Page 184 of 209 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,520 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Good pic of Flixy's inner punk
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm happy that I was able to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with my sisters, even though we live hundreds of miles away, AND that my kids made an effort to visit with the family they rarely see. They were dragged to family events by parents (like me) during their childhood, so it's interesting to see how they view family gatherings as young adults. I hope they haven't been "guilted" into the whole thing, even though it's not much FUN to hang out with my family.

28" 4K computer monitor. I've been stuck for a long while between 144hz or 4k, but Amazon had this thing for $170. So 4k it was.

Holy shit, Witcher 3 on low only nets ~47fps. Time for a new video card
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 12-01-2016 at 01:36 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

New York?
    In December?
    Business Class round trip?
    Paid for by work?
    Don't mind if I do.

Not sure what parts of NY are the most Chritmassy at Christmas, but will only have one evening free to explore so will have to find them.

Rockerfeller centre being one for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Nice, have fun!

So you actually get enough time off on work trips?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

In the other thread that made me remember cowering under my desk if the Russians started nuclear war....I recalled things that made me feel safe. The scent of my mother's perfume (Shalimar) and my father's aftershave (Old Spice) as they hugged me. The smell of their breath (a combination of Doublemint gum and tobacco) as they talked. I'd forgotten how powerful those scents can be. It makes me feel happy to remember them again.

Tonight I heard a cat meowing when I was in my bedroom in Istanbul. Nothing strange with that;it happens all the time. But then a couple of hours later I heard it again. I got out a torch, moved my bed aside and looked in the airshaft behind. Turns out in the cold dirt there was a kitten. With a joint effort we managed to scoop him up and now he's sleeping in the kitchen. He smells awful but looks ever so happy and pretty. Can't be much older than 6 weeks though. Which is odd for the time of year.
    Congratulations America

Aww, kitty!
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Pictures or didn't happen.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Vive la kitty resistance

Let's see if this works
    Congratulations America

You should name him Asterisk on account of no one knowing how he got there

I think it's not going to make it. It doesn't eat or drink by itself. Once I figured out that he didn't I started feeding it. But it doesn't even bother to lick spillage off its face. I feed it cream now, for calories and liquid.

And indeed, kitty didn't make it. I was optimistic for a very short while after it actually pooped. But 15 minutes after that there were no more signs of life. Waited for another 20 minutes to be certain, but the flees leaving the corpse, the non-responsiveness and the fully diluted pupils left little doubt there. Too bad really.
    Last edited by Hazir; 12-19-2016 at 10:12 PM.
    Congratulations America

Something about kediler in Turkey (video inside): http://jezebel.com/this-cat-document...anu-1790293984
    Hope is the denial of reality

Today I learned that I'm not the only one who hums the Addams Family theme whenever I eat baba ghanoush

Alt-right leader Richard Spencer worries getting punched will become 'meme to end all memes'
    Who would have guessed Trump would be the one to bring back the enjoyment of punching Nazis.

Some samples: http://kotaku.com/nazi-gets-punched-...tes-1791469552
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

So I made dashi and it turned out fab used it to make shabu shabu for the ginger's birthday dinner. I went a little overboard and bought about 6 kg of very nice ribeye at like a third of its usual price.

In even happier news I have a new nephew!! that makes the sixth family member to be born in January. He weighs nearly as much as my ribeye-hoard but everyone seems to be doing well soon he'll have a cousin to poo-race with.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    In even happier news I have a new nephew!! that makes the sixth family member to be born in January. He weighs nearly as much as my ribeye-hoard but everyone seems to be doing well soon he'll have a cousin to poo-race with.
    Does this mean you and your wife are expecting? If so, congratulations!

I'm in line to see the LEGO Batman movie.

After a lot of frustrated hunting I finally have my new Spectre x360 still getting used to it but I kinda love it, even though it doesn't have a matte screen like the XPS 13. I held out, and paid more than I'd planned to, because of the keyboard and I must confess I'm a little ambivalent about it right now. In terms of quality, it's an excellent keyboard. However, the layout is a little bit annoying on the right hand side, esp. wrt the return-key and the apostrophe-key. I expect my fingers will get used to this layout soon enough and I think I'll re-bind some of the keys to make mistakes less annoying. I love, love, love the inclusion of dedicated Home and End keys I thought Windows Hello would be overrated but it's really quite nice.

If you're looking for a regular or convertible ultrabook in this price range the three models you might want to consider are the Kaby Lake models of the Spectre x360, the Yoga 910 and the XPS 13. Each has its pros and cons and none are bad. I would've liked a larger screen, like the Yoga, and I would've liked the XPS 13's matte (and gorgeous) screen, but I'm very pleased with the x360 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    We're pregnant.
    Its a girl! (again), due in June.

If you're looking for a regular or convertible ultrabook in this price range the three models you might want to consider are the Kaby Lake models of the Spectre x360, the Yoga 910 and the XPS 13. Each has its pros and cons and none are bad. I would've liked a larger screen, like the Yoga, and I would've liked the XPS 13's matte (and gorgeous) screen, but I'm very pleased with the x360 so far.
    Unless one is in desperate need of a laptop I'd wait for AMD. If not to break up Intel's lack of progress, then to shake up the current pricing structure. Its all about the Ryzen baby.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-08-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Well yeah but I've become cynical after many years of AMD-associated disappointment I was actually "desperate" for a laptop, my 7-y-o netbook wasn't going to cut it for much longer. waiting for ryzen before I upgrade the desktop though.

Ding ding level up.

Promotion
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Ding ding level up.

Promotion
    So the Porsche did work...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Ding ding level up.

Promotion
    Important enough for it to be annouced after the markets closed ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    So the Porsche did work...
    Somehow managed to achieve this without the clichéd status symbol
    Porker hasn't arrived in country yet ... due to pick it up 1st March.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Important enough for it to be annouced after the markets closed ?
    FTSE will take a sharp upturn when markets open in the morning

Congrats was it unexpected? Does this mean you won't move to Hong Kong to learn Kung Fu??

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Does this mean you and your wife are expecting? If so, congratulations!
    Merci still so early that "hoping" may be more appropriate than "expecting" but if all goes well the little nerd will arrive right on time for the elk hunt *knock on wood*

Merci still so early that "hoping" may be more appropriate than "expecting" but if all goes well the little nerd will arrive right on time for the elk hunt *knock on wood*
    Well, it makes me very happy to hear that, and I'm happy to hope along with you. Little ones bring big changes, but also fulfill you in a way that's almost impossible to describe.