Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The World Forgotten: A Quarterly Review

I'm still waiting for Nessus to post something really freaky, provocative and non-image-based in the Debate and Discussion thread.

Go ahead, make my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I'm still waiting for Nessus to post something really freaky, provocative and non-image-based in the Debate and Discussion thread.

Go ahead, make my day.
    I'm not suggesting I'm some kind of freak-show for the peons to drool over, and this kind of calling out is side-stepping the issues I attempted to address.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I'm not suggesting I'm some kind of freak-show for the peons to drool over, and this kind of calling out is side-stepping the issues I attempted to address.
    You mean like the way you side-stepped the issue I was trying to address in the Dead thread?

And the way you called me out in the opening post of this thread?

This site is currently: Utter shit.

I'm certainly not the only one who has noted the destructive role played by Being...
    Get serious Ness, you're the only one here who thinks no one else is capable of conversing with you. I've tried many times and you just outright reject my efforts. Can you blame me for giving up?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

You complain about content, but you are unwilling to contribute any of your own.

I don't think anyone really knows what specifically you want to see. Lead by example.

Fine, I'll try to post more.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Sulk! Pout!
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Reported for soliciting
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Reported for soliciting
    Oh shit, we have rules against soliciting?

I was going to start pimping out wraithy here to see if I couldn't earn a little extra off his ass before it's completely worn out and useless.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

That's just lovely

So, can we put theory into practice a move AR81's latest moron thread into GC?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    This is why I kept my tripe Ignorance thread to GC, so...yeah...I agree with this motion.

Wait, are you referring to the Avatar one or the whale/dolphin one, because I just saw the Avatar one and...no, the Avatar one I don't know what he was thinking putting it in D&D...we need a review process for D&D or something...before crap goes in there...
    . . .

The avatar one.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The avatar one.
    I have a system in mind for how we could do D&D but we don't have enough people to implement it and no one is near active enough. Basically: a handful of people are approved to be the equivalent of sub-moderators. If a thread is to be posted to D&D it doesn't go through until it is approved by some percentage of said people, based on a tally of votes (+1 for appropriate, 0 for either way, -1 for inappropriate). After some time has passed, based on the votes, it either goes to D&D or GC. This should keep crap out of D&D initially. In order to keep people from gaming the system, the people who approve threads for D&D would not be known, and if they reveal themselves, are removed from their position. Voting would also be anonymous so that none of the approval people know who any of the other approval people are.
    . . .

Do you guys have enough man-power for that?

I put a suggestion in the other thread here. Split Formal Debate from Discussion, maybe named Serious Discussion.....with a description of criteria, so we know where to put a new thread before we even create one?

I don't see what's so hard about the current one. Serious, cerebral talk goes into D&D and the rest into chat.

Nor do I think democracy, even invisible, would cure D&D of the malaise of shit

I don't see what's so hard about the current one. Serious, cerebral talk goes into D&D and the rest into chat.
    People have differing opinions of what is serious cerebral talk...for instance I think AR probably thinks highly of his own threads...

Nor do I think democracy, even invisible, would cure D&D of the malaise of shit
    It could be a component of a system that does though, in the same way a toilet by itself doesn't keep shit from piling up inside one's home, but when connected to pipes and a drainage system is a useful component for making sure it doesn't...
    . . .

Well, I apologize if my threads were in the wrong place and it bugged anyone. Like the Love and War one---seemed too serious to be idle chat, but it wasn't really a "proper debate" as such.

It's hard to figure what others see as shit, and I see as potential philosophical conversations. Most of what ends up in D & D is a result of us reading on-line, big difference b/w on-line "news" and "journalism", "op-ed" and "analysis".

Hell, if even our media outlets mix it up, no wonder we do?

EDIT---all the sub-title descriptions say "Discussion". It's been pointed out that my definition of Discussion may not fit with others'.....??
    Last edited by GGT; 03-08-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Moderators decide.

We've all been feathering their arses on Atari how superdoober extra special fantastic Dread and Rand are as moderators, so if they feel they need to move a thread, they move a thread.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

yeah, but if the IRC mafia is moderating behind the screen....it's a bit confusing

+1.

Actually, can we move all of them over, not just the last one.

And should Kath be moved there too?

On a serious note, I don't agree with half you fucks here, but I still try to see how your points make sense. But I for one would love to see you post more Ness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    And should Kath be moved there too?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kathaksung View Post
    As a matter of fact, they opened a new site to keep people from read my messages.
    Having this in D&D is embarrassing.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I think Kath and AR should not be put in the same category. Where I will agree that Kath's threads are most likely an expression of some deeply troubling paranoia, I don't think AR can be pigeon holed as a lunatic of the same sort. Sure enough, I think 90% of his ideas are batfuck crazy, and for the rest I don't even dare to pretend I understand what he's trying to promote. But, what he is representing is a type of thinking that is seen as valid in parts of this world, and not just by some fringe types, but pretty main stream.

I think what he is representing is what goes for political culture in Latin America. We need not agree with it, but it does teach us something about how the world is seen from 'the other side'.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    yeah, but if the IRC mafia is moderating behind the screen....it's a bit confusing
    Nope.

We honestly try to keep IRC and the forum separate. Dread and Rand are the moderators, anyway. If the mafia were responsible for it I can think of 3 people who would be gone already.

Then you guys could be figuring out ways to attract more members, not just delete them.

I won't even ask who the branded 3 people are....maybe I'm one of them....but if it bugs you so much maybe it's a concentration/dilution problem, and they just stand out instead of blending in?

I am on the record from the beginning saying that the separation of General Chat and Debate and Discussion wasn't a great idea. Would just merging them help?

You want to merge D&D with Spamfest 2010?

It's not the forum's name's fault if GGT can't figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I am on the record from the beginning saying that the separation of General Chat and Debate and Discussion wasn't a great idea. Would just merging them help?
    So did I.

We were disagreed with.

So move the spammy shit out of D&D.

It's better to have a forum where half the threads on the top page are serious than one where 1/10 of the threads on the top page are serious.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I really like the division between the serious and chatty forum! It's not working 100% yet but that'll hopefully improve with time.