Page 111 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Fuck you, got mine 2012
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    You obviously need Cohen's dentures
    The what now?

I've done a bit of looking around - seems there are different techniques and that the lower molars are known to cause problems sometimes, anesthesia-wise.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    The what now?
    I'm sorry, I had a vague memory you'd read Discworld books
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I'm sorry, I had a vague memory you'd read Discworld books
    Yeah, now I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Commissioner Murman has placed a “Thanks Bank” box in the Board of County Commissioners’ second-floor reception area to collect items for the welcome bags. We will accept whatever amount you can provide, but here is a suggested list:
    The local news contacted me and a couple of coworkers hoping to get a few quotes from us about this. We're not allowed to talk directly to the news so we had to turn them down, but this does appear to have pissed off more than a few people. Bay News 9 had a few segments mentioning it, and when the police put it on their facebook page it turned into an argument between the people saying the donations idea was ill-planned and others screaming why those people hate the police so much
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I don't know how much teevee you watch, but the amount of sheer indoctrination towards unquestioning faith in the police force is incredibly rampant in US media, and it also seems widely popular. Chris Meloni played a straight-up crooked, violent cop in SVU and he was portrayed clearly as a hero, Blue Bloods has half the family "doing the right thing" via brutalization and circumventing the law. Americans love cops. And worry about the UN disarming either them, the police force or all of US military, for some bizarre reason, when a far more immediate concern for the average Joe is the arbitrary violence and mis-use of power present in the US police force.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post

I've done a bit of looking around - seems there are different techniques and that the lower molars are known to cause problems sometimes, anesthesia-wise.
    No idea why they'd make you come back another day, instead of injecting novacaine closer to your mandibular joint, and proceeding. I can't recall the specific facial/oral nerve, but it numbs one side of cheek, chin, tongue, lips. Sometimes tip of the nose. But all of the teeth on that side. The injection is more painful than others, but works very well.

I don't know how much teevee you watch, but the amount of sheer indoctrination towards unquestioning faith in the police force is incredibly rampant in US media, and it also seems widely popular. Chris Meloni played a straight-up crooked, violent cop in SVU and he was portrayed clearly as a hero, Blue Bloods has half the family "doing the right thing" via brutalization and circumventing the law. Americans love cops. And worry about the UN disarming either them, the police force or all of US military, for some bizarre reason, when a far more immediate concern for the average Joe is the arbitrary violence and mis-use of power present in the US police force.
    There was some Weird News about an elected official (in charge of all disaster planning and police coordination) who was "preparing for Civil War" if Obama was re-elected. He'd gotten approval to beef up local police forces and buy a bunch of armaments, to fight off the UN forces, which would (of course) be called in after National Guard couldn't contain the ensuing chaos.....and he got sworn oaths from Sheriffs and Deputies and militia-types that they'd "fight the blue helmets" to their death. Next day, some shop owners were flying a blue UN flag with a "Welcome, International Overlords" banner.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    No idea why they'd make you come back another day, instead of injecting novacaine closer to your mandibular joint, and proceeding. I can't recall the specific facial/oral nerve, but it numbs one side of cheek, chin, tongue, lips. Sometimes tip of the nose. But all of the teeth on that side. The injection is more painful than others, but works very well.
    Because of a thing called "potential overdose". I got a different doctor now who actually seems to know what he's doing.

At least he was able to explain to me why the first dosage didn't work - the first doctor had simply missed the nerve. The new doctor then had to do an X-Ray, however, to see what he had to go for since the old one used a temporary filling (and drilling blind is not anyone's idea of fun!).

Currently under a local and state of emergency. fun times.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'm on 24 hour activation. Just got my assignment, 12 hour phone shift riding out the storm at the center of emergency operations.

I dislodged a dental crown while cleaning my teeth with a tooth pick. I'll call my dentist for an appontment tomorrow, but is really sucks, it feels like a loose tooth in my mouth.
    Congratulations America

'Minous, hurricane?

EDIT: Seems like a big one
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 08-27-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    'Minous, hurricane?

EDIT: Seems like a big one
    Its big, but currently disorganized. I'm under local and statewide state of emergencies, but those where declared before the track was shifted more to the west. I was activated by the Emergency Operations Center yesterday, but its been dreadfully slow. We likely won't deactivate untill the hurricane passes by us, just in case it wants to hook a hard right. Very little rain over night, and they are saying very little rain today. We are somewhat inbetween the rain bands as it moves along. Kinda sucks cause I hung the rugs out hoping for a free cleaning.

Oh well, maybe next time. Last I heard only 3 dead so far in the state, because Floridians can't drive in the rain.

Emergency operations ended at 1pm today. We went back to our RNC schedules. So I'm working till midnight tonight. My last call came in 45 minutes ago. The hurricane has passed, only 1 arrest at the protests so far. I haven't had a day this easy in years, but holy shit is this boring.

Just sent the last Basset Hound off with Better Half to the vet for her 'final' visit.

16 years is a good run for any dog...but gods it's killing me.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Gah. Probably caught the common cold. Chills and fever while the body is doing its best to resemble a furnace (39.5 °C - that 103 °F for the uneducated ones among us ) is not my idea of fun. As a result, I won't go to school tomorrow - my colleagues might look at me askance for being a carrier of pestilence among them

The motorway from Bern to Zürich
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Anti-GOP protestors are way to nice. I've heard of 3 arrests so far. zero damage. All-in-all, this was an extremely boring hot zone.

One of the ads here, before I logged in, admitted that women don't want younger men. They want people like me

Tried to call AT&T to change my plan in June, but it would never go through. Finally got through to their automated system 2 weeks ago, and changed it. Today I was charged the amount I had to pay on the previous plan. Called customer service, and they refused to refund the difference.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    One of the ads here, before I logged in, admitted that women don't want younger men. They want people like me
    This could equally be in the happy thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Just sent the last Basset Hound off with Better Half to the vet for her 'final' visit.

16 years is a good run for any dog...but gods it's killing me.
    That's a really long life for a Basset Hound. Surely she lived so long because you gave her such excellent care, and great love.

Sorry for your loss.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...n-with-autism/

I never could understand how people can be so lacking in morality at that age.
    Hope is the denial of reality

It's only three days of school and it's already the 5th iteration of my lesson plans. To top things off, today no one was really sure as to when the newest version was to come into effect: Immediately, tomorrow or monday next week?

And one of my classes was shuffled around thus that I'll see them for the first time in two weeks. This school year is very short and the curriculum is absolutely stuffed. That will be fun...

Having a kitchen fitted is hell.
    Congratulations America

Water locked my car last night. In my own driveway. Storm came out of nowhere, and my car was parked close to the street. By the time I noticed (guildwars + headphones) the water was already up to the door frame. Started it up and it immediately cut out. Took the air intake off and hoped it would dry out overnight but I still couldn't get it to turn over this morning. I don't have the tools to pull the spark plugs, so that means a trip to my moms mechanic.

TIL that when you pull the spark plugs from your engine, and try to crank it, it shots out anything in those chambers with enough force to coat a carport ceiling and screen door about a dozen feet away.

Got my car started, after about 3 hours of fucking around with getting anything liquid away from the spark plugs. Going to take it for an oil change hopefully monday or tuesday, then to autozone so they can read its computer and see what the check engine light is flashing for.

Kudos to you for getting it sorted. Seems modern engines can't be addressed with anything short of a laptop and a degree-qualified computer technician these days.

Let's hope you actually did get it sorted. Usually flooding a running engine (or one you try to run) means replacing the engine.