Thread: Political Compass 2014

Default Political Compass 2014

You know the drill...

http://politicalcompass.org/test

My personal take is the questions are similarly aligned with past questions and yet the questions are different in that they seem to be more direct.

My score

Crap, forgot to copy and paste the numbers for Khen. Looks like -3.4 on the authoritarian/libertarian and -3.9 on the left/right .
    Last edited by Being; 04-09-2014 at 05:59 AM.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Economic Left/Right: -1.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62

Not that many economical questions, are there? What about labor laws? Not even one question.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    http://politicalcompass.org/facebook...3.88&soc=-3.49

Crap, forgot to copy and paste the numbers for Khen. Looks like -3.4 on the authoritarian/libertarian and -3.9 on the left/right .
    The numbers are in the URL

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

So -1.00 Left, -4.15 Libertarian. Not too dissimilar from last time. As always, I take issue with some of their questions. In particular I hate that "single-party" one because the premise itself is factually inaccurate. One-party systems do not have significantly less division than two-party or multi-party systems, it's just that the debating and wrangling takes place in less transparent venues.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

cant post an image for some reason but i got exactly the same as F. Hollande quite embarassing

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Will do a nice Excel tomorrow.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Got to the first question on the list and it annoyed me, so didn't continue:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

Economic globalisation wouldn't serve either, specifically.
    Or would serve both to a greater or lesser degree.
    Or by serving one it serves the other.

It's too broad a concept and I struggle with the imperative being asked for.

Too simplistic a question.

I call meh.

Most of the questions are like that, Tim. Generally why I avoid answering.

Political compass is a pile of shit.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I'm Milton Friedman or something.

Economic Left/Right: 3.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Got to the first question on the list and it annoyed me, so didn't continue:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

Economic globalisation wouldn't serve either, specifically.
    Or would serve both to a greater or lesser degree.
    Or by serving one it serves the other.

It's too broad a concept and I struggle with the imperative being asked for.

Too simplistic a question.

I call meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Most of the questions are like that, Tim. Generally why I avoid answering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Since we all answer the same questions does it matter. Seems it has historically placed us in correct order with each other. What's the harm other than taxing your little brains with stuff you find simplistic or too broad or meh?
    Last edited by Being; 04-10-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I'm Milton Friedman or something.

Economic Left/Right: 3.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72
    I'd like to see the Atari archives from like 2003. I believe you were like -3/-3 in those days.

Khen, you been saving your spreadsheets ???

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Since we all answer the same questions does it matter. Seems it has historically placed us in correct order with each other. What's the harm other than taxing your little brains with stuff you find simplistic or too broad or meh?
    The point is that the imperative being asked for in the question is unanswerable in the bi-polar dimensions specified.

Something like 'economic globalisation' has an entire spectrum of ramifications which affect multiple streams of our lives; socially, economically, politically, geographically and environmentally. Dozens of dimensions which are affected to different degrees dependent on the extent of global reach considered.

So just considering two of those dimensions and placing them in the context of a simple see-saw (one goes up, therefore the other goes down) is more than just too narrow and simplistic, it is misleadingly innaccurate.

This question as phrased in the survey therefore cannot be answered to any meaningful degree. And would certainly not be reflective of any of my beliefs or leanings. It would be a throwaway answer. A random toss of a coin.

Therefore I'm not playing. Tossing a coin is more fun.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 04-10-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Economic Left/Right: -4.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

Heil Gandhi
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Thank you to the remaining participants. I'm having a difficult time adjusting to attitude changes on the board. It's fun...right? Don't take the questions so seriously.

Economic Left/Right: 4.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13
    Hope is the denial of reality

Looks like there are no authoritarians on this board
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    So are surveys/polls.

I'm quite curious what this question has to do with Right/Left and Libertarian/Authoritarian.

"Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races."

Really?

Or...

"Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all."

What? If you are asking should a law be made restricting what can be defined as art that would have relevance. Your thoughts on art are not political positions.

Anyway Economic Right/Left is 4.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian is -.15

I'm guessing they try to get at authoritarian views; not that they do it very well.

The race-related ones are sketchier but that art one is just very America-centered, referencing several political funding debates that arose last decade and during the 90s and which easily lent themselves to being cast in y-axis terms. Those had two separate authoritarian/libertarian components which were pulling in reversed directions but the question above only references one of them, who decides what is art.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Whether it's art or not is separate from whether it should get funding of course. Plus.. Doesn't represent anything is, like art in general, extremely subjective. I'd say most artists would say their work represents something, if only a feeling, statement, whatever.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I guess they're trying to see if you think something has to meet your criteria before you recognize it or if you're ok with it meeting other people's criteria. Like I said, it vaguely captures authoritarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Looks like there are no authoritarians on this board

Though I would argue many of the questions that put you into the left-wing side of the economic axis should put you more into the authoritarian court.

I miss that guy Mishka who was clearly some kind of anti-establishment anti-semite holed-up in the hills somewhere.

Too good to participate is pretty high brow. Congrat's to those who fail to realize they are insignificant.

Maybe we can go to Stormfront and get an authoritarian?