Page 104 of 189 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

They'd probably have been better of calling it the Wizard's stone, I guess. But whatever, it is what it is.

Loki, the first book could easily be read by an older elementary school kid (4th or 5th grade). When I read it (and was still a hater then, it took me years to give in) I felt it was very Roald Dahl-like; and I'd read many of his books when I was not yet 10. The older ones get much darker and more complicated. All of the books are in the 7-12 year range section at Barnes and Nobles.

Today's PSA:

If you're going to sleep in front of a government building please make sure you aren't carrying any illegal drugs, weapons, or have warrants out. Policy states we have to call the police on your napping ass, and when the police find the above listed bad things, you will end up in cuffs.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Sadly enough, he was probably hoping you'd call on him. Spending the night in jail with a meal and dry place to sleep is probably preferable to sleeping on the streets

So far, 2012 sucks in a lot of ways.

[rant]I've flat out had it with winter! Fucking snow and ice and wind and rain and snow and...the lawyer/insurance agent/county attorney who has the business right next door to the laundromat is a cheap, lazy fuckhead who refuses to shovel the city walk between the 2 businesses! I am going to send him a bill the first of the month for all these days I've had to shovel him out too!

Went to get my driver's license back last Wed (the only day the examiners are in BFE) only to find out I now need a picture ID, an original birth certificate, and an original Social Security card to get it! FFS, if I was here illegally, I could have taken the test and been done with it. Since I'm a US citizen, I have to show my fucking papers!! So here I sit, waiting for the great state of Wyoming to decide if they can issue me a new birth certificate. I'm in that unlucky age group where adoptions were closed and all the records sealed, including certified copies of my birth certificate. I asked the lady in Cheyenne if I needed to present myself in person to prove I am! She hung up on me!

Fucking medical clinic has, once again, fucked up the fax to renew my meds through Pfizer! So, here I sit with NO Lyrica, and about 3 days worth of Protonix and Premarin! I guess I need to go all bitch ass on Amber again! Goddammit, that takes too fucking much energy!

Once again, SRB has managed to amaze me! She is sending The Bear to live with The Thing, because, unsurprisingly, Bear has "issues" with The Bug and SRB! What I want to know is, how is a man who just today asked me to buy him a pack of cigarettes, supposed to support a 6 year old little girl?

Since I kicked Sugar Daddy to the curb back in Oct., he has made a general pest of himself every time he gets drunk! I actually had to call the law on him tonight! He was out in the hallway, banging on my door, hollering all kinds of shit...at 12:30AM! My neighbors at the moment include a 97 year old woman and a lady with a month old baby! They don't need that shit, and neither do I! He managed to run before the cops got here, went home and has called my phone every 3 minutes since. It's now 2:10AM! Jesus Christ, glad I don't have to get up in the morning!

What is it with doctors who can't listen? I told the local quack that I HAVE NO INSURANCE (yes I yelled it at him because he is hard of hearing and refuses to wear his hearing aids), so what does he tell me on the phone? I called you in a prescription so go pick it up when it's ready! I called the drug store to find out how much it is! FFS, I could buy smokes for a month, at $5 per day, for what a bottle of pills for a week would cost!

[/rant]
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...ence-class.ars

Indiana Senate passes bill putting religion in science class

Yesterday, after almost no debate, the Indiana State Senate approved a bill that would allow its schools to teach the origin stories of various religions when a class touches on the origin of life. It now moves on to the state's House, where one of its cosponsors is currently the Speaker of the House.

Although the bill as written could be used to create a comparative religion class, its sponsor, Senator Dennis Kruse, has made it clear that he hopes to see it foster the teaching of creationism in science classes. The original text of the bill explicitly mentioned creation science; it has since been modified to mention a variety of religions, including Scientology. In a brief interview, Kruse expressed disdain for evolution, calling it a "Johnny-come-lately" theory.

As with many sponsors of bills of this sort, Kruse is apparently unaware of what evolution describes (hint: it's not the origin of life) and of the scientific meaning of the word "theory," which is not broad enough to encompass religious teachings. Unlike many of those other legislators, however, Kruse seems to be aware that legal precedent, in the form of Edwards v. Aguillard, prohibits the teaching of creation science in classrooms. Instead, he hopes that some school district in his state will shoulder the cost of returning the issue to the Supreme Court, which he thinks may choose to ignore precedent and revisit Edwards.

The year is young, but the National Center for Science Education is already tracking six bills in various states that target science education.
    Well I suppose permitting it may be better than requiring it. Scientology??! And that's not a "johnny-come lately" sort of *cough* "theory" *cough*? >_<
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Well I suppose permitting it may be better than requiring it. Scientology??! And that's not a "johnny-come lately" sort of *cough* "theory" *cough*? >_<
    I propose allowing the teaching of faith based math, history, and English. 2 + 2 = Purple Circles, Abe Lincoln was assassinated by the zombie vampire corpse of a hungry John Wilkes Booth, and "Kruse" is actually pronounced similar to "douchebag"...
    . . .

Double posting because this isn't a response to Minx/Aimless but instead something that is messing with my groove. Cover Letters. They are the bane of my existence.
    . . .

Curiously enough this topic has recently come up on my other home forum. They've got a cover-letter feedback/critiquing thread for registered members who request access to the secret writing forum

http://www.notebookinhand.com/forum/...379#post331379

I will click your "like" button if you include an appropriate Dilbert strip in your cover letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Double posting because this isn't a response to Minx/Aimless but instead something that is messing with my groove. Cover Letters. They are the bane of my existence.
    ?

