Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Please, for Zalgo's sake, keep threads from becoming insultfests in D&D...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    No, extolling the greatness of your country for the better part of a year now, including in many instances where the claim to greatness was rather dubious, counts as hyper-nationalism in my book.
    I disturbingly have to agree with the little Minxlet. You do tend to be all Amerika-is-the-greatest-at-everything.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I disturbingly have to agree with the little Minxlet. You do tend to be all Amerika-is-the-greatest-at-everything.
    Yeah, that's why I'm been praising the American education system, the wisdom of the American voter, the ability of American politicians to solve problems, etc.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Rather ironic to see Minx turn into a hyper-nationalist.
    Not for me really. It was like he decided one day, after having been a thoughtful, humble poster for a few years... "I wonder what it would be like to try out some different personalities. I think I'll work my way up from petty troll to narcissist, to magical spirituality, and then finally resume being someone humble with well thought out opinions."

He's just in his "Isn't where I come from the greatest!?" phase.
    . . .

Hopefully he'll return to the thoughtful poster stage within our lifetimes.

I still think you're just red herringing the conversation; it doesn't matter what Minx's post history is for the purposes of this discussion and the validity of his argumentation. If he is only saying these things because he's some hyper-nationalistic fringe-whacko, show all the places where his arguments fall apart, it should be easy for an unbiased observer!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I still think you're just red herringing the conversation; it doesn't matter what Minx's post history is for the purposes of this discussion and the validity of his argumentation. If he is only saying these things because he's some hyper-nationalistic fringe-whacko, show all the places where his arguments fall apart, it should be easy for an unbiased observer!
    How about the fact that he's engaging in a nationalist diatribe on a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic? Sure, Ogre started it, but no one forced Minx to take the bait.
    Hope is the denial of reality

We got there through a discussion about values and beliefs pertaining to social change.

My problems with Swedish society come up in discussions I have with people who live here. For the most part, those problems aren't particularly relevant to the discussions in which I get involved here on the forum. Perhaps you'd like me to sprinkle my posts with criticisms of Swedish society; with apologies both pre-emptive and belated; with phrases that express humility... but I don't think I'd be particularly well served by doing so.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    And if, for the purposes of this discussion, he had been speaking of Norvay or Vinland?
    Norway is an interesting case... it's richer than Sweden, but, in terms of quality of healthcare, it seems to be lagging behind. That is at least the impression I've gotten from those of my friends who've worked in Norwegian hospitals. Just goes to show, it's not just about the money.

Yeah, that's why I'm been praising the American education system, the wisdom of the American voter, the ability of American politicians to solve problems, etc.
    Gotta side with Loki here. I don't recall him ever being a nationalist cheerleader. Now, bring up Marketz and that's another story.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I think it's clear that that line of conversation, at least from where I was standing, was about what's okay or not okay to say.
    So are you saying you didn't say it should be illegal? Wow. You are pathetic.

You don't seem to get it. After all these years you still haven't understood that financial superiority isn't the one single goal I think we should strive for, above all other goals. In spite of your nation's financial strength your populace is suffering from poor mental and physical health, poor education, teen pregnancy, etc etc. I don't want my country to emulate that. Ffs you guys can't even manage to provide high-quality cell-phone services
    And you don't understand that without financial strength, you can't do anything else because you simply can't afford it. How stupid do you have to be, then again I am dealing with you so I'm not surprised.

Way to take the high road
    You thought that was rude.... oh noes... did I hurt Minxie's wittle feelwings. For someone who tries to come off as smarter then everybody, I love how you are always quick to personally attack those who don't agree with you. I simply asked a question. Oh, well, I tried to keep it at least partially professional.

I love how you like to make choices for other with their money, with their hard work. As I've said before, and yeah, I'm calling you out... It's easy, real easy to be generous with other people's money. To your plan to do what you want with my hard earned money, I say fuck you.

I earned it, if I choose to do something charitable with it, so be it.

Last year I spent over 200 hours on Habitat for Humanity? Heard of it? Why, because I enjoy giving back to specific charities, those that try to weed out fraud.... unlike you with your willy nilly let's help everyone approach. All your approach does it help perpetuate laziness. The single mom who's on welfare? Hell, have another kid, the government will pay for it.

I worked on MLK day this year. I day I was given off from work. What did I do, I donated my day to help restore an old building to be used for a school.

I did Hands on Atlanta (although that wasn't really work, it was just painting all day). I do the Walk for LIfe every year. I go out of my way to be a liaison between my employer and fundraisers? Why, because I give back.... rather then use the government to take by force someone's property, I give on my own free will.

I give blood every time I'm able to help the Red Cross. I'm supposed to go to the hospital at the end of the month to donate platelets <sp>.

I coach upward soccer for the kids (specifically my nieces team, but it still kids).

Why else do I say this... well point blank, it's because I'm better then you. Not only do I contribute to society's bottom line by making a very nice penny and giving it back via taxes, I also freely donate my time to do so. And I don't try to FORCE others to do so. You're nothing more then a limp dick bed wetting cry baby who gets all huffy and puffy when they don't get their way. I stand by my assertion you were beaten as a kid, either by other kids, or by your parents, or perhaps both. It's the only way I can even try to explain why you are such a bitch.

