Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearthstone

Default Hearthstone

Is anyone playing this?

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

Free-to-play collectible card game inspired by M:tG and set in WoW
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

No but they've put it on the same servers as Diablo III so had login difficulties for a week or so with that because of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Wasn't interested at first since I was already established in magic online. But the recent announcement of a single player campaign has put it back on my radar for after summer.

Yeah I'm enjoying the game. My favorite mode is the Arena (Draft).

To my surprise I've been snared by this game again after a long hiatus. It's a bit of a grind at first and I've been having some horrible runs in the Arena (not being offered the heroes I prefer, bad drafts, also crappy playing ) but when things go right it's a lot of fun the strategic elements remain challenging and entertaining.

The humor in the campaign modes is good too.

I've been playing regularly since shortly before Christmas.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm having a lot of fun with Naxxramas but I don't believe I'll spend too much energy on going through it again on expert difficulty

I downloaded the game, it's kind of fun.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Playing it now. Getting my ass whooped by half the opponents. Kicking the ass of the other half. Not many close games.
    Hope is the denial of reality

They really need to provide additional reasons for playing.

Constructed (ranked in particular) above level 18 is more challenging, as is arena. Tavern Brawl is hella fun

They're more challenging, but you get nothing for winning (other than 10 gold per 3 wins...).

I keep on losing at rank 19. Not enough special cards. Especially secrets. They're overpowered.

Edit: Just lost to someone whose strategy was to force me to use up my entire deck and then suffer massive penalties for attempting to draw cards that I no longer had. WTF.
    Last edited by Loki; 07-06-2015 at 11:08 PM.

Hehe yes fatigue in addition to the 10 gold you can complete your quests, usually 40 or 60 gold per quest, occasionally 100.Re-roll 40-gold quests unless they can be easily combined with 60-gold ones. You can re-roll one per day. Once you have unlocked all basic cards you can keep an eye out for rarer cards you might need to craft. With your gold you can either buy packs or keys to the arena. In arena you usually need 3 wins to break even ie so that you get both a card pack and an extra reward worth the extra cost of admission. However it's also more fun and you learn from playing, also you don't need to have any cards yourself since you get to choose from random cards extra or entirely useless cards can be disenchanted for dust and you also get dust in arena. The dust can be used to craft cards and I'd recommend crafting the most useful neutral rares first unless you already have a strong preference for a particular class. Also check out suggestions for basic decks, at early stages variations on "face hunter" and "zoolock" may be extra effective. Secrets are tricky. You have to learn to play around them by there's also a card called Kezan Mystic that's not v good as a minion but that can steal a secret for you.

Better than buying card packs may be to buy the naxxramas expansion wings because they include guaranteed card rewards that are v useful in general and esp in the current metagame. More rational to buy the expansion with real money but may be more satisfying to stick to your guns and buy it with gold

I do those things (and did all "secret quests" to get some extra money). But that means getting maybe 60-70 gold per day. I tried arena twice, but only won 5 matches total. I also disenchanted a bunch of useless cards and got enough cocaine dust for crafting a few useful cards.

Didn't realize you can pay for the adventure with gold. Would have saved up more of it. But anywho, as things stand, I can only get 60-70 gold a day. And that means not much of a potential of getting good new cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    They're more challenging, but you get nothing for winning (other than 10 gold per 3 wins...).

I keep on losing at rank 19. Not enough special cards. Especially secrets. They're overpowered.

Edit: Just lost to someone whose strategy was to force me to use up my entire deck and then suffer massive penalties for attempting to draw cards that I no longer had. WTF.
    Wait until you play a deck that forces you to max hand size and keeps making you draw more.

So.... the same strategies as Magic the Gathering.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Many similarities but simpler and more focused

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Wait until you play a deck that forces you to max hand size and keeps making you draw more.
    That's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post

Ah, the rogue/druid mill deck. I can actually beat that most of the time with mostly basic decks. It's mostly a matter of figuring out early that it's what they're playing and emphasizing getting your cards out and keeping both boards mostly clear, for your side as well as theirs.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

They didn't do it until quite late in the game. Then they got 2 minions that require both players to get 2 cards each. And they cast a card that let them resummon those minions once they died. That meant drawing an extra 4 cards per turn. I ended up losing once I got hit by fatigue -5 (I was a priest, so managed to keep the lesser damage in check).

Yes, I know how it works. Using that, brewmasters to bring them back into the hand, the gang-up spell to make copies and put them back in their deck, etc. But you play enough and you get a feel for how the different classes play, and the mill decks don't play the way less meta decks do for those classes which can pull it off. They're typically designed to just keep you in check, to control you, until they can pull off the repeated draw combos. And they have a hard time doing so if you figure out what's going on and start playing to it quickly enough. Some decks are still going to have a very hard time with a mill deck (a typical ramp druid deck is almost certainly hard-countered by a mill deck, for instance, and a mage spell deck is also going to have a very hard time if the mill isn't putting down many creatures to burn) and of course every deck can be screwed by bad drawing, but most decks with a decent mana curve can avoid the trap or leave the miller to die from fatigue first.

This week's tavern brawl is a little stupid but def. fun if you're playing mage or priest

Yeah, I lost twice before I figured it out and created a mage with pretty much all spells. Kicked ass after that.

What's your tag aimless we can a play a few games if you like. also if you don't midn me asking what your best arena run/highest contructed rank?

Haven't played in a while now. Creating 3 courses out of scratch was more time-consuming than I thought they would be. I might try to get back into it in December. I think I got to rank 19, and had cards from one of the "adventures".

Just DL'd this yesterday and am now hooked. Seem to be playing hunter for some reason.

Is it best to spend gold on packs? Or Arena? Or save it for summink else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Packs, until you can win at least 2-3 games at the arena.

Got this today. Completed the tutorial (probably unsurprisingly) and won my first online game.

Is there a way to add you guys as friends if anyone wants to be added? If its my username, its my usual of RandBlade (surprise, surprise). It says #2804 if that means anything.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Am I understanding it correctly that the Adventures (Naxxramas etc) can be unlocked with in-game gold and not just real-world cash? If so is it better to unlock them first with in-game gold before unlocking packs? Or should I buy packs first?

(With a current intention of spending 0.00 on this game )