Page 104 of 185 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    McClintic told the court she went along with whatever he said as she 'badly wanted to meet a good man'.

, <sigh>
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Got hit with a trojan off some site linked to on reddit (ad popup on quick meme or similar I'm assuming). Computer is acting fine now, but I'm considering nuking the OS from orbit and reinstalling. I also have a separate drive on the computer for data, of which the trojan turned the "hidden" attribute on for, which I then had to turn off. Due to paranoia I'm uncertain of what to do, or what kind of total damage I'm missing, or whether I got everything back to normal...

Nuking the OS drive for certainty.
    Last edited by Illusions; 03-18-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    . . .

My poor cat is having seizures.

Oh dear Norton I'm sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I don't really like having to tell some of my pupils that, if they continue on their current path, I only see a "D" as their ultimate grade.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

A/C at work "blew up good" overnight. Its 65F outside, and already hot as balls inside.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

A/C at work "blew up good" overnight. Its 65F outside, and already hot as balls inside.
    Day four, still no A/C, they are "promising" Friday.
    While its techinically not as hot as balls yet, topped out at 86 yesterday at my desk, the temp has climbed each day thus far. Admin took the digital thermometer out of the call center so we would stop talking about it.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Technically, balls are relatively cool, that's why they hang outside the body.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Technically, balls are relatively cool, that's why they hang outside the body.
    Yeah but some balls are hotter than others...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Attended the annual meeting of the med-students' union for the last time, this weekend. The board has been improving its work steadily over the past few years, and is now aiming for strategic, pro-active long-term campaigns. Last year, I got them to agree to drafting a document clarifying our views on the issue of med-students' mental health. Turns out they've done pretty much everything they're supposed to do except for that. The set-up for--and circumstances of--this year's meeting was such that they were easily able to dodge this without comment. Last year's decision is of course no longer binding. This year's board is a very good board, but not one that's particularly enthusiastic about addressing this issue. They feel they lack the knowledge and the means to do what I want them to do, even though all they really have to do is to (in accordance with our policy) contact a couple of very active and involved experts in Sthlm to get some help with drafting an opinion on publicly available research findings.

I am upset about this, but I'm mostly mad at myself. When I learned that they'd failed to perform this task, I was so upset that I could not clearly make my case before the assembly. The only upside is that I'm so mad about this that I'm launching my own little campaign to make sure that this problem is addressed.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Women.

Let out the tiniest chuckle during a rape scene, even if it's totally hilarious, and all of a sudden you're a monstrous pig.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Late nights like this, when insomnia kicks in, and my personal worries are tied to things beyond my control, like the New Economy post-Great Recession.

One son is a young adult, but hasn't flown the nest yet. He fluttered his wings for a while, but got caught between dreams, goals, and reality. He's become an angry and frustrated middle class young male, maneuvering uncharted territory, swallowing his pride by "moving back home with mom".

He uses comedy as a relief from his angst, and had a few "successes" that way, telling sardonic and self-loathing jokes in darkened piano-band bars, to audiences of mostly lonely men drowning their sorrows with pitchers of beer. Married men who feel lonely in their marriages, single men who feel lonely in their aloneness, but smug in feeling anything is better than living with their mother. A few women scattered here and there, but they don't laugh at his jokes like the guys do.

I've heard that comics are known to use pain that way, somehow turning their inner conflicts into an art form, communicating with strangers using humor. That doesn't bode well for the harmony in our household, though. Humor only goes so far when people live together, and life isn't meted out in 30 minute sets or being "On".

I wonder about the musicians, composers, writers, actors, dancers, media personalities, and performers in general...and their intimate relationships. And how my son will fare in that world as he continues on that path.

You should get him to see Louie
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Thanks, minx. He's seen it (but I haven't).

Earlier today I was at the county seat Tax Assessor and Claims Department, in the old court house. The security guy said, "there's been a line around the desk and into the hallway all day long." Eeep. But he assured everyone going through the metal detector that as long as we were in the building by 4:30pm, we wouldn't be turned away. Thus began an adventure with City Hall, where at least a dozen municipal employees were visible to the loooong line of tax payers....but "only two of them can process payments".

There was a row of five computers available to the public, but they can't be used to pay business/property/school taxes. Ding. People were complaining about having paid their tax assessment on time, but checks were returned for not being the exact amount, over-payments included. New home buyers had paid taxes in arrears on foreclosures or sheriff sales, only to find a new (higher) assessment in the mail. Some folks had applied for the Homestead deduction, but saw their taxes go up. Almost everyone in line had gotten a letter threatening liens on their homes or properties. Many had tried to take care of business on Friday, only to find the offices closed.

The woman next to me in line told me how she'd paid her taxes on-line, and it was deducted from her account almost immediately. But for some reason the holiday timing threw her into the delinquent category (five days minimum to process debit or credit cards).....and was expected to pay a late fee plus interest. She'd driven from her Harrisburg job earlier in the week, but no one could tell her what the FUCK was going on. She got a certified letter on Thursday, the offices were closed on Friday, and there she was.

Plus, there was a fricking BOMB THREAT earlier in the day, everyone was shuttled out for a few hours....business resuming as if nothing had happened. No expectation of people coming back later, huffing and puffing as if they'd run a mile from their parking space to the looong lines of tax payers, trying to get in the door before 4:30pm, or having more processors available to streamline the backlog. "Only two people can process these payments". WTF?

It's amazing what strangers will eventually talk about when stuck in looong bureaucratic lines. Someone said they understood the bomb threat, and maybe there should be another one but then a big burly guy with guns and badges made his presence known. It was hot, packed with irritated people trying to pay taxes while complaining about "our tax dollars--not at work!", seeing county employees meandering on the other side of glass (like road construction workers that have five guys doing nothing while one guy does something), little kids getting bored and fidgety, women holding placelines for bathroom breaks, people walking away after an hours' wait and either ranting or crying, or holding back their rants and tears....