And honestly Minx, I feel sorry for you.
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    So are you saying you didn't say it should be illegal? Wow. You are pathetic.
    Can you or can't you read? I said cigarettes should be illegal, I didn't say being an asshole should be illegal. That entire exchange was about Tear getting upset enough to punch someone for saying inappropriate things and you blathering about your right to say inappropriate things. My position is that, while you have a right to say inappropriate things, I think it's right and proper to challenge you when you cross a line that's important to me. I don't speak Ogre so I'm not sure exactly where we're misunderstanding each other.

And you don't understand that without financial strength, you can't do anything else because you simply can't afford it.
    Is that why a number of European states that are financially weaker than the US are doing better than the US when it comes to mental and physical health, education, teen pregnancy, etc? What you don't understand is that it's not enough to simply have the money, you have to actively and constructively use that money as well. Hoping for some magical trickle-down benefits is a dumb and wasteful (not to mention clearly unreliable) way to do things.

You thought that was rude.... oh noes... did I hurt Minxie's wittle feelwings. For someone who tries to come off as smarter then everybody, I love how you are always quick to personally attack those who don't agree with you. I simply asked a question. Oh, well, I tried to keep it at least partially professional.

I love how you like to make choices for other with their money, with their hard work. As I've said before, and yeah, I'm calling you out... It's easy, real easy to be generous with other people's money. To your plan to do what you want with my hard earned money, I say fuck you.

I earned it, if I choose to do something charitable with it, so be it.

Last year I spent over 200 hours on Habitat for Humanity? Heard of it? Why, because I enjoy giving back to specific charities, those that try to weed out fraud.... unlike you with your willy nilly let's help everyone approach. All your approach does it help perpetuate laziness. The single mom who's on welfare? Hell, have another kid, the government will pay for it.

I worked on MLK day this year. I day I was given off from work. What did I do, I donated my day to help restore an old building to be used for a school.

I did Hands on Atlanta (although that wasn't really work, it was just painting all day). I do the Walk for LIfe every year. I go out of my way to be a liaison between my employer and fundraisers? Why, because I give back.... rather then use the government to take by force someone's property, I give on my own free will.

I give blood every time I'm able to help the Red Cross. I'm supposed to go to the hospital at the end of the month to donate platelets <sp>.

I coach upward soccer for the kids (specifically my nieces team, but it still kids).

Why else do I say this... well point blank, it's because I'm better then you. Not only do I contribute to society's bottom line by making a very nice penny and giving it back via taxes, I also freely donate my time to do so. And I don't try to FORCE others to do so. You're nothing more then a limp dick bed wetting cry baby who gets all huffy and puffy when they don't get their way. I stand by my assertion you were beaten as a kid, either by other kids, or by your parents, or perhaps both. It's the only way I can even try to explain why you are such a bitch.
    I can't for a second imagine that's what constitutes professionalism in the US today

It's good of you to get involved in all this charity work, and I'm sure it makes both you and those who benefit from the charity feel very good. I don't think that all of that leads to positive long-term social change however, which is what I'd like. We value different things--you value doing stuff to feel good about yourself and those you like. I value doing stuff to effectively bring about large-scale positive changes in my world. Perhaps you do want to see a lot of good developments in society but it's clear from where I'm standing that you are more keen on keeping in place major obstacles to those changes.

I remain baffled by how Ogre, Lewk, etc are so incredibly keen on affecting change through punishment, either directly or indirectly by witholding anything that may even remotely resemble a reward. Is this some sort of bizarre tenet central to modern Christianity??

EDIT:

Aha, FORCING people to participate in social development through publicly funded welfare and the like is BAD because it makes their contribution LESS GOOD, ie. not necessarily altruistic or due to faith, which is not desirable for the Christian. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Aimless; 03-16-2010 at 06:43 AM.

I remain baffled by how Ogre, Lewk, etc are so incredibly keen on affecting change through punishment, either directly or indirectly by witholding anything that may even remotely resemble a reward. Is this some sort of bizarre tenet central to modern Christianity??
    Christianity is big on punishment. Hell and all. Earthquakes and hurricanes. Soldiers dying on the battlefield as blood payment for abortions. You know.

Might have something to do with American culture too; how we're raised and all. I know I naturally gravitate toward punishment. Could be envy/resentment of other people's lifestyles. I dunno.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Surely if a person is exposed to too much punishment and not enough reward (incentive?) then that person could become bitter and twisted - and by extension if a society focuses too heavily on punishment and not enough on reward (incentive?) then doesn't that society also risk becoming bitter and twisted?
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Surely if a person is exposed to too much punishment and not enough reward (incentive?) then that person could become bitter and twisted -
    That's what happened to me. I'm more twisted than bitter. (but I hide it well )
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    That's what happened to me. I'm more twisted than bitter. (but I hide it well )
    Since Rettib isn't twisted at all, that's not very hard to do.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Since Rettib isn't twisted at all, that's not very hard to do.
    Bitter don't seem all that bitter neither.
    The Rules