Page 91 of 209 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Just ordered the Nintendo reward thingy for this year, I'm glad OG told us about his last year since I never would have registered and entered codes without outside influence.

We've also picked up a few things with the coins throughout the year, it makes them happy, anyway.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I was actually disappointed in the pins. nintendo Japan got a SNES controller that plugs into the Wii

I've been picking up a few things from the club rewards, got a few kirby patches, zelda and mario posters, a cloth bag I use to take lunch to work. Its all been really easy to claim and good quality.

-------------------

Went downtown last night for the fireworks. Stood alongside the bridge by channelside to watch the show. They shoot the fireworks really low to make sure neighboring locations can't leech off the show, and to do that they have to shoot them off from a barge in the water thats only a few hundred feet from shore, so it all looked amazing.

The bridge wasn't packed, but it was crowded enough to create conversations, throw some frisbees and balls around, etc. so we were all having a good time. Which was good, because they were a goddamn hour late getting the boat positioned and the fireworks going. Crowd at one point started shooting roman candles and other protectiles towards the boat.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

That would have been way better, but my son is excited about the pins (and I also ordered him the messenger bag at the same time).

Finally went to the doctor today; after waiting 2 hours at urgent care and running into the doctor I don't like I found out that my toe isn't broken, I just really smooshed it good! So I get to sit on my butt today, with 800mg ibuprofen, while my mom watches the kiddie today. Hmm, what to watch on Netflix....

Pink Panther!

I spent an entertaining 30 minutes looking through their suggestions for me. That was one.

I think they're confused about what my kids like based on the kid/family suggestions, though.

I love the old Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers.

Since we don't have a thread about what made you laugh today....

My son knew he was going to get a haircut, but tried to cut his own shaggy hair in the middle of the night just to see how it would turn out. Using kitchen scissors and not using mirrors to see the back of his head. Absolutely hysterical results.

I did that when I was about 11 or 12. Had a tuft of blonde hair sticking up from my crown, which irritated me. So I got a pair of kitchen scissors and cut it. Cue premature bald patch.

I feel for your son.

Have had the most lovely day. Good long lie-in, great cooking, cuddling and cosiness, puttering around cleaning etc, great movie, it's just one of those perfect days. Back down to sthlm tomorrow, back to work on monday
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

In 12 hours or so Dance with Dragons will be uploaded to my iPad.
    Congratulations America

Vacation!

No more bitching from me about shit going all kinds of wrong in our lab!
    (well, for a month or so, anyway)
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Last night of work, then on wednesday I go to a 4 day music festival (www.dourfestival.be ), followed by a week of summerclass about nuclear power generation, followed by a midweek partying in Berlin

Now, what to pack...
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

After having returned from 2 weeks of vacation in the party suburbs of Turkey, there is only one month left before I'm enrolled into national service. Ahead of that day, I'm training almost like a boxer. Run, run, run. All to build stamina. Also doing some basic strength workouts. My goal is 10 pull ups, 30 push ups, 40 sit ups and 12.30 in a 3KM run. If I keep the pressure up, things should work out pleasantly!
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Doing up my apartment to rent out, as I'm moving in with my girlfriend next week.

Replaced the shower, bath taps, sink taps, resealed in the bath and waterproofed it, and regrouted some of the tiling.

Never done any of those before, and really pleased with the results.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 07-14-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Those are feel-good things, aren't they Tim? Reminds me of what sellers say....by the time they get the place all fixed up and shiny, it's the kind of place they'd like to live in themselves, so.....why are they moving out again?

Yeh I'm feeling a bit precious about the place - never rented out before so have no idea what tenants are like - don't want people coming in and wrecking the place.

I've specified no students and no smokers tho. Agents reckon it'd suit a young professional singleton or couple which would be perfect.

Agents took photos yesterday so the place was up on the webternet by last night, so expecting a few viewings today.

Rental market is very strong at the moment, not a lot of places available in London to rent, nobody can afford to buy which means there are more tenants running around, so prices are v high. All good news for me.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 07-14-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Grammar of a five-year old.

Not to be too nosey, Tim....but why isn't your lady moving into your place, and renting out hers?

good question.

Cos she wears the trousers.

Nah - she has a two bedroom apartment, mine is one bedroom. So hers is a little bigger and can fit more stuff in than I can.

Plus, at the time we made this decision, my place of work was closer to hers than to mine (she's Zone 3 - I'm Zone 4 - Zone 1 being central London). Kinda irrelevant now that I no longer work there. But since I'll be lookin for work in the city it still kinda applies.

The idea is, if things work out living together for a couple of years, we'll buy a place together, and either hang on to one or both of ours as a rental investment, depending how much we can save.

Ah, that makes sense if she has more space. Sounds a bit pressurized though ("if things work out for a couple of years....") so hope it works out well for you as a couple. You've always posted about her with such joy and sweetness, you love out loud. Get it---LOL?

Aw Fanx.

Sounds a bit pressurized though ("if things work out for a couple of years....")
    I'm probably a little more cynical these days, what with one of my previous house-buying adventures with my fiancée going to pot after we'd spent so much time, money and energy doing up the place, only to lose out horribly on the housing market when we split up.

Plus I'm that much older and perhaps wiser. Less willing/able to put myself at emotional or financial risk.

But I get good vibes about this one.

You do send out good vibes on "this one". Your last affair was, as you say, time-money-energy lost. Nothing about love lost.