So, to go get my driver's license reinstated I have to have: an original birth certificate, a valid picture ID, proof of residency, and proof of social security! Ok then, why does my friend who is a Colombian national only have to show his Colombian passport to get the same license? America is rapidly becoming a "show your papers" country!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Hi there, munchkin. That's a Wyoming-specific DMV complaint. The US has used birth certificates and SSN for decades, for all sorts of identification. Thank The Birther movement and anti-immigrant people for expecting more.

Thats not a state specific complaint. Thats part of the standards with the Real ID Act. Makes it a pain in the ass for the homeless to get IDs now, and even makes it rather difficult for married women to update their ID. Brandy had a bitch of a time switching her name because all of our paperwork is in my name. I can somewhat understanding accepting the passport, getting one of those in the US is an insane multiday process.

Then it should be interesting when my son gets his learner's permit, unless they count school photo ID as "valid".

That's what you get for not having a reliable and unique method of identification.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    That's what you get for not having a reliable and unique method of identification.
    I'm curious what Germany has as a "reliable and unique method of identification" for minors (under age 18).

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'm curious what Germany has as a "reliable and unique method of identification" for minors (under age 18).
    Easy: You get your identity card at age 16. Before that there's the so-called children's passport.

By the way: Weren't we talking about driving age and above? Identity card. Done.

I can somewhat understanding accepting the passport, getting one of those in the US is an insane multiday process.
    The only multi-day process was waiting for it to be mailed to me. When I had mine done, it took around an hour and a half. It would have been less than 15 minutes, but a few things conspired against me in doing it in that short of a time frame:

1) When I arrived at the Post Office to fill out the form, and submit my identification, there was only one person to work the window for Passports, and five other people had also decided to file at the same time so I had to wait in line.

2) I had to drive to a Rite-Aid to have my photo taken, wait at the photo center for an associate to be free to take my photo, wait for it to be printed, and then go back to the Post Office. They could have taken it at the Post Office, but the Postal Worker said that their camera and photo printing service would take a few hours to be completed, and I'd have to wait for a less busy time to have it taken, where-as they knew Rite-Aid could get it done in around 30 minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Please don't let Munchkin, GGT, and OG's cases make you think that obtaining proper identification in the US is difficult or backward. With Munchkin's case, the numerous forms of ID required are to verify that a person who is applying for a Driver's License that is going to be linked to a database stating that they are a U.S. Citizen, and Resident of Wyoming, who is Mrs. Smith, are really those things.

Besides, you can also get a non-driver ID at least here in NY.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Besides, you can also get a non-driver ID at least here in NY.
    You can get those in every state, the problem is the dumbfuck laws around who may have one. For example, in Ohio, one must provide documentation that they're a legal resident for any state ID. (Heard that a bunch of BMV employees got busted for *gasp* selling state IDs to illegal immigrants this week.) And, of course, that kind of dumbfuckery is becoming more common, but is completely eliminating illegal immigration and all problems associated with it, at least.

And pursuant to what the others have said, this is indeed causing problems for groups of people that may not have (or be able to obtain) their original birth certificates, SSID cards, etc. Hell, I've got at least 4 identities I can't get drivers licenses for anymore, and every time I write someone to complain, they try to have me arrested. This fucking country.

The Southern Baptist Coalition as a leading voice of Christian Conservatives, the Values Voters, and the Family Research Council. Their religious litmus test for POTUS isn't just offensive, but also full of hypocrisies.

They put us on warning that if this gets worse, county could activate the EOC. Apparently, we are about to get hit with whats left over from the storms that caused the tornadoes up north a few days ago

Kids and Brandy are stuck in Orlando too.

Yeah, weird weather all around. The east coast had an early Spring, cherry blossoms a couple of weeks premature, folks turning on the A/C in 85 degree early April. Then we had 30 degree nights and turning the heat back on. It's supposed to SNOW here today.

I read a commodity report saying corn growers are going to have to find/use new heat-tolerant and better drought-tolerant hybrid seeds, not just a few seasons from now...but right now.

Oh yeah, and in other news, some theorists claim that higher global temps will mean any melting of polar ice caps and higher ocean water levels will translate into more water evaporation into the atmosphere....making more rain clouds, more rain, and better crop yields.

I'm not an expert in any of those fields, but that sounds like a huge whitewash. Polar animals losing their habitats, oceans being de-salinized by rain water, and saltwater species becoming extinct....sounds like a crappy way to keep a planet vibrant and self-sustaining.

It's an even crappier motivation for food commodity speculators, who'd just as soon make money on food scarcity, or the global problems that hunger incites, as those who trade in energy commodities. Oil for food, food for oil, pick the political compartment, choose the army.
    Last edited by GGT; 04-23-2012 at 12:06 PM.

The weather didn't turn nasty like they feared, but it sure did rain. Dropped down to the 60s overnight and we shouldn't need the AC again until Wednesday.

------

Intel launched their new Ivy Bridge CPUs today, but so far it seems like a paper launch, so chips won't be in stores for another week, and there are reports that the model I was going for my be in short supply and come with a higher TDP than I was expecting

I had typed a reply in D & D and got the dreaded lock-up. Was it this site, my router, provider, computer...? Damn comcast

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I had typed a reply in D & D and got the dreaded lock-up. Was it this site, my router, provider, computer...? Damn comcast
    Your browser.

A fine woman, whom is a colleague at work, finally lost the battle to sCJD this morning. RIP - no longer will we have anyone to watch the Apache helicopters flying outside work with.