Page 160 of 209 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Congratulations! Out of curiosity and if you don't mind, why were you flying to Indiana every week?
    Testing equipment we build for Cummins diesel engines used in trains.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Testing equipment we build for Cummins diesel engines used in trains.
    Small world. I know one of the engineer leads at Cummins, though I'm doubting he's working on that project.

My uncle was a VP in Cummins Engines, on the accounting/financial side of things. He used to tell me his career "mission" would be accomplished when workers/employees wouldn't need Human Resource departments or financial/banking entities....and his job would become redundant, if he was successful. I didn't understand what he meant then, but I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Small world. I know one of the engineer leads at Cummins, though I'm doubting he's working on that project.
    Yeah, small world. Indiana seems to have 2 industries, corn and Cummins. Do you know Indiana at all?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    My uncle was a VP in Cummins Engines, on the accounting/financial side of things. He used to tell me his career "mission" would be accomplished when workers/employees wouldn't need Human Resource departments or financial/banking entities....and his job would become redundant, if he was successful. I didn't understand what he meant then, but I do now.
    Did he work in Indiana?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Did he work in Indiana?
    Yes, he worked in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan...and sometimes New York, Canada, Mexico and China. He resided in Illinois most of his life, but worked or vacationed in other places, mostly domestic. He died during the Great Recession, or the Great Moderation, or whatever it's called. He was disturbed by 'professional' advisors selling/buying CDOs, and realtors selling mortgages like CCOs.....but he died before we could have a real conversation about these things.

Click to view the full version
    I need a Finn to get this for me
    Your search had no results.

Seriously ?
    Congratulations America

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Into the third week of paternity leave. Spending all my time looking after my family and loving it.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

New furniture arrived today. It all worked out quite well with the bold colours (purple and dark pink).
    Congratulations America

I can't believe I've never seen this before...

Tosh.0 much ?
    Congratulations America

- Sunshine
    - Unexpected day off
    - Sold giant bookshelf, will replace desk
    - Finally opened my Easter egg:

My wife Anneli is the love of my life, but the contents of that egg... that's my first and so far most enduring love *bouncebounce*

*munch munch*

I'm happy when I hear bird sounds, and can (sorta) recognize the bird. I've been putting out all sorts of "kitchen crumbs" as bird food during the winter. There was a family of finches that hid in my rhododendron bushes, and would hop out for treats in frigid weather. I think their next generation is what I'm seeing now, they like Cornflake and Cheerio crumbs, but they're quiet about it. It's hearing the songbirds that makes me happy. They like whatever seeds, nuts or suet I've been putting around. I must be doing something right, and they sing so.

http://thegavoice.com/ga-gop-senate-...riage-lawsuit/

Wow, I'm impressed. This does, of course, not bode well for his chances of getting the Republican nomination for Saxby Chambliss's seat, but I do like to see a reasonable candidate.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Some of the other guys sound grand from their description.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Oh, they are, Flixy.

Hehe I'm currently happy because my daughter dragged out my old hard-copy of AoE3 and she's having a blast playing it.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Finally figured out a solution for one particular movie problem. I currently have this setup where my Samsung Smart TV plays movies through the Plex TV app. Movies reside on a Synology NAS with the Plex Media Server running.

I then rip my BluRays onto the NAS as MKV. Works great for 98% of all movies.

But for some, the Plex TV app has problems playing them - the audio becomes seriously out of sync after some minutes. I tried everything: Different video encoding process (1-pass, 2-pass, ...), different codecs (AC3, DTS or simply passthrough), different containers (MP4, MKV, even WMV...)

But, no, audio would become and remain out of sync.

So I tried accessing the movie not through the Plex app but through the TV's own movie app (since Plex Server also does DLNA).

