Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearthstone

Hunter is one of the easiest ones to start with. The Adventure Packs are the best use of gold early on, if you don't want to just shovel real money at Blizzard. A number of cards from them are staples in a lot of decks for one class or other (or for all classes, like the Sludge Belcher). It will seem slow, and it is, but it's worth it if you think you're going to stick with the game. 13-15 of the 30 cards from Naxx are used in decks constantly. Blackrock cards aren't as ubiquitous, I think there are only six or seven that get used constantly but it'll allow you to do a themed deck which will still work reasonably well in low-ranked play.

Whether you spend gold on arena or on packs kinda depends on what you end up liking from the game. You won't do WELL in arena if you're not familiar with the game, but you'll do better than you're likely to in ranked play (and there's basically no reason not to do ranked play rather than unladdered, since ranked can give you rewards now). You won't get as many cards as quickly, and the fact that you don't know which set you'll even get a pack for now is a PITA, but it was my preferred way to spend gold before. But it really depends on your tastes.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 09-25-2015 at 03:59 AM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Arena runs, once you get practice at the game is the best way to spend your gold for new cards. There are certain cards that are very strong from Naxxarammas such as Sludge Belcher, and are worth getting at some point. That said you can make strong decks without it. I think one of the cheapest decks currently (as far as ease of getting the cards) is Patron Warrior which if I start playing seriously (that's probably what I'd play), but I think you need to get the first two wings of Black Rock 1400g to unlock key cards in the deck.

Doing the quests is best way to make gold, do the Tavern brawls to get your free pack, and play arena (which often you can complete quests in arena/tavern brawl).

Are gold cards any different from the regular version of the card other than being shiny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Are gold cards any different from the regular version of the card other than being shiny?
    They're worth more dust if you disenchant them (you can't disenchant the gold versions of the basic cards which you get for "leveling up" a hero) but other than that no, they're not any different, they're just a vanity reward.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Been playing this loads.

Did a full Naxxramas run, got some oranage cards.

Been trying different decks and classes. Druid mostly, but think you can put together better combinations with Shaman so playing that more now.

Essentially now I get gold together to do Arena runs.

Done some crafting but you get so little from disenchantments. Getting dust from Arena runs is a better bet.

Hooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    They're worth more dust if you disenchant them (you can't disenchant the gold versions of the basic cards which you get for "leveling up" a hero) but other than that no, they're not any different, they're just a vanity reward.
    They also cost more to enchant (which I suppose makes sense or else balance on disenchantment would be broken). I guess you might as well only use dust to enchant regular versions other than vanity then?

Tim did you pay for Naxxramas or grind the gold for it?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I guess you might as well only use dust to enchant regular versions other than vanity then?
    The vanity versions, IMO, can't possibly be worth the dust cost until you already have all the cards you might possibly want for your deck(s). Which is going to take a long while.

Tim did you pay for Naxxramas or grind the gold for it?
    If he just started playing on the 14th, I think he'd have had to spend cash on it. It costs a total of 3500 gold to unlock, I believe, and with the cap of 100 gold/day on the repeatable win quests, and a top average curve of about 60 gold on the daily missions, he can't have made more than 2200 or so.

Indeed - paid for the full Naxxramas run.

The Legendary cards you get are:
    • Baron Rivendare (Military Quarter): Your minions trigger their Deathrattles twice.
    • Loatheb (Plague Quarter): Battlecry: Enemy spells cost (5) more next turn.
    • Maexxna (Arachnid Quarter): Destroy any minion damaged by this minion.
    • Kel'Thuzad (Frostwyrm Lair): At the end of the turn, summon all friendly minions that died this turn.
    • Stalagg (Construct Quarter): If Feugen also died this game, summon Thaddius.
    • Feugen (Construct Quarter): If Stalagg also died this game, summon Thaddius.
    (From above • Thaddius (Construct Quarter): Summoned when Feugen and Stalagg die. No special abilities of his own, but he has 11 health and 11 attack. )

Only Maexxna and Kel'Thuzad feature regularly in my packs.

Worth £17.49? Value for money? Not sure. I can't imagine grinding enough gold to pay for it, either.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Fatigue is a b###h

Every game like this I've played has a form of fatigue but normally its only one damage per card you can't draw. It escalates in this so just now the fifth card is 5 points of damage (15 total for 5 cards). That makes this far more damaging than it normally is. One point of damage per card is better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Indeed - paid for the full Naxxramas run.

The Legendary cards you get are:

Only Maexxna and Kel'Thuzad feature regularly in my packs.

