Page 114 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,420 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I assume remaining in grad school isn't for free? Though I am a bit unclear about the US system, over here, at least in (real ) sciences PhD positions are generally paid.

Also I assume 47% of the population aren't grad students, nor should they be.
    It is in just about any decent department. You act as a teaching assistant, grader, or research assistant, for which your tuition is waved and you get a stipend (usually $15-20k).

Pretty sure I pay more in freaking union dues (thought I'm not even a member) than I do in taxes.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Well, we all know how crazy US unions are
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Especially when they're going to use a huge portion of my money to help get Obama reelected.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Especially when they're going to use a huge portion of my money to help get Obama reelected.
    Well, if they only took money from members I wouldn't object to that any more than any organization that funds re-elections.

The main objective of this union is to help graduate students, not to help union executives get cushy jobs in the Democratic Party by throwing union money into every political race in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The main objective of this union is to help graduate students, not to help union executives get cushy jobs in the Democratic Party by throwing union money into every political race in the state.
    Still, if they only are paid by members, they can do what those members want, which could be supporting politicians they consider to have a better stance on education, to improve the future. I thin our student unions are mostly involved with government plans on education, which, I think, is a good thing for them to be involved with. Of course our political system is quite different, and they don't donate money to any party. Nor do they force any non members to pay them.

goddamn adobe drm i have paid for the damn book why can't you just give me a frickin pdf so that i don't have to wake the pretty one by messing about on the computer?!
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

ah, the love that is Adobe Digital Editions
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Problem solved Great book, horrible packaging

Hot Wheels changed the treasure hunt packaging. They aren't easy to spot anymore
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

What's messing with my groove? How about waiting for over an hour as our sister company drags their heels. All they need to do is make-ready a machine, run a sample off and if I like it I'll give it the nod and they can proceed.

Games not supporting split screen co-op.

The Bridal Gallery which Amanda's ordered her wedding dress from (for which we've put a hefty deposit down for) has gone bankrupt.

May be able to reclaim deposit from credit card company but her heart was on that dress
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The Bridal Gallery which Amanda's ordered her wedding dress from (for which we've put a hefty deposit down for) has gone bankrupt.

May be able to reclaim deposit from credit card company but her heart was on that dress
    that's a real bummer... hope she finds an even fluffier one!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

I'm assuming the dress wasn't a one of a kind. You still have plenty of time to find it elsewhere.

Dropped my friends off at the cruise terminal today for their Bahama cruise. I wish I could have gone too.

Huge thunderstorm with potential for hail. Have to leave for class now. What I put up with for Turkish.

You mean future position at the UN, surely
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

More like to get funding from the college.

Really? That sucks
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Yeah, getting paid almost as much for taking a foreign language class as I did to be a teaching assistant to multiple classes isn't the worst deal.

I mean, I did get to choose the language, so I think it has some use.

No doubt, but compared to being paid for research (even if the pay's not so good) that still seems like a shady deal

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    No doubt, but compared to being paid for research (even if the pay's not so good) that still seems like a shady deal
    You don't get paid for research at grad schools; you get paid for teaching or helping others do research. You get paid for research at post-docs and when you're an actual professor.

That's precious.

On the flip side, pretty much everyone here gets funding. That's certainly not the case in Britain.

Is that good or bad, though? We want good science, not all 'science'. Right?

The colleges here have higher standards for accepting someone, so you still get good science. What ends up happening in England is an academia dominated by the rich (or people with rich parents).

Isn't that part of the R/R platform?

The irony is that English academia is very left wing.