Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The World Forgotten: A Quarterly Review

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    We both know that you're capable of contributing - you've done so in the past. You choose not do it recently, and there's no reason why you can't change that.

There's plenty of reasons. You are one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    It has nothing at all to do with your intelligence. You and I quickly start just jabbing at each other, making more of that pointless, self-destructive noise you were just griping about. Well, and there was that one time I found the nihilism you were spouting so depressing that it was bringing me down, but that was a temp ignore. That sort of response, which you don't like, IS the only available solution *or band-aid, as the case may be* to the problem you raised.
    We lead such different lives that while I think we could potentially have a good exchange of ideas, we do wind up doing as you say. And despite my nihilism I'd like to think there were other alternatives than the admission of defeat via the ignore list.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Then use Fuzzy's solution and put me on ignore. Problem solved.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Then use Fuzzy's solution and put me on ignore. Problem solved.
    It's not a solution, it is ignoring.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

It is a solution - you won't have to read my posts...

It is a solution - you won't have to read my posts...
    The naive counter is your own posting; obviously I bother you on occasion, but you haven't ignored me. Yet.

But you're the one who says that you can't make serious posts because of me...I have no reason to ignore you as your posts don't really bother me.

But you're the one who says that you can't make serious posts because of me...I have no reason to ignore you as your posts don't really bother me.
    Yet you make posts to the contrary. Or am I really, in your honest opinion, the "most closed-minded and judgmental" poster? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Yet you make posts to the contrary. Or am I really, in your honest opinion, the "most closed-minded and judgmental" poster? Really?
    The close-minded part was an exaggeration. For judgmental, I can honestly think of only 1-2 regular users who are worse (or maybe the other judgmental users just don't make their judgments public). Either way, I don't see why your traits should keep me from making serious posts.

The close-minded part was an exaggeration. For judgmental, I can honestly think of only 1-2 regular users who are worse (or maybe the other judgmental users just don't make their judgments public). Either way, I don't see why your traits should keep me from making serious posts.
    Because you have a Jovian ego. I do not.

I do hope you are counting yourself as the most judgmental user.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I do hope you are counting yourself as the most judgmental user.
    Feel free to believe that. The only posters here I've "judged" are the ones that Nessus would call idiots or trolls. I don't recall making dozens of posts calling other people morally inferior for their beliefs.

Feel free to believe that. The only posters here I've "judged" are the ones that Nessus would call idiots or trolls. I don't recall making dozens of posts calling other people morally inferior for their beliefs.
    Isn't that what morality is?

Isn't that what morality is?
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't consider you any more or less moral than I. And the only people I would make any moral judgments about are the likes of the Taliban and Yemenites who marry 7-year-olds.

Aren't you judging Nessie right now, though?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Aren't you judging Nessie right now, though?
    Only as far as saying that student X has higher grades than student Y is judging student Y.

Only as far as saying that student X has higher grades than student Y is judging student Y.
    Bitte? I have less points than you? On whose scale?

Bitte? I have less points than you? On whose scale?
    My point was that saying you were judgmental isn't really judging you. No more than saying bigots are bad is a form of bigotry anyway.

I'd just like to weigh in and say that if people kept themselves from doing things or contributing things simply because people were going to say stupid shit about what they were doing or contributing, or would crap them up, no one would ever contribute anything. This isn't just for this forum, but for anything anyone does in general.
    . . .

In terms of activity and content, I think we're actually where things were at Atari. But as always, I say just make threads about stuff that interests you or is relevant to your life. Nessus, you have a fine mind -- why can't you provoke discussions with an original post, instead of dropping in with commentary (this thread excluded)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    In terms of activity and content, I think we're actually where things were at Atari. But as always, I say just make threads about stuff that interests you or is relevant to your life. Nessus, you have a fine mind -- why can't you provoke discussions with an original post, instead of dropping in with commentary (this thread excluded)?
    Didn't you hear the news, the bell has been rung, I'm a tool

In all seriousNess, my interests are limited and my views too foreign to invite discourse

We've only been active for a sixth, not a quarter, but fuck you.

This site is currently: Utter shit.

I'm certainly not the only one who has noted the destructive role played by Being...
    My ratio of on topic and focused posts to shit-posts is much higher than your's.

Take a hike
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

In all seriousNess, my interests are limited and my views too foreign to invite discourse
    This is TWF, basically nothing is too foreign. There is no corporate presence telling me that a particular subject is taboo anymore. Don't post an image that's NSFW (or at least use spoilers), but have a blast and post something you think it really out there.

You like science right? And you obviously have a taste for comics, and literature, seems enough from my perspective, and besides that you're amongst friends...even if we argue with you or you think we're annoying...
    . . .

well, from my view, we got mre members registering, and the forum being what ACC was originally supposed to be.

I'll never understand why tools get such a bad rep. They were vital to our demonkeyfestation.
    Don't foreign views invite discussion?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Nessie is certainly not alone in her appraisal of the D&D forum as a tip. It started out well, but it's shit right now. I'm unsure whether or not this is a symptom of certain posters constantly cluttering it with rubbish, or if there is a deeper malaise.

I suspect we need more quality traffic.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

This site is currently: Utter shit.
    ...and yet you return, day after day.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

1. who are these certain posters?

2. stop being such a sissy Ness, even I understand that when you put your science big pants on that you talk about things you actually know and understand. And if you can't stop feeling bad about being here, take a break and don't come here for a while.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    ...and yet you return, day after day.
    We have plenty of intelligent people with differing views. Some are too removed from my views for me to understand, and vice versa, but all the same, there's potential here for good discussion. It hasn't been happening in the past few weeks, and I'd like it if that changed.

... there's potential here for good discussion. It hasn't been happening in the past few weeks, and I'd like it if that changed.
    This sentiment is actually part of the inspiration for the Dead thread. It was in terms of hours rather than weeks.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?