Page 102 of 189 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Khen, you seem to have more than your fair share of kidney stones, especially for a young and healthy person! Are they calcium deposits...related to your diet or endocrine system...or what? Most people don't develop kidney stones from simple dehydration.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Some type of Calciumoxalate. Most likely a genetic thing and nothing I can fix through a special diet.

And, no, dehydration does not cause it - but it allows the stones to build up because they're not flushed out early enough.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Have you seen a nephrologist? It sounds odd that a 'genetic thing' can be treated by simply drinking lots of water.....

Took this week off from work to help recharge the batteries...and cam down with some horrendous cold/flu yesterday...I could only play 1 hour of Skyrim before going back to bed!
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Have you seen a nephrologist? It sounds odd that a 'genetic thing' can be treated by simply drinking lots of water.....
    I've been in the hospital before and they analyzed one of the stones - which is how I know that it's Calciumoxalate. It's the most common type of kidney stone and does not have a clear cause. Plus, my blood work is absolutely normal.

And you don't treat it by drinking water - you flush the stones out before they become too big by drinking more water than usual. Every human being produces kidney stones - it's just that for most people they don't become big enough to cause problems. And with "genetic" I meant that it's probably hereditary - my mother had some problems as well in the kidney department.

From the history of it, I seem to average a stone every two years or so.

Gosh, it doesn't sound quite right for a young male to have kidney stones at all, let alone one every two years, Khen. Those aren't just incredibly painful events that can "pass", but a clue that something else has gone awry in your body. I hope you take it one step further and see an Endocrinologist for more precise diagnostics.

As I said, they already did a boatload of diagnostics in the hospital. There's nothing special about me in that regard. Everything works normal, safe for the tendency to gum up the works every two years

A friend of mine, who hasn't spoken with me in around 5 years, other than the annual Facebook "Happy Birthdays!", messaged me to ask if I still knew how to build websites, and design graphics. I answered that I sort of do, forwarded him to my portfolio site as an example, in the hopes that this was a potential job offer (since he is a manager at the company he works for). I was mistaken. It would be for a personal promotional website (since he is in sales, it would be to increase and improve his internet presence), it would need to be done ASAP, and there has been no mention of financial reimbursement yet (could possibly come up in future correspondences, but has not been mentioned in the two thus far). Personally, this comes off as incredibly ballsy to ask someone you haven't spoken to in 5 years to invest a significant amount of time and effort into promoting yourself to improve your own income. I've already turned down several requests to build websites for people I speak with more frequently, since the turn around time would be longer than is feasible with also having a full time job, and not actually specializing in website design/maintenance/building etc.

If I were to go forward with this, it would also stifle any plans that I had for the new year in the way of selling some (by "some" I mean, investigating the potential feasibility of this becoming a part-time side business operating from home) of my homemade art and craft things to supplement my income. This part I am far more enthused about, as making these things and seeing people enjoy them is very fulfilling (however so far they've been given out for free to friends, family, etc).

So...

TL;DR: Friend who I haven't spoken with in 5 years randomly messages me because he needs someone to build him a personal website for personal advertisement purposes.
    . . .

Is the issue more that you don't want to do it at all, or that you want to get paid for it?

you better give him what he wants before he starts camping out at your place #occupyillusions
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Is the issue more that you don't want to do it at all, or that you want to get paid for it?
    I don't particularly find website building enjoyable, and payment isn't being discussed, so what this would be is me trading my limited free time, which could be used to either enjoy life, or potentially increase my income, for a task that accomplishes neither of things, but instead provides a friend, who hasn't spoken with me, until now, in 5 years, with a self promotional website, to further their sales career, and by extension increase their income. It seems illogical and counterproductive, but also selfish...which is why its messing with my groove. But I'm also aware that my personal gauge of what is and is not selfish, is abnormal, hence why I'm hoping to get feedback.
    . . .

I'd say be up front with him about not really having the time to do free work like that. Maybe embellish the reasoning though, to spare his feelings. Say that you have too much going on right now, and can't really afford to miss deadlines to do work on his website.

It might be a bit selfish, but you need to take care of yourself before you can start taking care of other people. His request is more selfish anyways; I don't think I could ask even a close friend of mine to do something like that for me without offering them payment.

So, got Brent Metal of Honor for Christmas. He goes to redeem the online pass and is told that its invalid. A short google later I find out that for some retarded reason EA's online passes expire. "all" you have to do is contact EA for a free replacement. Which so far has shown to be bullshit. The following conversation via their online chat support took over an hour to wrap up, I'm still waiting on a call back from their phone option (they call you, no numbers provided), and their twitter account stopped responding once I provided proof that this is a legit request.

All the ***s are put into the chatlog by EA, this is exactly how it was emailed to me.

General Info
    Chat start time Jan *****, ***** *****:*****:***** AM EST
    Chat end time Jan *****, ***** *****:*****:***** PM EST

Duration (actual chatting time) *****:*****:*****

Operator Jasmeet

Chat Transcript

info: Your approximate wait time is ***** minute.
    info: Your approximate wait time is ***** minute.
    info: You are now ready to chat with Hitender.
    you: the online pass code included with my PS***** copy of medal of honor does not work
    you: i need a valid code
    you: hello?
    Hitender: Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is Hitender how may I help you?
    you: the online pass code included with my PS***** copy of medal of honor does not work
    Hitender: I can understand your concern. Please don&#*****;t worry, I will try my best to help you out.&#*****;
    Hitender: May&#*****;I&#*****;know&#*****;from&#*****;where& #*****;did&#*****;you&#*****;purchase the&#*****;game/
    you: Target
    Hitender: In&#*****;that&#*****;situation,&#*****;I&#*****;w ould&#*****;suggest&#*****;to&#*****;you&#*****;pl ease&#*****;contact to&#*****;Target.
    you: no. that does not work
    you: your codes expired, i need a new one
    you: i can&#*****;t take the game back because you put expired codes in your game
    you: i just need a valid online pass
    Hitender: so&#*****;I&#*****;would&#*****;request&#*****;to& #*****;you&#*****;please&#*****;contact&#*****;to& #*****;our&#*****;warranty&#*****;department.&#*** **;
    you: how?
    you: cause this is all over the internet, and EA has responded to contact your support for a valid code
    you: one example: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/03/ea...but-it-should/
    you: hello?
    you: i&#*****;m still here
    Hitender: Ye
    Hitender: Yes.
    you: how do i contact someone who knows how to get me a valid pass
    you: how to reach warranty support?
    Hitender: The warranty provided on the back of the manual included with Battlefield ***** is incorrect.
    Hitender: The proper address for warranty returns remains:
    Hitender: &#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&# *****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#** ***;&#*****;
    Hitender: EA WWCE Warranty Department
    Hitender: ***** N I-***** Suite *****
    Hitender: Austin, TX *****
    you: i don&#*****;t have bf*****
    you: and i&#*****;m not mailing a letter off
    you: i need you to provide me with a valid online pass. please
    you: are you able to provide any worthwhile help to my issue?
    info: There may be a problem communicating with Hitender. Please wait while your chat is transferred to another EA Expert.
    info: You are now ready to chat with Jasmeet.
    Jasmeet: Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is Jasmeet how may I help you?
    you: the online pass for my ps***** copy of medal of honor is no longer valid
    you: i need a new one
    you: this is allover the internet, you have a problem with the passes expiring, and EA&#*****;s replies to the news stories are to contact support for a valid pass
    Jasmeet: On which platform are you playing the game ?
    you: Playstation *****, as I mentioned above
    Jasmeet: Can i have the psn id.
    you: email is ominous.gamer@gmail.com one sec for me to get what the id is
    Jasmeet: I mean the PSN ID.
    you: Om*****nousG
    Jasmeet: Thank you.
    Jasmeet: From where did you bought the game ?
    you: Target
    Jasmeet: Have you contacted them regarding the online pass ?
    you: they have nothing to do with it. its the slip of paper that came packaged inside the game case
    you: they can&#*****;t provide me with a new one
    Jasmeet: Please give me just a moment while I look into this further.
    Jasmeet: All right, I have consulted the supervisor and I will be making a one time exception and will be providing you with the online pass code.
    you: thank you
    Jasmeet: Welcome.
    Jasmeet: Please wait.
    Jasmeet: This code grants access to online play on the PS***** version of Medal of Honor. C*****D-*****HNG-*****BFA
    Jasmeet: please try it and let me know.
    you: trying now, ***** minute
    Jasmeet: Sure.
    you: same error, &#*****;not correct or no longer valid&#*****;
    Jasmeet: Please give me just a moment while I look into this further.
    Jasmeet: Could you please try it again.
    Jasmeet: Where are you trying to redeem it ?
    you: in the playstation store via my ps*****
    Jasmeet: Okay.
    Jasmeet: Please try it again.
    you: alright, one minute
    Jasmeet: Sure.
    you: restarted ps*****, entered the code C*****D-*****HNG-*****BFA, still get same error
    Jasmeet: okay.
    Jasmeet: What I&#*****;ll be doing is , I&#*****;ll be sending your request to our senior support team and then they will
    be getting back to you via e-mail after investigating the issue , Our senior support is quite capable
    of handling these issues,
    you: guess thats better than nothing...
    Jasmeet: i&#*****;m so sorry but at the moment that is the best possible option.
    you: understood, thanks for trying
    Jasmeet: Welcome.
    Jasmeet: Thank you for contacting EA. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    you: nope
    Jasmeet: If you need help with anything else, please feel free to contact us anytime!
    Jasmeet: Goodbye and take care.
    info: Your chat transcript will be sent to ominous.gamer@gmail.com at the end of your chat session.
    god damn cunts
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Triple interview at 2pm for a contract role as a workstream lead.

I've got a stinking cold and haven't slept, just when I really, really need a clear head.

GOD, WHY DO YOU HATE ME!

I am beginning to suspect a lot of what comes before the bile is blood, at this stage.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Seems some fool wanted to blow up parts of my city.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45928572...ld-tampa-plot/

With idiots like that, and the GOP coming to town, this year to going to suck around here.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

What is it with Kosovars trying to blow up Americans (second time in a year). I thought we were really popular there.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Reddit is going dark on the 18th, and there have rumors going around for days of google and facebook pulling a similar stunt. to bring attention to how crazy evil SOPA/PIPA is.

I'm supposed to work on the 18th. What the fuck am I supposed to do with myself all day?!

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    As I said, they already did a boatload of diagnostics in the hospital. There's nothing special about me in that regard. Everything works normal, safe for the tendency to gum up the works every two years
    Well, to follow up: This one was a double-whammie. Actually had to go to the hospital for this nasty bugger.

Had to sleep in the hallway because they had to quarantine parts of the clinic (nothing really serious, though). Got to experience the wonders of morphine for the first time - good stuff. But I'm also at home again - the stone's still there but we (as in: the doctors and me) figured that lying around with no pain due to medication could be achieved anywhere If the stone's not gone in two weeks then they'll consider other options (like, going in with an endoscope and shattering it with laser).

And the only food advice they were able to give: Black tea with milk only (the Calcium of milk precipitates with the Oxalic acid of the tea to the solid Calcium oxalate). Other than that - no dice.

Then again, doctors can be pretty stupid, too. As I stated in the previous post, the stone is still in there. This means that at some point I would at least once experience some more colics. I then asked: "Yeah, okay, no big problem if you give me some pain medication?"

Thus I got a receipe for Diclofenac 50mg.

To make a long story short: Even the maximum allowable daily dose of 150mg (3 pills) is massively underpowered.

Metamizol-Sodium is much better - though I could've done without the trip to a different doctor (it's weekend, after all) in order to obtain that drug. I think I'll give the doctor responsible a piece of my mind the next time I see him. I mean, he was present when I got morphine for my first trip to the hospital - and then he thinks that a slightly better than headache-drug will take away the pain from a kidney colic?

WARNING do not read the following if you're in a foul mood

He was probably following local guidelines. Diclofenac (or equivalent) is what patients usually get sent home with here, and probably also in Germany. It's a potent analgesic, and, in most cases, it's about as good as opioids but with fewer side effects. It's also what we prefer to use in the ER for renal colic, although as an injection. For a few people--in some cases of unusually severe acute renal colic that doesn't abate after administration of diclofenac--we end up having to try opioids instead of or together with diclofenac.

Metamizole still carries a stigma due to its side-effects. Not sure how appropriate that may be but it's just the way it is, and it's been banned in many countries (and gone from being an OTC drug to a prescription drug in most of the countries where it remains available). In terms of analgetic effect, for most people and under most conditions it's equivalent to diclofenac.

If this makes you angry you're welcome to rage at me, it's after all none of my business and pain is a very tricky subject. I'm just posting this on the off chance that you're open to the possibility that your first doctor wasn't a total idiot even though he practices in Germany.

I'm not so much angry at the type of medicine he prescribed but rather the dosage, which was totally and completely insufficient.

I'm very sorry, I misread and thought he'd given you a prescription for the, er, alternate administration route

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Reddit is going dark on the 18th, and there have rumors going around for days of google and facebook pulling a similar stunt. to bring attention to how crazy evil SOPA/PIPA is.

I'm supposed to work on the 18th. What the fuck am I supposed to do with myself all day?!
    I take you don't read books...
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I don't read while working in the library...thats a bag I never want to open.

Yay! Snow!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Decided not to show up for an oral exam tomorrow. Have missed way too much this semester... the choice between embarrassing myself by having to postpone the exam on one hand, and embarrassing myself while also horrifying my examiners on the other hand... well, that's no choice at all. But this is a truly sucky start to my last semester of med-school

The very smart people that run the place that I work at have made some wonderful plans that really screw me. The plans revolve around the phenomenon of the 'digitized file'. It's a great step towards the paperless office for a company that consumes entire forests every year. I'd say that about 90% of all our files are digitized so that the documents can be accessed on a central server. The system works very nice, and because of it a lot less printer/copier capacity is needed. Also we work ants will need fewer assistants that do that copying. It will be a huge saving for society.

But for a little snag; the department where I work is dealing with actual physical files and there is no way around that. Lawyers and clients routinely demand a hard copy, as do the courts. That means that we do a lot more printing than the average department that was used to set printer/copier capacity. And when I say a lot more I am talking about at least 9 to 10 times more. It has created a situation where printing even something as simple as a letter can take you up to 5 minutes (thank got the coffee machine is right next to the printers) because there are always several people waiting in line to get their print jobs done.

The real stinker is though that since I work in the international department my source files are no digitized either, it's all hard-copy and that's the way I get them delivered. It was enough of a pain in the old situation; you'd have to select relevant documents, mark them after which an assistant would do the copying, sorting and numbering (for court). But, since 'we' are assumed to be working with digitized files, half of the assistants were axed and the remaining ones are no longer supposed to make copies (because 'we' don't need that any longer with digitized files).

It really pisses me off, because I know whenever I am going to bring up that it is ridiculous that I am burning money and time making copies for an hour or more (at one of too few printers) I also know they are just going to tell me that that is just temporary untill we reach full digitization of all files. That could easily take most of 2012 to happen. So for a good part of this year I am going to feel like an overpaid xerox-jockey.
    Congratulations America