Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redskins Trademark Revoked

So they didn't actually change their names...they moved cities and adopted nicknames appropriate to those new locales...

Incidentally, the Houston Oilers were terrible, and the Baltimore Colts weren't good for a decade before moving. So as usual, do you have an actual point? You think pretty much all good teams keep their names for shits and giggles? Do you see teams like the Yankees, Lakers, Knicks, Red Wings, and Cowboys changing their names, regardless of how outdated those names have become?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    So they didn't actually change their names...they moved cities and adopted nicknames appropriate to those new locales...

Incidentally, the Houston Oilers were terrible, and the Baltimore Colts weren't good for a decade before moving.
    They were sooo terrible that other states wanted them.

So as usual, do you have an actual point? You think pretty much all good teams keep their names for shits and giggles? Do you see teams like the Yankees, Lakers, Knicks, Red Wings, and Cowboys changing their names, regardless of how outdated those names have become?
    Professional team names come and go with the times. In some circles "Yankee" is still used as a pejorative...but it doesn't mean any particular ethnic or racial group. It'd be a different thing entirely if teams had names like "Crackers" or "Honkies" or "Chinks" or "Spics" in comparison, but they don't -- because it's crude and bigoted.

PS, minority groups have the ultimate decision about what's offensive. If native Americans find "Redskin" offensive, then it's offensive.

How many have too find it offensive? Is there a threshold, or is this another assumtpion by white folks?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Wow, you are just entirely ignorant on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Economic growth remains poor, but at least the Senate is doing its role of harassing the executive branch into taking action on things that offend people! Seriously, I saw an AP poll that 83% of Amerikans surveyed thought the name was more-or-less not a big deal. Even the New Yorker, increasingly a redoubt of hard-left trust fund kids, interviewed a few Native Americans who mostly (but not entirely )said it was okay.
    This is a strange argument to make considering most US citizens are neither native Americans nor particularly Enlightened, and most redskins are too drunk and disillusioned to say anything to pollsters.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The Houston Oilers was a crappy team? The Baltimore Colts was a crappy team? That's why they moved to different states and adopted new team names?
    I don't know about the Colts, that was before my time, but I remember when the Titans were in Houston and were called the Oilers. And yes, they were a consistently losing team back then. They reached the playoffs a total of something around four times over the course of 40 years and I don't think they EVER won a championship while they were the Oilers.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Professional team names come and go with the times. In some circles "Yankee" is still used as a pejorative...but it doesn't mean any particular ethnic or racial group.
    Uh. . . Yankees are New Englanders. Specifically, Yankees are New England WASPS. It is an identifiable ethnic/racial group within the US. Outside the US it is used to refer to Americans in general and usually with a slight pejorative tinge.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm going to start a trend where we just find everything offensive, so the trademark office will have to remove every trademark. As a matter of fact, im going to start calling some of the idiots in my office Super Bowls --- maybe I can get that term widely used as offensive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

I'm offended by your offense. I say we ban that.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm offended by your offense. I say we ban that.
    Oh shut up you dirty Super Bowl.

Why, you World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Oh shut up you dirty Super Bowl.
    It might be nice if we can do away with all this "The Big Game" nonsense. It's silly, and sounds like something a Super Bowl would say.

Do you mean what would FIFA say?