Page 178 of 209 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,340 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

I've had a very very long weekend but tomorrow it's back to being on call 1-9 PM which means I won't be home for the ginger's birthday. Even so, we've been v productive this evening and now enjoying the reward that is our due: a glass of excellent wine and some good reading, with a new take on daal puttering on the stove and filling the house with a lovely aroma

As for seltzer and fizzy water and their abominable kin, they got beef and are thumbds down
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...assets-cartoon

Danish politicians are demanding the cartoon be taken down and that an apology be issued

https://www.unseen64.net/saintsrowundercover/

Not often we get cancelled games released after the fact for free.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Puppy monkey baby
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

F-18s are considered historic museum pieces??

UK is flying older tech than that on missions against ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

That says more about the UK than it does about the CF-18.

Obviously the article was in jest, but the last cf18 came off the assembly line almost 30 years ago. They originally were essentially the F-18 A/B variant, though about 80 of them were upgraded to the C/D variant in the 2000s... Which ended production in the US in the early 90s IIRC.

The original F/A-18 is a capable aircraft, sure, but it definitely doesn't count as cutting edge - it's about 2 technological increments old, even with upgraded avionics. There is no wonder the Canadian air force is planning on retiring them all in the next few years.

The USN uses the C/D variant still, but the heavy lifting is done by Super Hornets, which are a dramatic jump in performance: much larger range, better engines and handling, much reduced RCS at low cost, great avionics in block II, more versatile (eg the buddy refueling and e18g roles)... The list goes on. There are other fighters that continue to be relevant and from a similar era - eg the f16. But those F16s are rarely the ones built in the 1980s, but rather late-block, heavily updated designs based on a similar airframe - eg the f16i or the like. Even those are mostly just stopgap measures until the f35 production really gears up.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

2 out of 5-6 hotels booked! WOO!!

Also I'll be able to see my mum in sthlm this weekend, she wasn't sure if she'd make it back in time but it looks like she will

Champions league tonight! My local club is up against Atlético Madrid, so honestly the chances aren't that great. But they've played well in the CL so far so there's always a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Champions league tonight! My local club is up against Atlético Madrid, so honestly the chances aren't that great. But they've played well in the CL so far so there's always a chance
    Barca look like an unstoppable train as usual.

Arsenal 0 - 2 Barca.

Arsenal are in form too, fighting for top of the premier league.

Off to NY tomorrow for GODDAM VACATION YO!

*jealous*

Don't forget to treat yourself to s combo pan roast at the oyster bar

Oyster Bar is near the top of our list. Was closed for refurb when we were in NY last so missed out.
    Combo Pan Roast. Gotcha.

Also got reservations at Nomad restaurant. Anyone been? Good eatery?

Arsenal 0 - 2 Barca.

Yeah, I saw it. Though to be honest the attack from Arsenal didn't seem that much in form - great build up at times, followed by the players completely misunderstanding eachother and everything falling apart. Still, they got close to scoring, and kept Barça at bay for one half, which is pretty impressive. I must admit I was relieved PSV didn't draw against Barcelona, Real or Bayern, Atletico is also probably a better team, but at least now there's still a chance. On the right side, Guardado and Willems are back after injuries, on the downside, the top striker (Luuk de Jong - I think he played in the PL for a while too but didn't do too well) is suspended for one match due to a stupid yellow card, apparently he forgot he was one away from being suspended...

Have fun in NY! I'm on 'vacation' for a few days myself, but only to Stuttgart Next month I'm going to Barcelona (well, 2 nights in Reus and 2 nights in Barcelona) for a long weekend, am really looking forward to that

Out of curiosity, how special is that oyster place that it's so high on your lists? Hadn't heard of it, and don't you usually eat Oysters raw anyway? I'd think it doesn't matter that much where you get them

Oyster Bar is near the top of our list. Was closed for refurb when we were in NY last so missed out.
    Combo Pan Roast. Gotcha.
    It's the only restaurant we made a point of returning to on our short and kinda food-focused trip. I must warn you: it's noisy and crowded (I mean bustling ), a little confusing, and service is... different from your typical restaurant. You'll likely be served by a cynical no-nonsense DGAF new yorker who's worked there for way too many years and only cares about getting your food from the kitchen to your general vicinity before you become too dazed from wine, sound and heat.

