Thread: Assassination of dolphins

Default Assassination of dolphins

The trainer of Flipper made a documentary on assassination of dolphins in Japan, called "The Cove". Dolphins are hunted for meat or to make them prisoners in aquariums. The director realized that having dolphins in captivity was a mistake, after one of the dolphins portraying Flipper commited suicide.

* BBC: Japan town continues dolphin hunt
    * BBC: Oscar win for film of dolphin hunt in Japan's Taiji
    The mayor of Taiji, Kazutaka Sangen, protested at the film's Oscar win.
    "I think it is regrettable that the film presents as fact material that is not backed up by scientific proof," he said in a statement reported by Reuters news agency.
    He said that the hunt was legal in Japan and called for respect for the traditions of different cultures.

* Official director's website
    * Japanese version of the site
    * Documentary site

News on assassination of dolphins (it may hurt sensitive people, discretion is advised)

* Politicians, lies and local flukes
    * Freedom and Life to Dolphins

Science:
    * Dolphin, Human Brain Size Not So Different

Wiki:
    In the United States, around ten billion animals are slaughtered every year in 5,700 slaughterhouses and processing plants employing 527,000 workers;[1] in 2007, 28.1 billion pounds of beef were consumed in the U.S. alone.[2] In Canada, 650 million are killed annually.[3] In the European Union, the annual figure is 300 million cattle, sheep, and pigs, and four billion chickens.[4]
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Cows are considerably less intelligent than whales or dolphins.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Does that matter?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

But pigs aren't, are they?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Does that matter?
    Brought this up for a similar reason you did in the thread about emotions and the mind. I'm really getting tired of the counter to Japan's whaling/dolphin hunting being that the US kills a lot of farm animals. Yes, that we do. However there are some major differences, one, most of US farm animals in general are far less intelligent and aware than dolphins and whales, and said farm animals have been breed to be that way. Two, said farm animals are, at the current time, a necessary food source that feeds millions, I am unsure, but doubt, the same could be said for dolphins and whales in regards to Japan.

In response to your actual question, I'd have to say it would be nice if it did. However in regards to Ziggy though, it may, I don't know how he feels on the alternate topic of killing chimps for food...

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    But pigs aren't, are they?
    Yeah pigs are a sore point as are octopi, and squid...however their deliciousness to cuteness/lovableness ratio isn't low enough to keep people from eating them...
    Last edited by Illusions; 03-08-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Does that matter?
    How about hunting and eating Japanese people? Perhaps as soylent green?
    It would be compatible with shintoist tradition that encourages Japanese to give more than they receive.
    Does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    How about hunting and eating Japanese people? Perhaps as soylent green?
    It would be compatible with shintoist tradition that encourages Japanese to give more than they receive.
    Does that matter?
    Does it?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Brought this up for a similar reason you did in the thread about emotions and the mind. I'm really getting tired of the counter to Japan's whaling/dolphin hunting being that the US kills a lot of farm animals. Yes, that we do. However there are some major differences, one, most of US farm animals in general are far less intelligent and aware than dolphins and whales, and said farm animals have been breed to be that way. Two, said farm animals are, at the current time, a necessary food source that feeds millions, I am unsure, but doubt, the same could be said for dolphins and whales in regards to Japan.
    You could turn that around by saying that those dolphins and whales at least had a free life until they are caught.

I don't mind whale and dolphin (or chimps, for that matter) hunting for food a big issue unless it threatens the ecosystem significantly, or the animals are endangered (which most whales are, I believe). Same with regular hunting, and fishing, etc.

You could turn that around by saying that those dolphins and whales at least had a free life until they are caught.

I don't mind whale and dolphin (or chimps, for that matter) hunting for food a big issue unless it threatens the ecosystem significantly, or the animals are endangered (which most whales are, I believe). Same with regular hunting, and fishing, etc.
    Hunting japanese does not hurt the environment either...
    Indeed sinking japanese whale ships would help the formation of coral reefs.

Uhh, our cows and chickens have been breed, developed, and engineered over the course of thousands of years to be stupid, docile, meaty, and delicious...I don't think you can say the same things about dolphins or whales...

This doesn't explain anything. So what if you don't mind it? How does that matter in the grand scheme of things?
    . . .

Natives who hunted aquatic life to sustain their population never "over-fished" the waters. That would have sealed their death. They had a better sense of the delicacy of eco-systems, even without studies to tell them so.

Same for farmers who knew how to fallow land, use composted material and seasons, and let it return to its fertility naturally.

Seems to me what the argument is about is....when does our fancy-pants scientific data and technology turn sour, and we end up with such a manipulated environment that we don't even recognize the manipulations as harmful?

In response to your actual question, I'd have to say it would be nice if it did. However in regards to Ziggy though, it may, I don't know how he feels on the alternate topic of killing chimps for food...
    I'm just as big a sap for cute animals as the next person. However I would not be as judgemental on Japan killing dolphins, or some other culture eating chimps while I'm singing praise to bacon. Pigs are cute too. I don't know if I'd have the stomach to kill a little piglet for it's meat. Probably not. I'm glasd there are other people who do it for me.

I'm not aware of a topic about killing chimps though, so I might be tunneling in the wrong direction with my answer there.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I'm not basing this on cuteness factor but on intelligence and necessity.
    . . .

Intellectually, that's the better choice. And Chimps have the luxury to be both cute and rather intelligent.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Rapid worldwide depletion of predatory fish communities
    Ransom A. Myers & Boris Worm

Biology Department, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4J1
    Correspondence to: Ransom A. Myers Correspondence and requests for materials should be addressed to R.A.M. (Email: Ransom.Myers @ dal.ca).

Serious concerns have been raised about the ecological effects of industrialized fishing, spurring a United Nations resolution on restoring fisheries and marine ecosystems to healthy levels4. However, a prerequisite for restoration is a general understanding of the composition and abundance of unexploited fish communities, relative to contemporary ones. We constructed trajectories of community biomass and composition of large predatory fishes in four continental shelf and nine oceanic systems, using all available data from the beginning of exploitation. Industrialized fisheries typically reduced community biomass by 80% within 15 years of exploitation. Compensatory increases in fast-growing species were observed, but often reversed within a decade. Using a meta-analytic approach, we estimate that large predatory fish biomass today is only about 10% of pre-industrial levels. We conclude that declines of large predators in coastal regions have extended throughout the global ocean, with potentially serious consequences for ecosystems. Our analysis suggests that management based on recent data alone may be misleading, and provides minimum estimates for unexploited communities, which could serve as the 'missing baseline needed for future restoration efforts.
    Source: Nature magazine

Uhh, our cows and chickens have been breed, developed, and engineered over the course of thousands of years to be stupid, docile, meaty, and delicious...I don't think you can say the same things about dolphins or whales...
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant they were bred in captivity with the sole purpose of being eaten, not this type of breeding, my bad. Still, plenty of people like game, too.
    This doesn't explain anything. So what if you don't mind it? How does that matter in the grand scheme of things?
    What do you expect? The entire debate is based on morals, and this is my opinion that I shared. What else could I add? For all I care Japanese can eat whales and dolphins if they want to, I don't really see how that is anyone's business except their own, provided they don't wipe out the species or imbalance the ecosystems gravely (like overfishing), which would affect the entire world.