Cover letters ... on job applications?

Meh - I never seem to have to bother, thankfully.

I am currently averaging 10 job applications per week, 80% of which are through specific and relevant online jobs boards. Almost all of those job board applications are to recruitment firms who then assess the suitability of your skillsets and experience to the posted role, usually after phoning you up to discuss further. If suited, they then submit your application for the role to their client firm who have the vacancy(ies). Most of these recruitment firms are in regular contact with their clients, they have an ongoing relationship, sometimes contractual, so the recruiters are generally trusted by their clients to only submit the appropriate calibre of applicant. So covering letters just don't enter this particular equation.

The other 20% of my applications are through these same recruitment firms, who keep my CV and details on file. When client firms contact recruiters about a vacancy they have, the recruiters usually go through their files to find suitable job-seekers before they advertise on boards. If a suitable job-seeker is found on file, they will call up and see if the job-seeker is still job-seeking () and is interested in the role. If so, then the application is made this way. Again, covering letters are not part of the equation.

I'm glad I've never had to write one, as I think I'd struggle to know what to put.

Snow, all bloody week it has been clear crisp blue skies and today, the day that I have a flight at 20.25 it starts to snow and from the look of it it's getting worse rather than less. I don't see myself going anywhere today, but still no news about delays. They will come soon though I suppose.
    Congratulations America

And yes after the afternoon from hell my flight was cancelled.
    Congratulations America

All that snow is on its way over here tonight :/

Our winter has been very mild. Regional golfing has posted better employment data than regional skiing. Totally backward seasonal "tourism". Friends of mine who usually spend Dec-Feb skiing in Utah came home early because they didn't have much snow. If they'd waited a while, they could have gone to Colorado and been snowed in at the airport or stranded on a highway. Meanwhile, parts of Europe have so much snow it's a declared emergency situation.

It's not the Snow that makes the problems, it's the cold.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/04/wo...nap/?hpt=hp_t3
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Fucking global freezing!

Friday there was over 1275 km of traffic jams in Belgium on highways alone They really do suck at maintaining their roads. Oh well, at least this year we didn't crash our car against a Belgian tree like last time

Latest attempts by congress to de-fund Planned Parenthood.
    Komen Foundation getting caught in the politics of de-funding Planned Parenthood.
    Political efforts to conflate birth control with abortion, and women's healthcare with religious beliefs.
    Not having enough posters in TWF ready to tackle these issues.

I'm losing my office.

My chief (my super's super's super) left a few months ago, and I'm slowly starting to realize that he went out of his way to treat the LTA's under him with the respect, authority, and thankfulness that we have always earned. Slowly the little things he did for us have been taken down or downright destroyed as the old thinking of "I'm a librarian, I make more, therefore I am better" has returned.

My office being the latest victim, apparently when he placed me in here, he never updated the offices he gave the LTAs as viable office space. So it wasn't until last week, when my current chief discovered where my desk is, that she learned I had an office
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

So what's she going to do with your windfall office?

giving it to one of the librarians that work directly under her command. Even though that librarian manages a floor that isn't in the same location as my office

I work under whats called "digital services." My two supers report to a chief that is different than the one who manages the building that I work in. The two chiefs did recently have a meeting about how digital services LTAs (me) wouldn't be spending as much time helping with the patron desk schedule at this building; aka getting more project time, and less "how may I help you time".

I wouldn't put it past my building chief being petty enough to have done this because of that meeting. We've had previous problems with her throwing her authority around when she finds herself not in control of deciding something that involves her.

My chief will eventually switch over the one over digital services (without changing work location), but there is back end stuff about staffing limits that has delayed that official transition.

Whitney Houston was found dead yesterday at age 48. Another amazing voice and ability snuffed out too early.

New PC up and running.

Copying a load of shit from old box to new over ethernet cable, and BSOD.

Now, as new components are going to fail in the first few days/weeks of use, does this mean my SSD is fucked?

Edit: Though to be fair, I hadn't installed or updated any drivers at the point of BSOD, not sure if that'd impact the situation.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 02-15-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Depends on the type of BSOD - there are indeed those arising from faulty drivers. Could also be faulty hardware. A BSOD can be almost anything (besides from a pure software issue, that is).

Update all drivers, then use something like Prime 95 to stresstest processor and RAM.

You could also tell us what _kind_ of BSOD you're seeing. Furthermore, the event history of Windows 7 should also tell you something about the cause - type "Event" into the search box and choose the first option "Event Viewer". Then open the folder "Windows Logs" and you should find the specific error in the "System" list.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Thanks for the advice.

Source: Kernel-power
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

And that's it.

After running the pc much of yesterday and all of today, there has been no repeat of that single BSOD though. Has now been fully configured and all drivers updated.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Well, usually there should be an entry before that.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

My back and chest hurt today. I'm guessing I must have pulled some muscles. Doesn't help that the kid wants to be picked up often.

I did it!! I slipped out front of the Elk's building and tweaked my back! I am soooo sick and tired of cold and snow and wind and ice!!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

GAPS diet. Adrenal fatigue. What the hell world, what the hell

Never ever ever go through alternative medicine websites

Woke up, still drunk, can't remember anything past 1PM, my body hurts, I have a bunch of bruises, may have lost my wallet, and my bicycle is damaged (so I guess I fell off, would also explain the bruises). Alcohol
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!