View Poll Results: Is Daylight Savings Time still relevant?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 16.67%
  • No

4 66.67%
  • Maybe

0 0%
  • No clue/don't give a shit

1 16.67%

Thread: Daylight Savings Time

Default Daylight Savings Time

Is this something worth keeping...or is it an outdated relic?

I don't think it's any more outdated than it ever was. I personally like it -- double-down on the after-work sunlight as much as possible.

I like falling back. I do not like springing forward. Starting with this one, I think I'll only honor the falling back part. Free country, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I don't think it's any more outdated than it ever was. I personally like it -- double-down on the after-work sunlight as much as possible.
    DST was originally meant to help farmers/agriculture adjust their commerce to solstices. Since when does your work (and play) depend on daylight...more than Time Zones, or electricity?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    DST was originally meant to help farmers/agriculture adjust their commerce to solstices. Since when does your work (and play) depend on daylight...more than Time Zones, or electricity?
    It saves electricity, that's why.
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyMilk View Post
    It saves electricity, that's why.
    How do you figure? We already live in a world where a majority of "work" is done indoors, using electricity, and a 24/hour global business cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    How do you figure? We already live in a world where a majority of "work" is done indoors, using electricity, and a 24/hour global business cycle.
    Because you're syncing the time so that the higher demand parts of the day - Morning pickup and mid-evening, are more closely matched to daylight hours. In the UK, electricity prices are broken down into 48 separate half hours. The time between 17:00 and 19:00 normally has the highest demand of the day as people are getting home from work, turning on electrical items, cooking, etc. If it's darker later, and the lights stay off for longer, and it's warmer later, and the heating is off until later, or completely -electrical demand is reduced, price spikes less likely.

It may well have originally been done because of farmers and what have you, but that's clearly not the case now.
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

I see what you mean....but people are still using electricity at work for office lights, computers, heating/cooling, etc. regardless of what the sun (or weather) is doing, and it's not like office buildings turn everything off after 5pm. US utilities charge higher prices during peak-time AM/PM use, too - not sure if it's done in half hour increments like UK. When everyone showers or turns up heat/A/C at the same time, that stresses the grids and causes brown-outs. So it's not just to reduce electric-use, but stagger the times people use it heavily.

Plus, states don't have to participate in DST....which makes it weird when states are in the same time zone, but don't change their clocks in unison.

It's nothing but an annoying load of codswallop