Page 87 of 209 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Ya, I didn't use the canning method for mine either, just added enough pectin and sugar to make one jar. I might make more and freeze it too.

This summer I'm learning to make proper pickles
    Yummies, lovin' the sound...erm sight(?) of that. Are you doing sweet pickles (yuck) or dills? Kosher maybe? OH yeah, they get better with time ya know.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I've never really canned things before, when I've done things it was just immediately usable portions - and if I have extra fruits I freeze 'em instead. This summer I'm learning to make proper pickles, though, and I think I'll try making jelly.

I just have to find a ginormous pot.

Also, I planted tomatoes, cucumbers, and watermelon (that probably won't grow) over the weekend. Bit late for it, but maybe not so late that I won't get my yummies.
    This made me happy and sad at the same time! Mommymunchkin used to make sweet gerkins, bread and butter, and 14 day sweet pickles, and a couple of different kinds of dill (yucky) pickles. She also made horseradish! We also canned peaches and pears, and Dad made 3 or 4 different kinds of jelly! I always loved the way our house smelled in August! I miss that smell, and the taste of a fresh pickle!

We used a pressure cooker. Actually we used 3 of them since we canned so much stuff. A pressure cooker is reasonably priced, come in different sizes, and make canning a lot easier! You just have to remember not to open the damned thing before the pressure is released.

I can't have a garden here, other than my tiny herb garden, but I have a friend who plants a huge garden, and she lets me come play in the dirt any time I want to!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

My bike's repairs got done just in time for Bike to Work Day 2011.
    Your search had no results.

Again, chemistry.

I managed to improve a certain synthesis method. It requires sodium ethoxide, which can be produced by a fairly unpleasant method. First of all, it involves obtaining tiny beads of sodium. The easiest way is to melt the sodium by heating it in toluene, then shake the flask to make the molten sodium mass break up in tiny drops, and keep shaking it till they solidify. The problem here is, violent shaking of large amount of hot solvent (slightly above the boiling point of water at this point) and multigram quantities of a metal that is terribly reactive even when solid is not particularly high on my list of things I'd like to do on any given day.
    The next problem - the beads usually aren't tiny enough for the reaction with ethanol (done in solution/suspension in ether) to proceed to completition. Some unreacted sodium remains, and I end up with less ethoxide than I need. Obviously, this is a bad thing. Also, this takes a lot of time. Usually, the actual synthesis has to be put off till following day.

The rest of the synthesis is simple enough - ether solutions of reagents are added carefully to the ethoxide suspension, then the mixture is boiled under reflux for 24 hours. The rest of it is not particularly interesting (assuming the aforementioned part was).

I decided to skip the sodium ethoxide part. Instead, I used potassium tert-butoxide, which is a somewhat stronger base, and unlike the sodium ethoxide used previously, is one of the reagents we have in stock. Also, instead of diethyl ether used as solvent previously, I used MTBE, which is a similar solvent with a higher boiling point.
    Thanks to this, the reaction was complete after 7 hours instead of 24, and the yield was better than ever before.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Finished reading Ender's Game yesterday and I loved it Made me feel like a kid, the book was great! I liked the twist towards the end.

This is the newest addition to the Munchkin household! Her name is Pinto, and she is a sweetheart!

Sorry for the rotten quality, but my cell sucks for taking pics!

Anyway, about Pinto! She is a month old (This is Mama Cat's first litter of kittens and she has run out of milk to feed them. She had four, but I only can have one, so picked her!) Calico sweetie! When I went to look at the kittens, she caught my eye first! She is such a cuddly baby, with gray eyes, Calico patches on her back, a gray tail and ears, and a white underbelly! She has long hair () that is so soft and silky. I am having quite a time with her right now. She is sooo young, and is missing Mama Cat and her brothers. Oh well, she will soon learn how to be spoiled! My 3rd ex was over this afternoon and saw her. He immediately said she looked like a Pinto, so that's what she is! He also sneaked off and bought her a bag of Kitten Chow, and a package of Kitten Treats! Oh no! He doesn't spoil pets either!

If you can't tell...I am sooo excited to have a kitten again! I have been waiting, patiently, since the first part of March...when I was first approved for a "companion pet" in my apartment...for exactly the right kitten for me! I found her!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

She looks quite sweet. And possibly fluffy.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    She looks quite sweet. And possibly fluffy.
    She is both! I finally got her to sleep in a box, with a towel and a stuffed duck! She slept on my leg for quite a while, but then woke up and seemed to be trying to find Mama Cat, crying pitifully! So I stuck her, and her bed, and her stuffed duckie, in a larger box that she can't jump out of! She appears to be pretty content right now!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

My sugar mama brought home some gooood sushi
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Queen of the Oliphaunts Elanya Rodillia's Avatar
    Right at this moment what's making me happy is a nice day off of work to spend lazing around (and feeling nostalgic, hence the post), and my two dogs sleeping on/next to me on the couch.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    She is both! I finally got her to sleep in a box, with a towel and a stuffed duck! She slept on my leg for quite a while, but then woke up and seemed to be trying to find Mama Cat, crying pitifully! So I stuck her, and her bed, and her stuffed duckie, in a larger box that she can't jump out of! She appears to be pretty content right now!
    1 month is a bit young to separate cats from their mother, though. 10 to 12 weeks is better.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    1 month is a bit young to separate cats from their mother, though. 10 to 12 weeks is better.
    I agree but Mama Cat ran out of milk and can't feed all 4 of her kittens. Plus, the lady that has them is pretty seriously crippled up from a horse accident, so she can't feed them by hand.

