.

Congrats Lor.

In Edinburgh. First ever visit to Scotland, Amanda organised it for Valentine's. Got an apartment for two nights on the Royal Mile, outside our window is Saint Giles Cathedral, a heart-shaped paving stone cobbles for where William Wallace (Braveheart) is supposedly buried and a statue. Only a few hundred meters away is Edinburgh castle. About to go on a Ghost and Ghouls tour of Auld Reekie (Edinburgh).

Heh, timing is apt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Congrats Ziggy.
    Missed your one-liner post.

Right back atcha!
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Doubling my shop space.

Room to grow!

Pretty big of him

Could've tried practicing a bit with the shoes
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Nice legs.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Apple is once again the first to fall at this year pwn2own
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

New iPhone/iPad OS update now allows using the iPhone as a WiFi HotSpot!

I am soooooooo happy!

Now my hubby will be wanting an iPad even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Equals clip
    James Bond duo of Daniel Craig and Dame Judi Dench.

However; "women are responsible for two-thirds of the work done worldwide"

I call horseshit on that one.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Women Move The World.....so says the manufacturer (well, their marketing company) of a calcium supplement aimed at women. Caused a flash-back of Helen Redding singing I am woman hear me roar.....and a cheap perfume whose ditty went like this:

I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget you're a man.....cuz I'm a woooooman. Enjoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

I saw another ad that said that today, but they didn't exactly cite sources. It's not unreasonable when we consider the entire globe, and not just the industrialized West.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Could they maybe be including child-rearing and housework?
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I saw another ad that said that today, but they didn't exactly cite sources. It's not unreasonable when we consider the entire globe, and not just the industrialized West.
    I was thinking of the entire globe.

In more traditional countries, the man goes out to work, the woman stays at home and keeps hut. (blatantly sweeping generalisation I know. Blah.)

So ...

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    Could they maybe be including child-rearing and housework?
    Might have to be the answer ...

Which is really quite disingenuously misleading.

In more traditional countries, the man goes out to work, the woman stays at home and keeps hut. (blatantly sweeping generalisation I know. Blah.)
    Generalizations, and sexism, are bad!

So ...

What? You don't think those things are work?
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

So ...

In a "traditional country" men knock up the women and then "go out to work"? Really?

Sister gave me $800 tonight

See, her and her boyfriend are on my phone plan, their two phones cost me $110 a month. She is supposed to be pay me every month, but she is a deadbeat. So this $800 is about half of her running bill, and an unexpected but welcomed surprise
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Unexpected money is always good!

This should probably go in the messed up groove thread, but how can a librarian use sub-standard grammar like that?

Party tomorrow, and I hear there will be a LOT of champagne! Dresscode is supermegaglamorous... What to wear, what to wear..

Flixy, just wear your hair and smile. Strap on your guitar and enter after the champagne has begun to flow, if you have any doubts about what to wear.

No!

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    No!
    lol Very funny!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

If raising a kid or house chores is work, then so is mending the fence. Or opening jars. Although that may be compensated by loosening the lid.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    In a "traditional country" men knock up the women and then "go out to work"? Really?
    Weeeelllll. Sweeping generalisations are sweeping generalisations.

But having grown up in various countries, of various levels of third and first worldness, anecdotally I found women to always always be at home and men to always always be out at work.

That's the traditional model, ness pah ?

In the context of the quote given by Judi Dench in Nessie's yootoob clip, no.

Outside of that context, perhaps. I'd need to give more thought to the definition of work.

Ya, I'd like to invite you guys to take care of my kid 24/7 while trying to cook dinner and do laundry, oh ya and grocery shop. Then get back to me. One day and you'll be screaming to go back to work!

edit: Though I do concede, the yard and other repair work is left to the hubby, so yes, he has a lot of hard work himself.

While realizing my upbringing was quite a bit different than most people had, I have to say that work is work. Mom worked out in the fields with Dad. They both did the housework. As I got older and didn't want to get up as early as ranch life dictates, I shouldered most of the housework instead of having to be out amongst the insects and such in the summer, and out in the cold in the winter.

If it isn't considered work, then why the hell is it called housework? Remember the movie, "Mr. Mom"? He was completely overwhelmed the first few days/weeks! As Cat said, give it a try sometime! It's more fun than you can imagine trying to do all the things needed to keep a home going with a small child attached to your hip. And if you think that part might be easy, just wait until the kid(s) hit toddlerhood! "I'll do it myself!" "I want to walk." I can pour my own milk!" Try shopping for food, cooking that food, doing the laundry and all the other chores that comprise housework with a whiny toddler to contend with. It's no wonder dinner is late, your favorite shirt isn't clean, and your wife just threw out your damned golf clubs!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

So ...
    I admit that I have mostly been exposed to biased literature, but from what I've read this is patently false for a lot of people. Many young women are sold at an age between 8 and 12 into sexual slavery, so you'd have a stable of young women working for one pimp, whose work-load I'd seriously question. And in farming communities "keeping hut" isn't less labour intensive than picking fruit from trees or whatever hell the manly men are out doing when they're not getting drunk on the hut's life savings.

For reference, slave trade today sells, in absolute numbers, more slaves than ever at the hey-day of negro slavery. And the demand is mostly for females. Of course slave labour is a tiny percentage of all work done, so this alone can't come anywhere near to explaining that 66 %. I'd wager "keeping hut" has a lot to do with it.

Keeping hut.

Tim, there's plenty of role-shifting in economically advanced countries. Was it Finland or Holland that has growing numbers of part-time professionals, so fathers can share in being home with baby, and Daddy Days Off?

What are part-time professionals? Finland has father's leave.

Part-time lawyers, accountants, physicians....I think it was an article in NYT about the Dutch.