Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The World Forgotten: A Quarterly Review

No, we won't. You are a hypocrite.
    What a brilliant rebuttal. Just going to keep saying that over and over until I get board?

Do you know what a proportion is? Every has a decent chunk of brief posts. You, on the other hand, have little else.
    I don't think it's necessarily all that useful to compare word or sentence count. An one liner which says something new and relevant is much preferable to several paragraphs which say absolutely nothing. Plus, I wouldn't bother me if Being posted literally nothing but inane one liners if his post count was about a quarter of what it is. There was a time when basically every thread in D&D had at least a page of the following exchange:

BEING/AR81: blurgh blurgh blurgh I don't understand what the fuck is going on, but I will post anyway.
    SOMEONE ELSE: What the fuck are you talking about? That is factually wrong because of x, y, z reasons and is complete irrelevant anyway.
    BEING/AR81: blurgh blurgh blurgh I didn't even read your post, let alone understand it. Did you know that banks are run by space lizards? This is why the dollar will collapse shortly, and the health care form bill won't pass. A film I liked didn't win a Oscar due to racism against blue cat girls. blurg blurgh blurgh please shoot me in the face.
    etc etc
    then the same thing in the next thread, and the next. Thankfully, AR81 has limited himself to making declarative statement as if he knows what the fuck he's talking about and posting random articles and Being has calmed down a lot, but they both need to seriously assess whether their posts actually add anything before the hit the submit button.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 03-23-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Reporting it to the mods is dickish? If you're talking about my discussing whether we should vet people for posting there, it was only mentioned because you said something pretty ignorant.
    I did nothing of the sort! I asked if it really mattered very much, and the answer to that question was--and still is--unclear. Note the discussion in the rules thread for example, or even the one in the very thread under debate.

Same thing you can do with yours.
    That could mean anything from "post it!" to "fuck off you smug cunt" although I actually meant option 1
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I'll start reporting all the spam I find here so the moderators can keep score.
    oh come on... just let it lie, be the change you wish to see in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    if you don't like the overall style and tone of this forum, just fuck off and post on one where you are.
    We were on CC for, what, ten years? And because of a couple of years of exaggerated wankery and dickish behaviour you think I should have accepted the "overall style and tone" of the forum as being disrespectful and full of shitslinging? Gimme a fucking break. Post something awesome, the crap threads will sink to the bottom soon enough. Go on, post one of your articles or something.

In the meantime I'll promote my views at least as actively as eg. Nessie will promote hers, and, as always, it won't do you any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Do you know what a proportion is? Every has a decent chunk of brief posts. You, on the other hand, have little else. I'm not even going to try to quantify the relevance of your posts to the threads you make them in.
    It doesn't take 3 sentences to make a point. Most of your 3 sentence posts take the reader in a circle.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I don't think it's necessarily all that useful to compare word or sentence count. An one liner which says something new and relevant is much preferable to several paragraphs which say absolutely nothing. Plus, I wouldn't bother me if Being posted literally nothing but inane one liners if his post count was about a quarter of what it is. There was a time when basically every thread in D&D had at least a page of the following exchange:

BEING/AR81: blurgh blurgh blurgh I don't understand what the fuck is going on, but I will post anyway.
    SOMEONE ELSE: What the fuck are you talking about? That is factually wrong because of x, y, z reasons and is complete irrelevant anyway.
    BEING/AR81: blurgh blurgh blurgh I didn't even read your post, let alone understand it. Did you know that banks are run by space lizards? This is why the dollar will collapse shortly, and the health care form bill won't pass. A film I liked didn't win a Oscar due to racism against blue cat girls. blurg blurgh blurgh please shoot me in the face.
    etc etc
    then the same thing in the next thread, and the next. Thankfully, AR81 has limited himself to making declarative statement as if he knows what the fuck he's talking about and posting random articles and Being has calmed down a lot, but they both need to seriously assess whether their posts actually add anything before the hit the submit button.
    That just goes to show that you are the one who doesn't read my posts; not the other way around.

Being has calmed down a lot
    It's all about finding the right thing to emphasise

I've said my bit for this round- In summary, I'm for clear rules and guidelines that we can refer posters to, as well as for using moderation the way it's meant to be used. Moreover, I'm for being nice to one another, because that's not particularly taxing and generally has positive results

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    We were on CC for, what, ten years? And because of a couple of years of exaggerated wankery and dickish behaviour you think I should have accepted the "overall style and tone" of the forum as being disrespectful and full of shitslinging? Gimme a fucking break.
    If that's how MOST people here post, then yes. The forum doesn't revolve around your ideas about acceptable behavior online. If you don't like the tone here, find somewhere where the tone is more to your liking. I post on other forums which enforce a greater level of politeness than here. I don't stridently demand I be allowed to call people idiots, I accept the wishes of the people who run the place and abide by the mores of that particular community.

Post something awesome, the crap threads will sink to the bottom soon enough. Go on, post one of your articles or something.
    I'll post something awesome when I have something awesome to post. Since there are a finite number of awesome things, awesomeness will always be drowned out by people who insist on slinging up the first crap that comes into their heads.

Here's a straw poll. Hands up everyone whose had the following experience:

You see a thread you're interested in, click on it and decide to reply with your take on the topic. You press the reply button and begin to type, but you find that:

a) What you had to say doesn't really add anything, or say something that hasn't already been said by someone else.
    b) The logic of your argument doesn't work as well as you thought it did, now you've set it down on paper.
    c) Your argument has an obvious hole which will be seen through straight away.
    d) The point you were going to make isn't really relevant to the topic at hand.
    e) What you were going to say was actually kind of shit.
    f) In looking for supporting evidence, you find that you're just plain wrong.
    g) If it was a joke, it's actually not that funny, or not funny enough to be worth a whole post.
    h) It's a good idea but you can't find a way to express the idea in a coherent, logical fashion: possibly think about it some more and post it later.
    etc

Upon which you don't press submit, but press the back button instead?

I'd say most of us have had this experience. Probably anything up to half the posts I was intending on making end up this way. I'd also guess that the people whose posting behavior gets the most criticism do not do this.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

That just goes to show that you are the one who doesn't read my posts; not the other way around.
    I try and avoid it, but sometimes you just can't help blundering across one.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I try and avoid it, but sometimes you just can't help blundering across one.
    You must be blundering across all the wrong ones because more often than not my posts are on topic and make a point.

I'll start reporting all the spam I find here so the moderators can keep score.
    So now you're threatening the rest of the playground with deus ex machina because we won't play with you?

Look. Maybe Minx has a point, maybe your belief in the points and on-topicness of your posts isn't all delusion. Doesn't it still tell you something that such a number of posters react so negatively to you? Maybe try changing your posting style a bit? Instead of bullshit "i r smrt" two-sentence thread starters and posts, you write out your thoughts. Explain them to us dumb-asses, in detail. Then we can discuss them. That's called thinking, and having a conversation, and that's the reason most of us are here. You're capable of making decent posts, I've seen you do it! But as Steely lays out, you don't seem to know when you're doing it.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Look. Maybe Minx has a point, maybe your belief in the points and on-topicness of your posts isn't all delusion. Doesn't it still tell you something that such a number of posters react so negatively to you? Maybe try changing your posting style a bit? Instead of bullshit "i r smrt" two-sentence thread starters and posts, you write out your thoughts. Explain them to us dumb-asses, in detail. Then we can discuss them. That's called thinking, and having a conversation, and that's the reason most of us are here. You're capable of making decent posts, I've seen you do it! But as Steely lays out, you don't seem to know when you're doing it.
    I am working on it.
    Last edited by Being; 03-24-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Wait, wait. I've only read the first page but I don't like the idea of a rep system.

Hey Ness, is this the kind of discussion you want in the serious forum?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    And rightly so. If those damned faggot kids hadn't maliciously seduced moral, upright Catholic priests into sin, none of this would be happening. And now that the media's found out, they're doing a classic "blame the victims" rap. Like it's suddenly the priest's fault that some little faggot lured him into sin.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    1) Finance a series of small scale Islamofascist terrorist strike against Western nations that import lots of oil. Fear over the stability of the world's oil supply (conveniently located in all those Arab nations) will drive the price up, while keeping the attacks small scale will prevent economic damage (which might impede oil importers' ability to pay). By having a small scale strike occur periodically, fear (and therefore oil prices) will remain consistently high. As an added bonus, terrorist strikes against our "allies" will give the various Arab OPEC nations an excuse to crack down harder on their citizens and eliminate political dissent at home, and we can blame it all on the Jews anyway.

2) Promote homosexuality, sexually promiscuous behavior, orgies, kinky sex and other activities deemed blasphemous to Allah. This will create an increased demand for condoms, plastic ball gags, latex body suits, dildos and all manner of other kinky sex toys made from plastics, synthetic rubber and other petroleum byproducts, resulting in an increased demand for oil. Furthermore, this will enrage our illiterate and ignorant Dark-Age era tribal populace into rioting and general uprising, sparking fears about the supply of oil (further raising prices) and causing an increased demand for crowd control equipment (like "riot shields"), which are also made of petroleum byproducts, even further stimulating the demand for oil. Blame the Jews.

If the populace gets out of control, ask the US for military aid to put down the uprisings in order to "secure the supply of oil."

3) Every decade or so, have some naive asshat with a Ph.D. remind the world that current proven oil reserves will only last another 50 years at most, in order to keep the moronic public anxious about the supply of oil. Under no circumstances should it mentioned that unproven reserves and oil fields owned (but not yet tapped) by major petro-corporations contain enough oil to make the current proven reserves look like a drop in the ocean.

It's been working since the early 1900's, so it should continue to be an effective strategy for another hundred years or more.

Not a problem. OPEC should actively support the development of solar technology, because "green energy" proponents are stupid twats who haven't been able to figure out how incredibly inefficient and infeasible it is to provide large amounts of power using solar energy. By supporting the development of solar power, we ensure that development of feasible future energy production is stunted in favor of political pandering to tree-hugging retards, ensuring reliance on burning oil for energy for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, current "cutting edge" solar technology relies heavily on synthetic plastics and rubbers made from petroleum, so environmentalist morons are unwittingly supporting the use of "evil" oil in their quest for "green" energy.

Let your love rain down.

It's not my party, if his brand of tea is cooler than the coolest cool for the mods then all we can do is watch him blather on about his pathology vis a vis government.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Hey Ness, is this the kind of discussion you want in the serious forum?

<Cainly goodness>
    If you can't see the completely serious issues I raised which are only *very* thinly veiled by my sarcasm... how are you able to breathe and type at the same time without overloading your mental faculties?
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.