Page 191 of 209 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,730 of 6241

Thread: What is making you happy right now

I'll be able to dig in the dirt and grow things after all! My sous chef son got me a gig at his restaurant, planting and harvesting veggies and herbs. They'd built raised beds several years ago down by the riverbank parking lot, but over time they were neglected, and languished. They had a few tomato plants last year, but it was too time consuming for them to do much else.

I planted zucchini and several types of squash, but mostly herbs. Flat and curly parsley, German and lemon thyme, rosemary, sweet basil, dillweed, sage, tarragon, regular and garlic chive. I had a list of other things, but they either weren't part of their culinary style, or are so readily available and cheap from vendors that it didn't make sense.

But I may have convinced them on a few sunflowers (for their seeds in fall) and some lavender (for sorbets). Plus some wild flowers for their tabletop vases, since they'd been buying crap carnations from the grocery store (!) Might even do some fancy container arrangements for their pathway, entrance, and hostess table.

So excited!

Since we've not got a Football thread this year ... Champions League Final.

YNWA, come on Liverpool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Since we've not got a Football thread this year ... Champions League Final.

YNWA, come on Liverpool!
    Too bad they got screwed by their own goalie
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Loss of Salah seems to have changed the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I may have convinced my apartment complex to keep the pool open until 9pm, with paid lifeguards!

I was SO HAPPY to swim laps after getting hot and sweaty earlier today. And after listening to my friend's beefs about her condo HOA (they're actually fighting about who changes light bulbs in street lamps), I'm pretty happy to be a renter.

Hehe, I just saw some ancient news item about a visit of MLK to the Netherlands. And then I noticed that he had been attending a conference a good 100 meters from the house where I lived the first 11 years of my life.
    Congratulations America

The absolute thrashing that Forbes writer is taking for suggesting that replacing public libraries with amazon stores would be cost effective and beneficial to everyone.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Immensely satisfying. Save us from these fucking galaxy-brains.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post

I'm on call this week so I work every other night and am free all day or at least until 3PM. The weather is absolutely wonderful so I've been sitting in the sun getting a head start on six weeks of vacation reading. Just two more nights I know people elsewhere in Sweden are praying for rain, but I hope this town stays sunny for a while longer.

I got my job back...but only after the restaurant owner (who wanted to tend the culinary gardens, to save on employee payroll costs, but did jack shit) killed several crops. So stupid. But I feel happy to revive and rejuvenate things, bringing life back to neglected green-goods. I cut off all the dead stuff, to lessen their burden, and talk and sing along the way, which helps us both.

It's not scientific, but the kitchen staff noticed the difference. Culinary gardens just do better with someone who cares.

"When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I got my job back...but only after the restaurant owner (who wanted to tend the culinary gardens, to save on employee payroll costs, but did jack shit) killed several crops. So stupid. But I feel happy to revive and rejuvenate things, bringing life back to neglected green-goods. I cut off all the dead stuff, to lessen their burden, and talk and sing along the way, which helps us both.

It's not scientific, but the kitchen staff noticed the difference. Culinary gardens just do better with someone who cares.
    Congratulations GGT! I'm glad to hear you got your job back, and vindication to boot.

1. After two and a half decades, I have finally been told of the secret ingredient in my mum's most popular cookies and the secret to her most loved soup. I never even knew there were any secrets, as cunning as my mum is. In all this time, I had never even seen these ingredients in the kitchen! Absolutely incredible. She told me I was ultimately responsible for the creation of the cookies, and it was fun learning about her path of discovery, from not baking at all to being a highly proficient baker. I remember those early days quite vaguely because there was so much else on my mind at the time.

2. We're currently on our way to Tallinn, on a ship. I haven't been one of these things for nearly two decades, despite loving the idea. I remember how excited I was when we were going to Helsinki, and how sad I was when a couple of racists prevented us from disembarking. The ship is lovely and being here is bringing back a lot of memories. Last time, we were in the lowest cabin class, but I had the good fortune of being able to book the second-best cabin class for this trip at an absurd discount. I like this place even though everything is expensive. People feel free to just roam around looking like regular folks here, in a way you don't really see in sthlm. It's a wonderful feeling, like being in a quiet IKEA. It's fun seeing the Swedish east coast and the sthlm archipelago like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

For sure... and there's a lot of skill & knowledge involved that just isn't obvious to people who don't care and haven't had much experience. Glad to hear you're back and whipping things back into shape

I've always wanted to go to the Baltics. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive from over here. One day.

I'm also assuming the secret ingredient was heroin.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Code enforcement came through and collected all the illegally placed political signs. We had A LOT since we are a polling location. People are pissed, coming in all hot about what we did with all the signs they placed for their candidate. Watching their expressions change after we give them the number to code enforcement to collect their signs and inform them about possible fines... its way more enjoyable than I was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I've always wanted to go to the Baltics. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive from over here. One day.

