Page 92 of 209 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,760 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Short answer - whatever I can lay my hands on. I read fast, anyway.

My guilty pleasures are murder mysteries and historical fiction (preferably not the romances, though).

I just don't get that much pleasure out of trashy fiction, so I don't bother. I've wound up reading some absolute garbage because of Barnes and Noble's free Friday e-books, but I have this problem where when I start a book I absolutely have to finish it (and more than likely if it is a part of a series I have to read the rest of the series) or I go absolutely nutters from not knowing.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Hmm, and what percentage of your patrons are lonely wives or stay at home moms who are looking for a way to escape their miserable existence?
    A good percentage I bet, but the county is huge, and we can describe libraries based on demographics of that region. That library is for the unhappy mothers, single rich fathers, and kids with more then 2 parents. That other library is for kids who rarely see their parents, would rather steal a book instead of checking it out for free, etc. We have a library thats right outside the largest cluster of retirement communities in the county, and thats why I mentioned large type books; old people love large type romance novels!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Netflix just landed on the 3DS, one the programs I was counting on to make my 3DS purchase worth it. Now I can catch up on my Xena watching while taking a shit!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

A full sized trampoline for The Boy. (Fully netted and padded)
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Netflix just landed on the 3DS, one the programs I was counting on to make my 3DS purchase worth it. Now I can catch up on my Xena watching while taking a shit!
    My son downloaded it already, he's super happy.

Bet the battery life while streaming is a huge joke.

Also,VR - my daughter wants a trampoline soooooo badly, but our backyard sucks for it.

Pay day today!

Reading Game of Thrones and it is awesome! I love my Kindle!

Lily can walk!

14 days till my iPhone contract expires... Gonna move to Android and get a Samsung Galaxy S II

And I finally worked out how much student loan I have left to pay: £1300! Will be paid off in 4 months
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    My son downloaded it already, he's super happy.

Bet the battery life while streaming is a huge joke.
    The 3DS has also been redesigned so that it understands web portals at wifi spots now. The older models would get stuck because the usage agreement at first log in would stop the machine from verifying a good connection. The 3DS finally understands how to handle them.

That means I can watch netflix at work

How do you confuse a building full of librarians?

Setup a lifesize cutout of Duke Nukem in the staff elevator.

How do you confuse a building full of librarians?

Setup a lifesize cutout of Duke Nukem in the staff elevator.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

All I have is a picture of the cut out, its somewhere on these boards (anyone know where that went?). A broke coworker had been bugging me about Duke Nukem for a while. He was working Sunday because he had a Harry Potter program first thing in the morning. He is also lives right down the street from work, so I expected him to be one of the first people in yesterday. I figured I'd set it up in the elevator, and find some busy work to do on the floor where all the librarian's desk are located.

So of course I get their early, setup, and he gets there late, like 20 minutes late. Poor thing rode up and down the elevator for a good half hour before he showed up. Not what I planned on, so I wasn't expecting that all the librarians would meet Duke for the first time via empty elevator during nonbusiness hours. No one directly conforted me about it, and almost everyone was more confused about the who/why of what makes Duke important enough for a cutout.

All I have is a picture of the cut out, its somewhere on these boards (anyone know where that went?). A broke coworker had been bugging me about Duke Nukem for a while. He was working Sunday because he had a Harry Potter program first thing in the morning. He is also lives right down the street from work, so I expected him to be one of the first people in yesterday. I figured I'd set it up in the elevator, and find some busy work to do on the floor where all the librarian's desk are located.

So of course I get their early, setup, and he gets there late, like 20 minutes late. Poor thing rode up and down the elevator for a good half hour before he showed up. Not what I planned on, so I wasn't expecting that all the librarians would meet Duke for the first time via empty elevator during nonbusiness hours. No one directly conforted me about it, and almost everyone was more confused about the who/why of what makes Duke important enough for a cutout.

