Thread: "The system cannot find the file specified" when I click on the .exe file

Default "The system cannot find the file specified" when I click on the .exe file

Hope someone can help. I'm on a strict deadline to run Payroll to ensure everyone gets paid and there was a Year End software update for the program I use at work to do so (Sage 50 Payroll) as this week is the end of the tax year. After running the software update the system needed restarting and once I did the shortcut on the Start Menu (Win 7) was giving an error of "The system cannot find the file specified" like when software is uninstalled without removing the shortcut. So I browsed Windows to the right folder and found the relevant executable - it is there. Double clicked on the executable and got the same error message.

I've never seen this error message for a file that does exist, only ever when a file doesn't exist. I'm assuming the file has perhaps somehow gotten corrupt and I have telephone support with Sage but that's closed until tomorrow now and tomorrow's my deadline in order to ensure there's no risk of people getting paid late. In case its somehow a problem with my system - has anyone ever seen this error before on a file that DOES exist and can it be resolved?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Can you do a full reinstall? It might be trying to access a missing or mispathed .dll or something.

OK I suspect either of two problems.

First case, the file missing is not the one you are executing, but a file needed by the exe. Like a dll or something like that.

Second case, the file is there but you don't have rights to execute it. You may check the acessibility under Peferences->Security and then check if your user has right to "read, execute" the file.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

right click on the shortcut and view the shortcut target. make sure its pointing to the exact file and location you are browsing to in your explorer window. Also, are their any riders listed after the location path?
    tell your explorer window to display a detail listing. right click inside the window, select view, select detail. make sure the item you are trying to open is listed as an application.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-25-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Uninstall and reinstall from scratch or check permissions like wraith said. Also make sure the moon is full and Jupiter is in Aquarius because sometimes with these things you just don't know
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Thanks guys, a reinstall of the software update got it all working. I called the telephone support and they said they've had a number of people have had problems which seem to be getting caused by a file getting quarantined by anti-virus software so could I disable that (got McAfee on the work PC) during the install process. Almost concerning, but personally I f***ing hate McAfee at the best of times and if it wasn't for it being a work PC on a work network it'd be the first thing uninstalled off the machine.

Though McAfee had no files flagged as quarantined so I'm just suspecting the install software is simply glitchy but working on the second go around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Yeah, sometimes people insist on rolling their own installation / deinstallation routines and promptly botch the job.

Myst 2 - if you installed that in the root folder of your drive and then ran the uninstallation routine, it would wipe your drive. Pools of Radiance 2 did that as well (only it would randomly delete the Windows installation).
    EvE Online - one update would delete the boot.ini file, preventing you from booting Windows
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?