But the price is right and the food is just incredibly satisfying, the atmosphere is extremely fun if you don't go in expecting a restaurant, the restaurant is just beautiful as is Grand Central Station. I have dreamed about that meal several times since returning to Sweden

Also got reservations at Nomad restaurant. Anyone been? Good eatery?
    Okay so I really really hate doing this because experiences will differ and many people really like Nomad, but... I'm going to make an exception and I hope this doesn't mess up your trip. We were disappointed by Nomad. It did not compare favorably to other similarly upscale restaurants and iirc you live in London where you can def. find better. The food was okay but uninspired. Service was unobtrusive for the most part, which I like, but bordering on being unwelcoming, surly and above all unhelpful. Cocktails were okay. Interior was nice but kinda gloomy and the vibe, I just wasn't feeling it. I think that we may have had an unusually bad experience but it may also be the case that they've gotten stuck in a rut or suffered from the extremely positive reviews (greater pressure, too many guests, tempted to rest on their laurels etc).

I'd honestly suggest being on the lookout for fun, creative, well-reviewed restaurants one, two or even three tiers down. NYC is an awesome city for food

If you do go to Nomad, I hope you have an excellent time despite my review which I honestly kinda regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Okay so I really really hate doing this because experiences will differ and many people really like Nomad, but... I'm going to make an exception and I hope this doesn't mess up your trip. We were disappointed by Nomad. It did not compare favorably to other similarly upscale restaurants and iirc you live in London where you can def. find better. The food was okay but uninspired. Service was unobtrusive for the most part, which I like, but bordering on being unwelcoming, surly and above all unhelpful. Cocktails were okay. Interior was nice but kinda gloomy and the vibe, I just wasn't feeling it. I think that we may have had an unusually bad experience but it may also be the case that they've gotten stuck in a rut or suffered from the extremely positive reviews (greater pressure, too many guests, tempted to rest on their laurels etc).

I'd honestly suggest being on the lookout for fun, creative, well-reviewed restaurants one, two or even three tiers down. NYC is an awesome city for food

If you do go to Nomad, I hope you have an excellent time despite my review which I honestly kinda regret.
    Ah panties.

Was really looking forward to it. It was recommended to my better half by the guy she works for - a well known UK 2-michelin-star chef. He has apparently been in touch with Nomad (he rates it very highly) to let them know we're coming, so we're kinda wondering if we'll get some kind of VIP treatment laid on or something. Mebbe a free cocktail.

Disappointed you didn't like it, as I know you and your missus are dedicated foodies. But as you say, experiences differ.

Will report back once I've been.

I think that considering your connections you may indeed have a much better experience I need to get to know some foodie hotshots

Knowing people alwyas helps Even if it's just a small thing - a while back I went to see the Edvard Munch exhibition at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam (which was really, really nice), but there was a huuuuge line outside. But thanks to connections we got the skip the line, saving us up to an hour in freezing weather

Also, PSV- Atletico was 0-0, I guess that's good against the Spanish #2*. Was also pleasantly surprised by the beer prices in Stuttgart, right downtown I paid just over €9 for two pints and a 0.3cl, not likely you'll get that in the center of any major Dutch city.

* Away goals count for more, so this means that 0-0 in Madrid means extra time + penalties, and any other draw means PSV advances

Arsenal 0 - 2 Barca.

Barca should have been down to 10 men, with further players sporting yellow cards for play acting. Cheating scum!

WalMart is doing 75% off their red ticket clearance. Im picking up games, guides, shoes for $3 bucks. I can redo my bathroom in star wars for $1.75 a piece...

My 6 year old is way better at rocket league than I was expecting. Maybe I've finally found the start of our video game bonding.

I'm 'happy' that I don't know or care about all the latest social media shit.

Work ditched Brighthouse (Time Warner) as our wifi provider for the library public and decided to go with a more robust and managable in house solution. Downloads went from 5 to 50mb, and uploads went from dialup to a matching 50mb.

Took the after school teens 2 days to figure out there was no longer a block on p2p transfers.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-03-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Keytar bear was playing at my subway stop this evening. Made my day; much better than the occasional accordionist (accordioner? accordionista?). And he looked like he was having so much fun.

Work bonus.

New PC ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    On that note, I'll be "happy" when the whole pink ribbon marketing campaign (for breast cancer research) is done and gone. It's become gross that so many consumer products have that pink ribbon....even bags of potato chips.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Keytar bear was playing at my subway stop this evening. Made my day; much better than the occasional accordionist (accordioner? accordionista?). And he looked like he was having so much fun.
    There was a segment today on NPR, about why accordian music makes people feel happy.

Even when it's an American playing Johnny Cash tunes to Afghanis that don't know English, or have lived with "bans" on music, the sound of music still resonates. Even if it's based on a memory, it's still a good thing.
    Last edited by GGT; 03-23-2016 at 04:57 AM.