Happy thread
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Server broke at work, IT told me it was "blown" and would need replacing. Along with other parts and software as a result. Total bill: £16,000

I ignore IT and open up unit and try and fix it. Trace it to a faulty RAM Card. Total bill: £7.99

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Server broke at work, IT told me it was "blown" and would need replacing. Along with other parts and software as a result. Total bill: £16,000

I ignore IT and open up unit and try and fix it. Trace it to a faulty RAM Card. Total bill: £7.99
    ECC RAM only costs £7.99 over there?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyMilk View Post
    I love my Kindle!
    Let us hope the Flipback book takes off so the Kindle can die.

My mom just won a kindle, I'm hoping to snag it from her before to long.

Happy thread
    For something that could have gone so horribly wrong, to turn out so right, when so many things did go wrong. I was happy.

Less Kindles, more books.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    ECC RAM only costs £7.99 over there?
    I like how the £7.99 rather than the £16,000 was the price tag that got your attention . Its second-hand, found online, but the exact same model number as the existing RAM and having been tested and offered with a 3 month warranty.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I like how the £7.99 rather than the £16,000 was the price tag that got your attention . Its second-hand, found online, but the exact same model number as the existing RAM and having been tested and offered with a 3 month warranty.
    Ah, ok. I just remembered that ECC RAM for servers ain't cheap

And no, the 16,000 price tag did not astound me. It's server hardware, after all.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Let us hope the Flipback book takes off so the Kindle can die.

Oh look, a book snob. Do you like the way a books feels, the weight of it, the smell of it?

Go away hippy boy, let me read my library of books in peace

- Omar Little

Hey now, I love my e-readers, and their convenience (I get to go book-shopping at 3am and not have to wait for shipping or the store to open for store-pickup), but I don't think it should completely replace hardcopies.

I finally got a Google+ invite

I was also given control of our Blog, so its going to be interesting having the higher ups flood me with stupid shit thats not important enough to be posted.

Dude, if you wanted a Google+ invite, all you needed to do was ask. Plenty to go around.

Oh look, a book snob. Do you like the way a books feels, the weight of it, the smell of it?

Go away hippy boy, let me read my library of books in peace
    I work for this place: Link

Kindles are the devil in our market.

I'm with you, Lor. Anyone can call me a book snob all they want. Kindle and e-books are great, too...but will never fully replace the value of a paper printed and bound hard-back book.

How did you move from the auto industry to print publishing, though?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'm with you, Lor. Anyone can call me a book snob all they want. Kindle and e-books are great, too...but will never fully replace the value of a paper printed and bound hard-back book.

How did you move from the auto industry to print publishing, though?
    You cannot beat a nice cased bound book printed on a mechanical bookwove that once introduced to the elements changes colour. It's all part of the character of the book.

However working with the damn things means I can't handle dealing with reading a good book or refraining from checking out a imprint page in a bookshop to find out who printed it and what the quality of the book is like.

As for me moving from one to the other, well, first of all it didn't help being made redundant, but offered a role elsewhere. Then after 4 years I was unhappy as I was basically becoming a 'Jack of all trades' and doing things beyond my contract/pay and not getting any kind of bonus or recognition.

My current job came up in the paper, i went for it and got it! However it meant that I'd have to start at the bottom of the ladder but I simply wasn't happy and needed to get out. It's not been a fantastic ride, I'm a little frustrated at the lack of progression even though I can cover 4 different departments and go beyond the call of duty but they've already given me training and they're gearing me up to take charge of capacity planning of the entire plant so a little patience from me is required.

Just downloaded Sky Go, which is a free service to play TV channels I have on my package on the iPhone/Laptop, even outside the house. We have the full Sky package including all sports (which I like) and movies (which we both do), but the problem is Amanda hates sport. Plus I'm often at work during the good sporting events. Probably won't be able to use it much at work, but currently playing England v India First Test Match (Cricket) live on the iPhone while she watches Eastenders.

How are England batting? Last I checked we were something like 64-2.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Dude, if you wanted a Google+ invite, all you needed to do was ask. Plenty to go around.
    Tnx, so what do I do now?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yeah, I don't really "get" that whole Google+ shit. I don't even care.

What would make you Happiest?

Family
    Money
    Friends
    Health
    Career
    Love
    Entertainment
    Security
    Leisure
    Longevity
    Peace