Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Please, for Zalgo's sake, keep threads from becoming insultfests in D&D...

Angry Please, for Zalgo's sake, keep threads from becoming insultfests in D&D...

...if you feel like you really, really have to get the last insult in, use a PM.

It doesn't really make us look professional at all when the summary list on the front page is mainly people bashing Loki or Tear...

...that is all.
    . . .

Dungeons and Dragons?

I thought people bashing Loki and Tear has been status quo for years now..(not condoning it, mind you)

By all means, must look professional....

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons?
    Debate and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    By all means, must look professional....
    If this is sarcasm and you feel that way, then you're perfectly welcome to not post in that forum...you're perfectly welcome to spam insults here in GC...
    . . .

So now we're trying to make D&D family friendly? Where have I heard that shit before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Zalgo?

Not every one knows that recent posts show up at the Home Page margin.....

I didn't know that until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    So now we're trying to make D&D family friendly? Where have I heard that shit before?
    Family Friendly != Turning an entire thread into a back and forth "I know you are but what am I" pissing match...

Frankly this is because of Nessus' attempt at a thread (after having complained that threads getting shitted in is ruining TWF) which would have been interesting to discuss but is now a cesspit of people insulting Loki or Tear, or people pointing out that other people are insulting Loki and Tear...fun stuff...
    . . .

There seems to be a general consensus that any sort of rules or limitations are bad, snoisulli.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Oh Debate & Discussion, duh.
    (Failed my saving throw against Perception)

Thought this was some gaming mishap where Tear was rolling loaded D20's and Loki was nicking more than his share of treasure and trying to convince everyone that "no, copper is worth MORE than gold, see?"

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    There seems to be a general consensus that any sort of rules or limitations are bad, snoisulli.
    This isn't a rule or limitation as much as it is asking people to use some common sense and impulse control...
    . . .

Hmm... now that you say it...
    Hey Loki, you are a */-+)(&%%&$ ... but you are a very smart */-+)(&%%&$

Illusions does have a good point.

Since we're still finding our way and still would like more members, we have to think about how we present ourselves. I say this with the foul taste of hypocrisy in my mouth since you'd only have to look at some of my recent, less fortunate, discussions (think monkeysabering) with Loki on American Politics or with ][ear on metal.

On an established forum like Atari we had a little more leeway to let 'er rip than I feel we should have in D&D. It's called Debate and Discussion after all. I can be just as guilty at times, and I wouldn't mind being told to take my personal problems to GC.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Oh, so we should import the old Timmy's forum modding here?
    Look how professional Timmy's forum looks now.

Wasn't freedom of speech the cool factor of this forum?
    If you want to look professional I can point you to several forums elsewhere...

Why don't you go fuck yourself, dipshit?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Family Friendly != Turning an entire thread into a back and forth "I know you are but what am I" pissing match...
    A modicum of self-moderation would do wonders. I don't see the need to 'look professional', but flame wars are tedious to read and dilute the interesting content. Are there any good reasons for flaming in public?

Frankly this is because of Nessus' attempt at a thread (after having complained that threads getting shitted in is ruining TWF) which would have been interesting to discuss but is now a cesspit of people insulting Loki or Tear, or people pointing out that other people are insulting Loki and Tear...fun stuff...
    Since I agree, I've removed my 'pointing out' post.

Till it dies down, you may enjoy classifying the participants.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    A modicum of self-moderation would do wonders. I don't see the need to 'look professional', but flame wars are tedious to read and dilute the interesting content. Are there any good reasons for flaming in public?
    Since the serious section is connected to the blog that we hope will eventually begin producing new members, I don't actually think it is unreasonable to expect it to look semi-professional.

If it is all just a free-for-all, then, once again, remove the separate sections. As it is it doesn't seem to matter what goes where.