I'm also assuming the secret ingredient was heroin.
    It was not... it was much, much worse. I was honestly shocked

You should def. treat yourself to a trip to Tallinn at least, if you ever spend any time in Sthlm or Helsinki.

We extended our vacation in sthlm by a few days at the last minute, because we were having so much fun. Made some major chancges to my mum's kitchen, and it turned out really well. I discovered that I really enjoy building IKEA things with the ginger alas, it had to come to an end. I'm not back in the north but have fortunately been given a chance to really ease back into work b/c my new rotation starts with a pretty chill week-long course where I already know enough to be able to take it a little easy.

This week, the ginger has been off elk-hunting, and yesterday she shot a 300kg+ monster so there's elk-tongue and smoked elk-heart in my future I'm hard at work trying to empty the freezer of venison. By a stroke of luck, she also managed to find a nice car, so now we own an ancient Toyota avensis and I can no longer postpone getting my driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Toyota avensis
    For us US folk, it's a bloated tC.

You're a bloated tC

It looks pretty trim and agile though

Had a seminar today on EU law, turns out the organizer had managed to get two justices from the highest administrative court for this seminar. I will admit it was a bit intimidating at first. I was quite happy that I could ask a question which was both 'intelligent and with no easy answer'.
    Congratulations America

My mum is touring Little England Last week she mentioned that she'd like to visit a friend of hers who's visiting England and I managed to sort it out even though it was on short notice. She's been to Kent and Wokingham, and has just arrived in Manchester. Because she was enjoying herself so much we postponed her flight so that she could spend some more time having fun with her friend. She says it has been extremely relaxing, that she's slept like a baby every night, and that these smaller places have been more pleasant to visit than London. I'm just really glad she actually asked b/c we've been trying to get her to understand that now it's time for her to do things for the sake of her own enjoyment and that we can help with whatever she needs as long as she lets us know.

For my part, I've discovered that my new rotation is precisely as relaxing and as interesting as I imagined it would be. I have plenty of time to read, but I'm also getting a good deal of training w/ methods that have been relevant to my work for years but that I've never really developed an intuitive understanding of. This specialty is closely related to my own and I've been considering combining the two, so this will be a good opportunity to get a feel for both the field and the clinic. Seeing their approach to hypothesis-testing & making sense of very noisy data has already been extremely helpful.

Of course, I am a lazy person so this week and especially this weekend I've spent a great deal of my time just reading for pleasure, watching shows with the ginger etc. 22kg of elk meat in the freezer. I've made a giant pot of stock and rendered a surprising amount of fat that I'm not really sure I want to use yet. All in all, QoL rating A+.

Autumn's approach. Canadian Geese migrating, flying by my balcony, honking all the way. Subtle changes in foliage. Later sunrises, earlier sunsets, prettier moonscapes. Sleeping a little bit more, naturally. Relaxing, exhaling, letting go of summer's constant expectations. Putting gardens to bed. Looking forward to winter's dark freeze, and the anticipation of snow. (And I won't have to shovel any of it!)

I usually don't like autumn but it has been quite spectacular this year. All the wonderful colors, none of the foul weather, and extremely relaxing. I took a couple of days off to visit my mum and do some reading. The ginger's joining me on Friday so this will be a very pleasant weekend. Many more opportunities to visit this year and next spring, which is nice.

On top of this, I have gotten so much free sushi from one of my favorite places that I can consider half my travel costs paid for.

haha at Andrew Ender

My job as caretaker of restaurant culinary gardens is winding down for the season. I'm trying to view this as a positive thing (not messing with my groove) as I look for other, similar work. I found a part-time temporary position making holiday gift baskets that's kinda similar, it's at least using plant material in creative ways, but it's super limited in time and scope. But I'd be happy if they hire me.

Netherlands beat France yesterday, which relegated Germany from the nations league division A

And if Netherlands gets a draw or better against Germany on Monday they'll win the group. I think everyone expected them to end last in a group with the two most recent world cup winners.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Saw Florence + the Machine last night. Stunningly good gig
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Saw Florence + the Machine last night. Stunningly good gig
    Good tunes from Florence. Lively stuff and I can imagine she's great on stage - a performer.

But my god have you ever heard her speak or be interviewed? The exact opposite of her music - utterly dull and uninspiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Good tunes from Florence. Lively stuff and I can imagine she's great on stage - a performer.
    Yes, very polished and works hard to engage with the audience (probably beyond what her personal security staff are comforatble with).

But my god have you ever heard her speak or be interviewed? The exact opposite of her music - utterly dull and uninspiring.
    I actually haven't, apart from what she said between songs. I like her music, being an engaging speaker would be a bonus.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame