Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone to Samsung S5 or Note 4?

Default iPhone to Samsung S5 or Note 4?

After 6 years with iPhone I'm switching to Samsung. I contemplated it last time here but didn't see anything clearly superior that made it worth the hassle of switching, the S4 launched since changed that as the first phone I thought as being clearly better and the S5 has only further widened the gap. iPhones were a great leap forward six years ago when I got the 3G but I'm now due for renewal and won't be getting my fourth iPhone in a row as basically there's been bugger all change and development in that time. I'm in my final month of my contract so can now upgrade immediately without penalty.

My only question is which to switch for. Torn between the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which is due to be announced next month. From what I've read the Note 3 was better than the S4, so I'd expect the Note 4 to be better than the S5. I generally like bigger screens too, but I'm concerned as to whether the Note is too big to be a comfortable phone or not.

Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The GNote 4 is likely to be similar in dimensions to the GNote 3, so first step would be to hold the Note 3 and the S5 in your hands and think hard about how you like the way each feels.

For my part, unless you have specific use-cases for which a Note would (to you) seem ideal, I'd recommend getting something you can hold and operate with one hand.

In which ways do the Notes feel better to you? Is it just the larger display, or is it more about hardware, performance etc, or is it the note-taking?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    You should also consider the fact that phablets are problematic to carry - the pockets in your trousers are right out, as are the pockets in your shirt.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I once saw a guy at Starbucks using some kind of VoIP application on his iPad (no, not the mini one!). Holding it like a normal phone...

To be fair, phablets may make accessories such as a nice bluetooth headset a lot more useful is that something you use today, RB?

Nope I hate headsets lol.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I have the S4 and I find the screen comfortably large; bigger than that would probably be cumbersome. I should warn you that I've experienced some minor hardware issues with my S4, mostly dealing with how it interacts with SD cards. In general it's pretty robust, though, and I find it definitely superior to my wife's iPhone 5. A few cons of the S4: battery life isn't all that great (and the power saving feature is sometimes a bit too aggressive in shutting down apps), and most of the 'cool' new things are gimmicky and not very useful (e.g. face recognition, eye tracking, etc.). That being said, I generally like it.

I assume this is largely similar for the S5; can't really speak to the Note. I believe my father in law has a Note of some version, but I never played with it. It was indeed ungaily in its size, though.

Yeah, I shied away from the Lumia 1520 for that reason - was too big for my taste. The 925 does what I want and still fits into my pockets.

I generally keep my phone in my trouser pockets so that would be a deal breaker for me, the iPhone 5 fits very comfortably currently and think there's space for something bigger. I generally have my car keys in one pocket and phone in the other, rarely keep anything else in my pockets (I've had my iPhone in a case with card slots so it doubles as a wallet, I'd expect you can get the same for the Samsung's).

Then a phablet is out.

Isn't there a Samsung Galaxy 6 coming out soon?

I've tended to prefer the stock Android phones out there because I have an irrational fear of carrier-installed apps, but increasingly I find folks love their Samsungs and they seem pretty clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post

I've tended to prefer the stock Android phones out there because I have an irrational fear of carrier-installed apps, but increasingly I find folks love their Samsungs and they seem pretty clean.
    Some time ago I decided I wanted to get out of the iphone/samsung stranglehold and started looking for a decent Chinese phone. Found it in the Zopo zp990+, which cost me €330,- and is serving me quite well; it has room for 2 sims, is octa-core and virtually never freezes up, has decent battery life and basically is a good phone at a reasonable price. One thing that annoys me is that they don't have upgraded the OS to Kitkat yet, but I may start looking into rooting and installing a custom rom.
    Congratulations America

No the S series tends to get released in the Spring. I don't want to wait six months for the next one.

Is the phablet definitely out for trousers? I've heard mixed opinions on that and it's hard to test personally.

Why is it hard to test? Walk into the next mobile shop and ask them if you could test the sizes regarding your pockets.

If you don't want to do that: The measurements of the phones are available online, take some thick cardboard and cut it accordingly. That's 5 minutes tops and you'll know for sure afterwards.

I already think my xperia z is on the edge of what fits in my pockets, to be honest. And I would hate a phone that I couldn't control with one hand.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    No the S series tends to get released in the Spring. I don't want to wait six months for the next one.

Is the phablet definitely out for trousers? I've heard mixed opinions on that and it's hard to test personally.
    I'm hearing pretty consistent rumors that there's a Galaxy S6 coming out around the same time as the iPhone 6. Samsung intends to compete while people are in-market for a phone while advertising themselves as a real alternative.

I think it's worth trying to test a phablet in your pants. I've always been surprised at how I've gotten used to larger phones in my pants, but you never know until you try. Also, not sure how much other stuff you have in your pants (wallet, keys, etc). I've certainly liked having smaller phones as I feel a bit less encumbered. If you can't get to a store, I suppose you could fold/cut a stack of paper into a roughly phablet-size rectangle...