Since the serious section is connected to the blog that we hope will eventually begin producing new members, I don't actually think it is unreasonable to expect it to look semi-professional.
    Who is 'we', in this context?
    As it is it doesn't seem to matter what goes where.
    ...as the Bishop said to the choir boy.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Why don't you go fuck yourself, dipshit?
    That is an expression of freedom, but it has no depth in content.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Who is 'we', in this context?
    We had a very long discussion about this in a thread in the site discussion section. I'm sure you can find it if you try.

...as the Bishop said to the choir boy.
    Cute...

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    That is an expression of freedom, but it has no depth in content.
    You're the fucking moron who can't figure out that a thread about a movie award show doesn't remotely qualify as a serious discussion about a serious topic, and you want to discuss depth in content?

Hell, 99% of what you say makes no sense at all. I should just join the sensible people of this forum and put your dumb ass on ignore so you'll eventually go away again and make everyone happy.

Ar81, please stop dragging Timmy all over the forum?

Pre-empt:
    No, this is a request. No force will be applied. Just appreciation.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Whoops.

Well, I guess I screwed that one up.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I'm trying different things to connect.

If this doesn't work, I'll try music with light patterns.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Illusions does have a good point.

Since we're still finding our way and still would like more members, we have to think about how we present ourselves. I say this with the foul taste of hypocrisy in my mouth since you'd only have to look at some of my recent, less fortunate, discussions (think monkeysabering) with Loki on American Politics or with ][ear on metal.

On an established forum like Atari we had a little more leeway to let 'er rip than I feel we should have in D&D. It's called Debate and Discussion after all. I can be just as guilty at times, and I wouldn't mind being told to take my personal problems to GC.
    The atmosphere over at the old joint was also a product of years (feel so old ) of slow development, boiling and festering into the turgid mess that it ended up being. Everyone with grudges against half the regulars, we were just (ab)using a web service set up by some failing company. This time it's just us.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Having to call it D&D is yet another reason to rename it.

But this thread brings up a worthy point. Civility is niiiiice.

You're the fucking moron who can't figure out that a thread about a movie award show doesn't remotely qualify as a serious discussion about a serious topic, and you want to discuss depth in content?

Hell, 99% of what you say makes no sense at all. I should just join the sensible people of this forum and put your dumb ass on ignore so you'll eventually go away again and make everyone happy.
    It qualified for headline at Reuters.
    It generated enough controversy to be called D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post

But this thread brings up a worthy point. Civility is niiiiice.
    Would you prefer if it was called the "Boring Discussion with Some Musings" instead?

...if you feel like you really, really have to get the last insult in, use a PM.

It doesn't really make us look professional at all when the summary list on the front page is mainly people bashing Loki or Tear...

...that is all.
    Who's bashing Tear? I must have missed it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I don't think a space sim fan can call lolnerds on role-players

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

If this is sarcasm and you feel that way, then you're perfectly welcome to not post in that forum...you're perfectly welcome to spam insults here in GC...
    Oh, is this an order?

Apparently we need to keep things ... sanitized. Am I paraphrasing you correctly? Reinstate the curse filter, OK? Oh, and bring Timmy over from Atari to impose ludicrous and arbitrary ethical standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Who's bashing Tear? I must have missed it.
    You?

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Oh, is this an order?
    Not really, its a suggestion...

Apparently we need to keep things ... sanitized. Am I paraphrasing you correctly? Reinstate the curse filter, OK? Oh, and bring Timmy over from Atari to impose ludicrous and arbitrary ethical standards.
    I think some serious brain damage would need to be present in order to equate "Stop acting like children insulting each other on the playground in what is supposed to be a forum for discussing topics in an adult manner" with "LOLZ ATARI FAMILY FRIENDLY DISCUSSION ONLY PERMITTED HERE!!!"...are you seriously brain damaged? I don't imagine you are, so maybe the problem lies elsewhere...

In case you're really slow at absorbing this:

Discussing prostitution in Thailand, how it relates to the local economy, the sexual mores of Thailand, etc. = professional/acting like adults

Calling someone a whore because you disagree with their opinion/style of debate = unprofessional/childish
    . . .