"This one" is actually testing your emotional self, because you're older and wiser. If it doesn't feel risky, then maybe she's The One?

Heh. Do people in the mid-thirties and beyond still retain a concept of The One?

Of course! That doesn't mean The One is something from a fantasy, or some romanticized ideal. The One means....hmm....well it must mean different things to different people, at different times of their lives, of course. Damn good question, Tim.

Not that I'm the best example or anything, but I married [The One] and welcomed partnership and parenthood, fully expecting to grow old together, sharing our lives with children and grandchildren, and one of us would eventually bury the other. Didn't turn out that way.

I still think there's The One out there, hoping for me as I'm hoping for him. Maybe I'm just a sappy old romantic who will die alone, surrounded by my cats and photos of my kids and sweet memories. With a wisp of hope in my heart that will die along with me but won't be noticed. Better than dying with an empty and cold heart and no hope. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Of course! That doesn't mean The One is something from a fantasy, or some romanticized ideal.
    No?

I used to think in these fantastical, romantic terms, in the idealism of youth.

Not anymore.

Which is why I was surprised to hear someone my age or older refer to the term. It's a term I attribute to either the young and naiive or the romantically-deluded --> the Mills & Boonsters <-- who long and yearn for a tall dark stranger to take them in his tanned, muscular arms, whisper perfect words, and sweep them off to happily-ever-after land.

The One means....hmm....well it must mean different things to different people, at different times of their lives, of course. Damn good question, Tim.

Not that I'm the best example or anything, but I married [The One] and welcomed partnership and parenthood, fully expecting to grow old together, sharing our lives with children and grandchildren, and one of us would eventually bury the other. Didn't turn out that way.

I still think there's The One out there, hoping for me as I'm hoping for him. Maybe I'm just a sappy old romantic who will die alone, surrounded by my cats and photos of my kids and sweet memories. With a wisp of hope in my heart that will die along with me but won't be noticed. Better than dying with an empty and cold heart and no hope. I hope.
    Hmmm. 'Didn't turn out that way' ...

We all hope we will meet someone with whom we can laugh, cry, be comfortable with, have sex with, talk about our day with, make plans with, live with, be happy with and grow old with. Compatibility is all it is.

Perhaps you refer to The One to mean the same as 'one of many millions out there with whom I am compatible enough with'

Or do you hold hold it in more romantic and idealistic terms?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    No?

I used to think in these fantastical, romantic terms, in the idealism of youth.

Not anymore.

Which is why I was surprised to hear someone my age or older refer to the term. It's a term I attribute to either the young and naiive or the romantically-deluded --> the Mills & Boonsters <-- who long and yearn for a tall dark stranger to take them in his tanned, muscular arms, whisper perfect words, and sweep them off to happily-ever-after land.
    Who the hell are Mills & Boonsters? Sounds like cheezy romantic paperbacks that we read on the beach in less than one day, but we call them Harlequin novels. That's entertainment and fantasy.

Hmmm. 'Didn't turn out that way' ...

We all hope we will meet someone with whom we can laugh, cry, be comfortable with, have sex with, talk about our day with, make plans with, live with, be happy with and grow old with. Compatibility is all it is.

Perhaps you refer to The One to mean the same as 'one of many millions out there with whom I am compatible enough with'

Or do you hold hold it in more romantic and idealistic terms?
    Compatible sounds good. I might add sympatico, and companion. One of many millions, but special nonetheless. I'd rather be alone than "settle" for just anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Who the hell are Mills & Boonsters? Sounds like cheezy romantic paperbacks that we read on the beach in less than one day, but we call them Harlequin novels. That's entertainment and fantasy.
    Mills & Boon - Yep you got it.

Thought they were worldwide.

Renowned publishers of cheap romance thrills ...

But yes, read on the beach in a day - chick-reads.

Compatible sounds good. I might add sympatico, and companion. One of many millions, but special nonetheless. I'd rather be alone than "settle" for just anyone.
    Well that's a point. A lot of people probably do settle for less than they should.

Is someone 'special' not just one of those millions with whom we have enough compatibility, and want to be with? Special to you in other words, but not to someone else.

We call them penny novels in our system. Shallow stories, cookie cutter romance novels, if you read one you've read them all. We can literally buy them at a penny a pop.

Yet they are some of the most popular paperbacks, large type, and ebooks we offer.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'd call those Harlequin romance novels. Chick books. The covers are titillating at the airport when you know there's a long day ahead....maybe sitting next to some "large" person that consumes the shared armrest, or someone in front of you that makes the tray dig into your knees, or some kid behind you that keeps kicking your seat. The headphones don't work well, the in-flight movie sucks, the beverage cart looks about 30 minutes away, and....

They can be pretty hot novels, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    We call them penny novels in our system. Shallow stories, cookie cutter romance novels, if you read one you've read them all. We can literally buy them at a penny a pop.

Yet they are some of the most popular paperbacks, large type, and ebooks we offer.
    Hmm, and what percentage of your patrons are lonely wives or stay at home moms who are looking for a way to escape their miserable existence?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Hmm, and what percentage of your patrons are lonely wives or stay at home moms who are looking for a way to escape their miserable existence?
    Probably more than we could imagine. I see women in the "senior" demographic reading these paperbacks. Makes them smile and blush. It's kinda cute.

Lolli, what do you read when you feel lonely or want to temporarily escape your life as a mom?