Worth £17.49? Value for money? Not sure. I can't imagine grinding enough gold to pay for it, either.
    The legendaries aren't the big draw. Kel'thuzad is the only one that gets used outside of niche decks or those who just don't have many cards in the first place. It's the non-legendaries that get used frequently. Haunted Creeper, Webspinner, and Zombie Chow are all constant picks for the first couple of turns, Nerubian Egg features regularly for those that can ping their own cards and as a deterrent to wave-clearing AoE, Duplicate is a go-to mage secret until you get enough rare secrets which are harder to play around. Voidcaller shows up just about every warlock deck, Mad Scientist features prominently in most secret decks, particularly Face Hunter which is very strong and relatively cheap to get going. Shade of Naxxramas is something opponents can't allow to stay on the board and can't target immediately, Death's Bite is probably the best warrior weapon card in the game, and Sludge Belcher is a very valuable draw for everyone, just about always one of the top five most frequently included cards in a deck.

Fatigue is a b###h

Every game like this I've played has a form of fatigue but normally its only one damage per card you can't draw. It escalates in this so just now the fifth card is 5 points of damage (15 total for 5 cards). That makes this far more damaging than it normally is. One point of damage per card is better IMO.
    Fatigue should rarely be a factor at all, games are almost always done before then. You usually only deal with fatigue if you're facing a mill deck (which is built around running you out of cards and which will probably kill you even without fatigue because it forced you to discard too much, if you can't beat it before running out of cards in the first place) or when using a long-game Control deck against another long-game Control deck. If fatigue is a factor more often then "very rarely" then you probably need to learn how to play more aggressively.

Only ran into Fatigue once, with a player that had two cards forcing each player to draw three cards that he kept playing, duplicating and shuffling in for more of and recalling from the field to play again. I saw the same card get played about 6 times as a result and I was powerless to prevent it (and was calculating that I'd be easily OK as he only had 6 health points left to my 16 on my final turn).

Ah yes, both Shade of Naxxramas and Sludge Belcher are mainstays of my decks.

Fatigue, indeed only had it once.

Fucking mages who spank you repeatedly with fucking 10 Damage spells.

Whats the fucking point in playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Fucking mages who spank you repeatedly with fucking 10 Damage spells.

Whats the fucking point in playing the game.
    Pyroblast is far from the most annoying card. Six more mana for 4 more damage than fireball.

Indeed.

Annoy-o-Tron is the most annoying card.

~

It is annoying as hell though when you get a mage who doesn't play cards at all, just hits you with fireball and pyroblast. The only defence I can think of is to play a priest and spam healing in return. Makes for a really dull game.

One defense is to constantly have a few weak minions on your board at all times. Perhaps mixed with some charge cards.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Annoyotron does indeed live up to it's name, for everyone but mage with their easy ping. Too small to want to waste extra cards or effects on but still absorbing at least two minions' attention.

The solution to mages plethora of direct damage spells is to not give them room to cast them on you. Pressure them hard enough that they have no choice but to use them to fend off your minions (aggro decks), keep their side of the board clear yourself so they can't whittle you down to lethal range in the first place (control decks), or force them to expend them on hefty blockers as they try to keep you from managing either of the first two conditions.

Even accounting for its rarity, that monster pyro isn't a frequent card choice because against decent opponents the mage player usually either doesn't need it or lucks into drawing it for lethal near the end which isn't something they can count on at all. Like MtG, Hearthstone is a game that turns heavily on card-advantage. If your opponent is top-decking, his hand empty except for what he draws that turn while you've got a hand of options to play, you're likely in a very dominant position. You want to trade cards to your advantage, to force your opponent to use multiple cards to deal with each of yours (which is why Sludge Belcher is such a strong card, and why annoyotron is so successfully annoying) or to use up strong cards that could get them an early Lethal, like fireball, on your minions to try and keep from granting you card-advantage.

So far I've only played as Mage and Annoy-o-tron (and any other divine shield) is just a case of using your talent to cause 1 damage (ie remove shield) and then proceed as normal. So it just wastes two mana basically.

I supposed that's what you mean by easy ping.

Yes it is. In most ways the hero powers are a bit weak for their mana cost (not warlocks, which is why it has an additional cost in life) but they also don't require you to expend cards so they help preserve card-advantage. Just how valuable that ping can be isn't necessarily as clear with the annoy-o-tron (until you see a paladin or priest start buffing it's attack power) but the other classes definitely feel its absence. It's far and away the most versatile of the hero powers. Pinging off shields, finishing off minions you'd otherwise have to spend a card on, activating "on damage" effects like enrage or the Grim Patron's duplication on your own side. . .

by the way, if any of you need a partner for friendly competition/advice, or even just an acquaintance to spectate for the daily quest, pm me for my Battlenet handle. I don't think I'll be able to link up with anyone off the American servers but for those that are over here, I'm available.

Same reason I found the Druid a very effective hero to play, the ability to hit minions for one damage with the +1 attack +1 armour hero power. Disadvantage of course being that minion attack will damage your hero.

~

I'm finding the spells/minions that generate extra cards are the most useful.

~

Another unstoppable tactic I've encountered on a relatively regular basis is that 3/3 minion which warriors play, which duplicates when it takes damage (can't remember the name of the minion). Warriors can hit them for one and then the duplication is spammed - you're suddenly faced with up to 8 of the little fuckers facing you. Haven't yet come close to finding a way to deal with 'em. Immediate concede.

