Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: site redirect

  1. #1

    Default site redirect

    Over the last few days, the first time I try to reach the site in any particular browser session, I get a redirect to a blank white page. Any suggestions on what's going on and how I or you can make it stop?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  2. #2
    maybe related, but a couple of times over the last few weeks I'll attempt to hit up the activity page only to have it jump over to a 404 after it loads.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  3. #3
    I already said in the maintenance thread that I get redirected to "http://theworldforgotten.com/profile.php?do=dst" to first time I hit the page in a new browser session. Nobody cared back then but it's still annoying.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

  4. #4
    There was an expected one-time issue with this, but if it's happening repeatedly that's unexpected. I'll look into it, and I have a pretty easy temp fix if I can't figure out a correct fix.

  5. #5
    Earthjoker & Fuzzball: are either of you navigating to this site using bookmarks?

  6. #6
    I've had it happen a few times from my bookmark, too, wraithy.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Earthjoker & Fuzzball: are either of you navigating to this site using bookmarks?
    I usually do yes. After the first two times I made a fresh bookmark and it didn't make a difference. I also just did a test with a fresh browser session and the link from a google search and it still happened.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  8. #8
    Not bookmarks, but browser auto-complete which can result in old URLs.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

  9. #9
    Not sure I actually accomplished anything, and I couldn't repro it locally. Tell me if it still repros.

    If it's not too much trouble and it still repros, let me know what your bookmarks/autocomplete are set to before you get redirected to the blank page. Also, you may want to clear your cache for this site - it's possible that the reason it's still going on is because your browser is stubbornly refusing to abandon outdated cache data.

  10. #10
    Works for me, will try it in different browsers.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Not sure I actually accomplished anything, and I couldn't repro it locally. Tell me if it still repros.

    If it's not too much trouble and it still repros, let me know what your bookmarks/autocomplete are set to before you get redirected to the blank page. Also, you may want to clear your cache for this site - it's possible that the reason it's still going on is because your browser is stubbornly refusing to abandon outdated cache data.
    Still happening for me even after I cleared the cache but I did discover a difference. It happens when I try to come directly to the forums (theworldforgotten.com/forums.php) which is what I've always done and what my bookmarks were always set to, but does not happen if I just go to (theworldforgotten.com) and the activity stream first, and then navigate to the forums.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  12. #12
    Works now on firefox as well after a cookie and history clear. I still got that same redirect after my first login.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Still happening for me even after I cleared the cache but I did discover a difference. It happens when I try to come directly to the forums (theworldforgotten.com/forums.php) which is what I've always done and what my bookmarks were always set to, but does not happen if I just go to (theworldforgotten.com) and the activity stream first, and then navigate to the forums.
    That might be it. I'll set up a redirect when I get home, but it's "theworldforgotten.com/forum.php". No s in forum.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    That might be it. I'll set up a redirect when I get home, but it's "theworldforgotten.com/forum.php". No s in forum.
    I know. That was just my fingers duplicating the earlier plural without thought.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  15. #15
    The joy was good as long as it lasted, I get redirected again
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

  16. #16
    Wild shot: try changing your bookmarks to www.theworldforgotten.com/forum.php (with the www)

  17. #17
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

  18. #18
    I'm having no problems *touch wood* on Firefox with the bookmarked URL of http://theworldforgotten.com/forum.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  19. #19
    I've been having the redirect with and without the www.

  20. #20
    I haven't had an issue since your fix Thursday so something went right.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  21. #21
    I often get an "invalid redirect" error when I try to log in. It seems like it can't tries and fails to redirect to www.theworldforgotten.com/forumdisplay.php
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  22. #22
    That's interesting - that's the display for a specific forum, but it's missing the forum id argument. I'm at work right now, but I'll see if I can find anything a bit later.

  23. #23
    My post was aborted while typing. That hasn't happened for a while, so whatever you "did" for a fix maybe caused some other glitches?

  24. #24
    Not sure what exactly happened, but when I first tried to access the forum this morning, it redirected me to http://theworldforgotten.com/profile.php?do=dst. Looks like some wonky thing to do with the time change, just not sure why it redirected to a blank page at that URL from trying to go to the forum homepage.

  25. #25
    This has been occurring again for the last couple of days.

  26. #26
    I'll see if I can remember how to fix it. Is it still trying to send you to the profile page?

  27. #27
    Plainly the forum code doesn't like the month of March.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  28. #28
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    5,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'll see if I can remember how to fix it. Is it still trying to send you to the profile page?
    Blank page.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  29. #29
    What's the address, though? Or is it literally the blank page (about:blank)?

  30. #30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •