Page 204 of 209 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,120 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Congrats!

Buying a house without seeing it seems risky, glad it's amazing.
    My first home was a new build here in the UK, the house at the time didn't exist and was just CAD drawings. It's not at all daunting, in fact, the other polar opposite - I visited daily and got to the progress. Bricklayers were the ones that shocked me, those guys are fast.

Yeah, they're incredible would love to be able to have something built form scratch, but, in the parts of town we're looking at, that's basically impossible atm.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I had to move further out from a town to get the chance. I sold that property 2 years ago and moved into a 1960s detached bungalow (one storey home for those that maybe don't get what i mean). Currently renovating this place to a more modern standard.

That's what I did. Main road connects my work and my new place, but at work it's 8 lanes wide and by the time I get home it's 2 lanes. I call it "living on the edge of civilization". Even the night sky looks different this far out.

This is our 15 year home. If the population continues to shift like it is, this place is going to make up at least half of my retirement.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Give me 'living on the edge of civilzation' any time of the week. I'm 5 mins away from the beach (by car), in the summer months my evening are spent either longboarding around the beach front or playing on the beach with the kids. I do not miss city/town life.

P.S - Glad to see your doing well OG.

My wife and I just had an offer accepted on a condo... a bit surreal and we're going to be writing a ridiculously large check next month. But hopefully it all works out!
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    My first home was a new build here in the UK, the house at the time didn't exist and was just CAD drawings. It's not at all daunting, in fact, the other polar opposite - I visited daily and got to the progress. Bricklayers were the ones that shocked me, those guys are fast.
    Whoops, makes sense for a new house. I was still in my mindset of house hunting older homes, for those it'd be risky. But you hear stories in the current crazy market of people making high bids for existing homes and just hoping it's as nice as advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    My wife and I just had an offer accepted on a condo... a bit surreal and we're going to be writing a ridiculously large check next month. But hopefully it all works out!
    Congrats!

I passed my lean six sigma black belt exam! Now to find a good project, but it's not like there's no room for improvement in our processes at work (it's insanely complex with a lot of checks to avoid errors and across multiple departments, definitely not efficient).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I passed my lean six sigma black belt exam! Now to find a good project, but it's not like there's no room for improvement in our processes at work (it's insanely complex with a lot of checks to avoid errors and across multiple departments, definitely not efficient).
    Nice! Haha you should see our process. From raw materials to final product it's something like 60 days, with dozens of manipulations along the way. It's a manufacturing nightmare, I'm sure we could use your help.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I can imagine someone standing there, kicking inefficiencies to the curb.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I was happy to find reusable plastic screw tops for small-mouth Mason jars at my local grocery store!

I'm happy that the hibiscus I re-potted from my outdoor balcony is doing well on my kitchen windowsill, and blooming!

I feel happy that Thanksgiving will be shared with one of my sons and his girlfriend, and we'll have lots of good food to cook and share, and we can watch football games together, and take naps!

I'm perfectly happy with these little things, because I'm a late boomer living on borrowed time!

I was astonished and impressed with the new Netflix show. Arcane. Pure art and great storytelling.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Had some concerns about a project and it turns out we may end up with more than twice as many cases as we'd pessimistically assumed. Absolutely massive, in this context—I feel like Santa showed up early this year

I asked to have my schedule changed so that I could work two regular weeks followed by two weeks with half-days (half comp-time)—recurring—starting next year, in order to get a more flexible schedule that'd make it easier for me to pick up our daughter from daycare, stay home when she's sick, stay on top of research projects, etc. First they messed it up and gave me two hours off at the end of each day (useless, practically impossible), and then it looked like they wouldn't be able to fix it... but now we've reached a compromise and I'll have every fourth week off as comp-time. Similar advantages wrt family, more useful wrt both research and rest—not to mention prepping for board exam.

Decided to get a Turkish residency permit again. Started the 12th of November. Turned out I had to submit one extra document which necessitated an extra trip to Istanbul. Got the issue sorted out by Monday morning 10 am. Tuesday my permit was approved, today my residency card was mailed to me. As an extra with the residency information I was eligible to get a booster shot today (biontech).

I'm in a pleasant shock.
    Congratulations America

Given the exchange rate right now, can't you buy half of Istanbul?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Given the exchange rate right now, can't you buy half of Istanbul?
    Given the size of Amsterdam apartments, where would he store it?

Spread out between the windmills?

Making me happy. Bought Ghostbusters Clue. Assembled Grayskull castle, pure nostalgia. Got some action figures of League of Legends to decorate (Jinx, Ekko, Caitlyn, Heimerdinger, Vi).
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

FINALLY got my meshlicious case. Just need a 3080ti or the 3080 refresh thats around the corner.

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Nice now tell me about this spectacular monitor is it great or is it crazy

samsung odyssey g9

its absolutely insane. physically its been much easier to adjust to than I was expected. Technically my computer isn't new enough to full advantage of it. I need a new video card to hit that 240hz refresh at 5120 x 1440. But even as is the colors are amazing. Got it onsale during black friday shopping because apparently miniled is a thing now so the last generation of monitors are getting discounted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    samsung odyssey g9

its absolutely insane. physically its been much easier to adjust to than I was expected. Technically my computer isn't new enough to full advantage of it. I need a new video card to hit that 240hz refresh at 5120 x 1440. But even as is the colors are amazing. Got it onsale during black friday shopping because apparently miniled is a thing now so the last generation of monitors are getting discounted out.
    Can I pretend it's also good for productivity or is it very obviously geared towards gaming and media?

Docking windows makes it feel like 2 monitors instead of worrying about smushing your windows to fit side by side so that's a positive.

Two straight nights of over night theme parking in universal studios thanks to my wife's connections with Orlando informer. Wish me luck

We were hanging out by the TV when a video of Humpty Dumpty started playing on Youtube, and my daughter had the a u d a c i t y to tell Humpty he shouldn't climb on stuff. I just gave her a Look and she Looked right back before looking away pretending as if she didn't know what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Docking windows makes it feel like 2 monitors instead of worrying about smushing your windows to fit side by side so that's a positive.
    Mwahaha... we'll see how long I can resist the temptation... I should be able to drive it using the laptop, if it's just for productivity and movies/shows

Gonna check out a house tomorrow... it's 10-15 mins' walk to the hospital, to my wife's office, and to town, and maybe 2 mins to our daughter's daycare. Big-ass house with a big-ass lawn with nice old trees. But it was built almost a hundred years ago and I think there'll be dozens of doctors bidding on it. So it's all a little nerve-wracking but also exciting—these houses are almost never on the market, so this is a huge opportunity.

Come in coughing and sneezing. Might scare off the other doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Come in coughing and sneezing. Might scare off the other doctors.
    I asked about this and he said we'd have the place to ourselves for 20 mins clearly not a novice

Damn those realtors and their clever plans. What about standing in front of the house all day long, coughing at anyone who tries to get inside?

Borrow an obnoxious dog and walk it back and forth all day like you're a rude and loud neighbor.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.