Grim Patron. And Patron combo decks have been very dominant since a couple of weeks after BrM released, very hard to stop. A mage's flamestrike is the easiest response, or any number of other AoE spells with a cheap spellpower boost from kobold geomancers or similar non-basic cards. The next best counter is avoiding putting minions with less than 3 attack in your deck but I run with Commanding Shout to deal with that and it's seeing more play from other Warriors as well. I had to make a number of changes to my priest deck to better handle Patron Warriors and it hosed most weenie decks. Paladin swarm is still holding on through the strength of the new murloc knight card but it's the only one.

The primary weakness is that it IS a combo deck design. It needs multiple pieces (sometimes expensive ones, mana-wise) to work consistently which is why most people running it use a lot of card-draw. Focus on taking out the Warsong Commanders which give 'em that charge when they spawn, try to avoid granting them extra card draw when they drop minions like acolyte of pain or loot hoarder, and otherwise hope that they don't draw right to pull off the combo. Acid-touched Slime will trigger the deathrattle on a Death's Bite weapon before they're ready and is a 3-attack to boot, all the good taunters have at least 3 attack (though this is one area where the Sludge Belcher can be a bit of a drawback), be smart about your damage order and minion match-ups to minimize or prevent new spawns, etc. But a lot of it is just out of your hands, depends on how their drawing goes.

This week's Tavern Brawl is probably my favourite so far. It's a co-op game where you and another player take on a mech-boss on steroids. Extremely well-designed decks and fun as hell as long as you play with someone who understands how the brawl works. Extremely frustrating on the few occasions you get paired up with a complete idiot or a troll The inability to communicate with the other player except through some gestures that have been listed on reddit makes it more challenging and fun.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It's a great thing to do with friends. . . and frustrating that "brawl with friend" option doesn't give the you weekly reward.

Having a lot of fun with this week's brawl where, for every minion you summon, you get a spell that normally has the same mana cost but that you can cast for free. Mage was a blast. Hunter is a lot more uneven for me so far but I shall persevere

So I've disenchanted enough dust now to be able to choose a legendary. Am not sure what to go for.

Preferences are:

I play druid as my deck of choice, so there are 3 legendaries there I could go for:

Malorne:

Aviana:

Cenarius:

Or of the neutrals:

I've always like Ysera when I've encountered it:

Dr Boom is powerful, but quite common:

Hogger is a favourite.

Thoughts?
    Any others I should consider?

Dr. Boom is the most common for a reason. For the dust cost, and the mana-cost in play, he provides the most bang for the buck for a very broad variety of decks. He synergizes well. And he works particularly well with your Savage Roar spell as a Druid. You don't want to include a card, even a legendary, just because they're a good card, but for how they work with your deck. So who you choose is rather dependent on what kind of deck you're playing. Ysera doesn't matter so much in draw-heavy decks (but is an ok choice for the end-game with a ramp deck, just not as good as Boom) while Malorne is a great card for draw and fatigue decks. Cenarius is excellent if your deck has a tendency to swarm rather than having just one or two big bruisers out at a time and is also a good choice for ramp decks (better than Ysera), etc. I think Aviana is probably the least useful of them, she's too expensive and easy to get rid of before you can make decent use of her.

Cenarius is the only druid legendary that might be worth using the dust on, IMO, unless you're playing an unusual variant like a fatigue-deck. Hogger is a good card but is not particularly essential. Dr. Boom is, and Sylvanas probably is too. Definitely a better choice than Aviana. She can be tricky to play optimally but is great for making your opponent make poor trades.

I was lucky. I got a Ysera from a pack not long after I created my Boom so they're both in my druid ramp deck. I do know how nice it is to have her around. But the extra two mana means it's a lot less likely for her play the key roles Boom does.

Having said all that, neither Cenarius nor Ysera are bad choices, they're both very useful cards and any player should be happy to have them.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 03-03-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Of the neutrals, Boom is the most versatile, fits well in most decks for most classes. Of the class legendaries, Cenarius is probably the most versatile (different decks and situations) although it's possible there may be a better choice for your particular play-style.

If you have the most important Druid epics etc then go for Boom.

Def. make sure to get the League of Explorers expansion, some really nice (guaranteed) cards in there!

Not sure how useful Sylvanas is for druids in the current meta.

Thanks you two.

Boom it is. Seems to be having an impact already.

Generally it's not recommended to disenchant legendaries but now that you can disenchant cards from the previous adventures you might want to identify those legendaries whose very presence in your deck is offensive to your gentlemanly sensibilities and disenchant the hell out of them

Watcha get for disenchanting legends?

~

Anyone think Hearthstone is getting ... harder .. ?

More people must be playing or summink. I'm far from an accomplished player I know, but with my druid deck I used to be able to get to rank 13 or so each month. Now, with a better deck and more experience behind me, I struggle to get past rank 16.

The decks I'm encountering with people ranked 17-18 seem significantly better than they were a month or two back.

Oh. And I hate losing.