In the vein of threads about domestic appliances: I've been thinking about my fridge. My fridge was built into something of a cabinet, with shelves over it but open space on the side. It seems to often be working hard to keep cool, so I pulled it an extra inch back from the wall.

After coming into possession of a stray thermometer, I mounted it on the top of the fridge with the probe hanging-over the back to measure the temp around the radiator. The temp seems to be around 80F (20C) but when the motor is running the temp goes up to 93F (33.8C). The ambient temp in the kitchen tends to be 67F- 74F (19C - 23C) though it can get warmer in the summer or when cooking.

Part of me thinks this is okay, the radiators are doing their job. Another part of me thinks the cabinet above the fridge is a problem, but wondering if moving the fridge two inches from the wall (with an open side) is enough to mitigate the issue.

Still another part of me wonders if the radiators should be flush with the wall and let the concrete/plaster absorb the heat (it must conduct better than air, right?).

Anyone ever have a fridge in a tight corner?