And it works. No sync issues anymore, language selection works, hell, even 3D is usable (though I have to activate that manually).
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Figured out how to combine reward points that are spread across multiple cards into a single Amazon purchase. gift cards! Amazon lets you send egift cards of any amount, which is a super nice way to pay for an order from multiple sources. Since today is the last day I can order from Amazon without them collecting the sales tax I went and combined all my rewards and ended up with enough to get the collectors edition of the D3 expansion.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Making pretzels at home. Hot-dogs wrapped in pretzel dough is especially fun.

Dear happy thread,

this has been a Good Week. Though I'm in one of those phases where I hate being on call, and though I haven't been getting enough sleep and though my wards have been packed ie. with no real room for new admissions, it's been Fun! Interesting and challenging diagnoses, my favourite attendings, fun colleagues and everyone in a good mood... and I've been able to rely both on my intuition and my knowledge/experience to do the Right Things. It's one of those "I'm a Good Doctor" weeks.

But more importantly, it's been a week full of love and friendship! And a great deal of luxury. For our anniversary I had the day off, we checked into a nice hotel and had an amazing dinner (at a restaurant I had decided to hate but couldn't 'cause it was just so delicious) and just a really nice time to ourselves. The next morning I had one of the best hotel-breakfasts ever. It was a bit of a staycation I guess yesterday, I spent the whole day resting and reading nice things and then shopping for running stuff (including a pair of those Vibram Five-Finger "barefoot" shoes that I've been wanting to try out and that really feel pretty damn' good!) and various little things we need to fix up the apartment a little. This was followed by a stroll around town with my missus and finally a delicious dinner of various little mouthgasm-inducing munchies and cocktails at another nice newly-opened restaurant. Got home early and just collapsed and bam suddenly it was early morning and I was well-rested for once. God, SLEEP. It's the best and most important thing in life next to love.

Today we're having guests over for the first time in like a million years. The kitchen is still not fully functional, esp. the stove, but i think we can manage some elk taco kinda thing. I have the whole weekend off to recuperate, enjoy good company and get things done. And it's spring. Really really cold and windy spring but whatever, the sun comes up at like 4 and my head no longer feels heavy

Motorola pushed out Android 4.4.2 to my Droid Razr Maxx HD this morning. The phone was previously on 4.1.2, so it was surprising to get a jump from Jelly Bean to the latest version of Kit Kat. I like it so far.

Not going to be an unemployed bum next year.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Not going to be an unemployed bum next year.
    Congrats! Where will you be?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Congrats! Where will you be?
    It's a one-year position, but with a proper salary and teaching load this time around. Still in the land of corn. Back to applying for jobs in 3 months.

But since it's a proper position this time around, the insurance costs will plummet. The great state of Illinois created an inverse relationship between classes taught and price of insurance. Since I was teaching "half-time" this year, it meant that I was literally paying half of my paycheck for insurance.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Yeah, this year-to-year jobbing is one of the reasons why I never considered staying at the university. But congratulations for making it, Loki!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It's a one-year position, but with a proper salary and teaching load this time around. Still in the land of corn. Back to applying for jobs in 3 months.

But since it's a proper position this time around, the insurance costs will plummet. The great state of Illinois created an inverse relationship between classes taught and price of insurance. Since I was teaching "half-time" this year, it meant that I was literally paying half of my paycheck for insurance.
    Congrats on getting a full-time job for a full year! And I'm happy you're a beneficiary of the ACA.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Yeah, this year-to-year jobbing is one of the reasons why I never considered staying at the university. But congratulations for making it, Loki!
    Even 5 years ago, a vast majority of people at my program got tenure track jobs right after finishing. The market hasn't recovered since 2008 unfortunately. Instead, the number of people looking for a job keeps on increasing, while the number of new tenure-track jobs stagnates. With the rise of online classes and adjuncts, I'm not sure I'd advise anyone to start a grad program today with the view of getting an academic job.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Congrats on getting a full-time job for a full year! And I'm happy you're a beneficiary of the ACA.
    I'm not affected by Obamacare, though apparently a bunch of adjuncts are (i.e. colleges will have no choice but to either offer them insurance or stop employing so many).