On the good side, this lets Pinto know me better, and know her home from an earlier age. She is very lively and curious and isn't the least bit timid! I love watching her explore.
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Aww, cute kitteh. I approve!

I've got a black one in mind with a name already designated - Giuseppe .

Susie wants a grey tabby and has yet to think of any names that match the epicNess of mine. She sucks. However, today I visited the site to see how my house is getting along - they've finished the roof and the solar panels are up. Oh and I noticed the staircase has gone in.

Grey tabbies are great! How about Figaro?

Oh wait, I'm thinking of Geppetto from Pinocchio

Federer won against Djokovic
    Last edited by earthJoker; 06-03-2011 at 08:10 PM.

How the HELL did I miss that match? Shouldn't be in the happy thread, but darn it.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Well it was a really exiting game. I hope the final will be as good, it's time for Federer to beat Nadal in Paris.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Haha, I'm willing to bet that Nadal kicks his ass pretty badly. Federer needs to be at his prime to beat Nadal, and that he isn't.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Kittens are awesome!

---

I've had the same Creative 7.1 speaker set since...well, Creative released 7.1 speaker sets. Gamewise they never caught on and I never really got that "perfect" setup of the speakers being in the best positions and angles.

So I went out and bought a pair of these 5.1 headphones:

Never owned headphones before, so I wasn't spoiled or expecting much, and its so incredibly hard to get a balanced user review on headphones, they're almost all written by stuck up audiophiles. So far, I've been pleasantly surprised. Sound is clear, crisp, and the bass makes my head rattle.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    Haha, I'm willing to bet that Nadal kicks his ass pretty badly. Federer needs to be at his prime to beat Nadal, and that he isn't.
    Many many Tennis experts say that Federer never played as good on clay as in Roland Garros this year. And Nadal doesn't seem to be as good as in other years.

Got a dishwasher installed and had a mobile airco unit delivered for my bedroom here in Istanbul. I was so excited about finally having a dishwasher here that I am doing the first load now without detergent
    Congratulations America

Got Amanda a new bunny rabbit. Cutest little thing ever, after a while trying to come up with the best name for him we determined upon Denny. Denny Crane.

this was a triumph for the first time I was almost completely satisfied, and so I'm not too embarrassed to say the photo doesn't do it justice
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    You called it. Nadal in tip top form. 3-1.

Good. Federer is arrogant.

Nadal is exciting and fiery and young, yet still has humility in his rare defeats.

Andy Murray? In true British form - just isn't quite good enough.

Looking forward to Wimbledon. Really need to make the effort to buy tickets - considering i've never been and I actually live in Wimbledon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    You called it. Nadal in tip top form. 3-1.

Good. Federer is arrogant.
    Come on, that was a close match with the exception of the 4th set.

Why do you think Federer is arrogant, never heard that before.

Being one of the best tennis players in the world gives you some excuse (and reason) to be somewhat arrogant anyway.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Got Amanda a new bunny rabbit. Cutest little thing ever, after a while trying to come up with the best name for him we determined upon Denny. Denny Crane.
    Pictures, please. Long eared or lop eared, what breed? Denny sounds cute for a name, if you're sure it's a he.

My old neighbors had a lop eared rabbit, they trained him to use a cat box with cat litter. He had free roam of the house. They only had to put him in a cage when company came, because he'd try to hop out any open door. Last I heard he was still hopping around their house as an elderly 15 yr old rabbit, leaving rabbit turds and pee pee in the cat box. Snuggling in their laps like a cat, nuzzling at their necks with sweet grunts.

But instead of meowing or purring like a cat, he'd grunt like a guinea pig. And instead of sharpening claws on furniture, he chewed and gnawed on everything. Including electric cords. He grew really big, fat, and fluffy, and they had a helluva time keeping his teeth naturally filed down with carrots and rabbit treats, and keeping his nails filed. So soft and fluffily cuddly, though.

Google's Music Beta. Had it for a few days now, but just now dug into it. Seems to have uploaded my music without issue so the core idea of the program seems to work.

The cool part is the insane amount of free music, and its not all crap. I've got stuff in my playlist from Weird Al, Usher, Run-DMC, Mariah Carey, even Bow Wow I've go hundreds of free music files I can play from any internet connected machine, and no commericals so far.
    Plus the design is very similar to MediaMonkey, so I was able to jump right into using it.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Being one of the best tennis players in the world gives you some excuse (and reason) to be somewhat arrogant anyway.
    But I never saw him acting arrogant. Well at least he doesn't have a mother like Murray.