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Why is it hard to test? Walk into the next mobile shop and ask them if you could test the sizes regarding your pockets.
    I've done that today, it fits and I could sit down properly, there was a visible bulge but I don't think that's a problem (there is with the iphone and heck if I'm being formal I'd probably wear a jacket).
    If you don't want to do that: The measurements of the phones are available online, take some thick cardboard and cut it accordingly. That's 5 minutes tops and you'll know for sure afterwards.
    That's actually not a bad idea. Cardboard would be a tad too flexible, but something like that would work well! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I already think my xperia z is on the edge of what fits in my pockets, to be honest. And I would hate a phone that I couldn't control with one hand.
    The one-hand issue doesn't bother me too much.
    I'm hearing pretty consistent rumors that there's a Galaxy S6 coming out around the same time as the iPhone 6. Samsung intends to compete while people are in-market for a phone while advertising themselves as a real alternative.
    Not heard anything like that. The Note is typically released at the same time as the iPhone, Samsung have even sent out marketing info to journalists with the caption "Note the date" which is a pretty big hint as to what its for. I'd be surprised if they broke the pattern and released two of the S series in the same year.
    I think it's worth trying to test a phablet in your pants. I've always been surprised at how I've gotten used to larger phones in my pants, but you never know until you try. Also, not sure how much other stuff you have in your pants (wallet, keys, etc). I've certainly liked having smaller phones as I feel a bit less encumbered. If you can't get to a store, I suppose you could fold/cut a stack of paper into a roughly phablet-size rectangle...
    Keys in one pocket, phone-wallet in the other. My phone is my wallet (get slim wallet style phone case for my cards to go into) and I don't carry cash.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

My almost 6 incher goes comfortably in my pockets.
    Congratulations America

I'm sorry I'm immature but that was amusing

Thanks though.

Scumbags got your dirty minds backwards, in my pocket ????
    Congratulations America

Is that a Galaxy Note in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.

So much money spent keeping up with the Joneses and Johnsons, huh.

No extra money at all.

Upgrades come free with contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    No extra money at all.

Upgrades come free with contract.
    No such thing as a "free" contract, though.

I'm amazed by the amounts of money people will pay for their smart phones AND their limited contracts with service providers.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    No such thing as a "free" contract, though.
    If all UK contracts are similar in this respect then you don't pay extra money compared to other contracts for upgrading your phone. Instead you pay extra money compared to not having a phone service at all. I do of course prefer a system that allows phones and phone services to be separated if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    If all UK contracts are similar in this respect then you don't pay extra money compared to other contracts for upgrading your phone. Instead you pay extra money compared to not having a phone service at all. I do of course prefer a system that allows phones and phone services to be separated if desired.
    Well, you can generally get a somewhat cheaper contract for sim-only.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Where did Ominous go, as the only other tech savvy member of these forums?

There will be released an iPhone 6, possibly two versions, on September the 9th. Rumors say 4.7 inch model and 5.5 inch phablet model.

Now I know for sure that when looking at the LG G3, which is as slim as you get for a 5.5 inch model, I had to re-adjust my grip when reaching to the edges of the phone. A phablet like the Note, will be even less manageable. For comfort, I think we'll see that most producers will start to set limitations to 5.0 - 5.2 inch displays, being the epitome of what is practical and handy in use. It's funny how small increments make such a difference, but if you have ever had the chance to try phones in stores, you'll realize exactly that. Size matters.

Without a sliver of doubt, the value phone these days is the LG G2. It runs a Snapdragon 800 (slightly worse than current 801 models), great battery, great camera, great 5.2 inch screen with thin bezels. Being last gen, I subconsciously chose not to give it any serious thought before I checked out phones in the store - where I could barely distinguish it from the Galaxy S5 - just at a much lower price.

I ended up getting the HTC One M8 when I found it "used" (technically, it had been used one month and appeared brand new). Coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3, and having compared it extensively to the Galaxy S5, I would much rather prefer this phone in the luxurious phone market.

So for me it's a toss up between LG G2 and HTC One M8, with the definite recommendation that you wait for the release of iPhone 6 the 9th of September, just to scope things out.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

I think most members of this forum are quite tech-savvy Kazuha.

Watched the video stream for the Note 4 release and while it looked cool didn't see anything that especially wowed me. Waited a few days for further details to come out and it seems that the new Note 4 is not waterproof etc like the S5 is. I appreciate its a different model blah, blah, blah but that was a major selling point to me for the S5 and I'm surprised the more expensive and more premium bigger model is omitting that feature. With a newborn the risks of an accident happening (or baby slobber) are higher and so combined with the size issue that has made my decision.

Heading out later today to pick up an S5. Over six years of being an iPhone customer comes to an end. Thanks for the advice everyone.