Thread: Temperature Behind Fridge

Default Temperature Behind Fridge

In the vein of threads about domestic appliances: I've been thinking about my fridge. My fridge was built into something of a cabinet, with shelves over it but open space on the side. It seems to often be working hard to keep cool, so I pulled it an extra inch back from the wall.

After coming into possession of a stray thermometer, I mounted it on the top of the fridge with the probe hanging-over the back to measure the temp around the radiator. The temp seems to be around 80F (20C) but when the motor is running the temp goes up to 93F (33.8C). The ambient temp in the kitchen tends to be 67F- 74F (19C - 23C) though it can get warmer in the summer or when cooking.

Part of me thinks this is okay, the radiators are doing their job. Another part of me thinks the cabinet above the fridge is a problem, but wondering if moving the fridge two inches from the wall (with an open side) is enough to mitigate the issue.

Still another part of me wonders if the radiators should be flush with the wall and let the concrete/plaster absorb the heat (it must conduct better than air, right?).

Anyone ever have a fridge in a tight corner?

The more air across the coils the better. 3" rule is worthy if you have the space. 3" clearande above, sides, back, bottom offers the best perfomance. Most important though is to make sure that the enclosed space does not contain an HVAC register.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I think (might be wrong) that while air isn't a good heat conductor, it does flow which should be better for cooling. My fridge at least came with instructions to keep it separated from the wall like being says.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Rule of thumb is to place a standard clay brick against the wall behind the fridge. This gives you the space the air needs to circulate, stops the fridge from slowly shifting back, protects the socket, radiator fins, and any piping that may connect to the fridge.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I think (might be wrong) that while air isn't a good heat conductor, it does flow which should be better for cooling. My fridge at least came with instructions to keep it separated from the wall like being says.
    You are not wrong. As an engineer working with electronics I can tell you that we face the very same problem inside of cabinets. The right solution is good air circulation. That means a good gap behind the fridge and above and below.

33°C just behind the fridge sounds totally OK to me. Just remember there must be some temperature difference before the chimney effect can start to put the air into circulation.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Have you de-iced the fridge and does the door shut properly? Is there anything about the sound that suggests something has come loose eg due to violent drawer-closing?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Well, I cleared the stuff on top of the fridge and moved it another half-inch from the wall (now it's about two inches). A few degrees cooler when the motor is running or idle. Unless we're cooking and opening it repeatedly.

I think it may be a good idea to clear some dust behind, no? Damn the whole concept of a refridgerator nook is a stupid idea...

Free-standing appliances need air circulation for their motors to vent properly. It's stated clearly in their product literature. You can't have a fridge that "looks" like a built-in appliance just by squeezing it between cabinets or walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Have you de-iced the fridge and does the door shut properly? Is there anything about the sound that suggests something has come loose eg due to violent drawer-closing?
    Most modern US refrigerator/freezer units don't need to be "de-iced" (or de-frosted). The ones that do are used in college dorms, small apartments, cabins, or boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I think it may be a good idea to clear some dust behind, no? Damn the whole concept of a refridgerator nook is a stupid idea...
    You just need a proper designed fridge, or cabinet.

You're right, it's just just the ideal fridge for that kind of corner. But the appliance was new when I got the place and I'm loathe to spend on a new one if I can just make a few incremental improvements to the ventilation.

On the front of more crazy/probably-not-worth-it ideas, what if I tied small steel wires to the cooling fins to fill that 2-inch gap I opened up? No coolant is flowing in them, but I suppose it would help a bit...

I honestly think you make too much of a worry about it. 33°C is nothing.

Dread, just vacuum all edges weekly....paying special attention to the bottom and back (where fans and vents are located). Consider adding a smaller refrigerator unit (for beverages and wines *or juice boxes and yogurt cups*) before you replace your newish fridge/freezer. They don't need much space, or a dedicated water inlet for making ice cubes, just an electric outlet. If you want to pay the premium, they're available as drawer units.
    Last edited by GGT; 03-24-2014 at 07:05 AM. Reason: *