Page 12 of 189 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Best answer the Christians ever normally give is "to test us".

Yes carbon dating/dinosaurs etc, etc show the Earth to be older than 6,000 years but God put them there to "test us". Because the God who didn't want a naked Eve to bite an apple figured before she did that 6,000 years later we'll find dinosaur bones that he pre-planned to "test us" again.

I would just like to point out

For the record

That the new Office (2007 or whatever) is absolute, awful, horrid shit. Each tiny minutiae of its design seems to have been crafted with the blatant intent of infuriating and frustrating the poor wretched soul trying to extricate some semblance of fucking sense and a decent look. The people responsible for this crime against decency and kind-heartnedNess should be sacked, forcibly ejected from all continents where Microsoft (or anyone else, Hell) designs software, and possibly tattooed to identify them, ala Kain.

This has been a public service announcement. Please do not unfasten your seatbelts until the light goes out. Thank you
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I too am dealing with the new horror that is Office 2007...whoever designed it thought they were being innovative...
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I would just like to point out

For the record

That the new Office (2007 or whatever) is absolute, awful, horrid shit. Each tiny minutiae of its design seems to have been crafted with the blatant intent of infuriating and frustrating the poor wretched soul trying to extricate some semblance of fucking sense and a decent look. The people responsible for this crime against decency and kind-heartnedNess should be sacked, forcibly ejected from all continents where Microsoft (or anyone else, Hell) designs software, and possibly tattooed to identify them, ala Kain.

This has been a public service announcement. Please do not unfasten your seatbelts until the light goes out. Thank you
    Most people I know feel that way until they've used it a while. It is quite excellent once you get used to it. The database interfacing is lightyears ahead of the previous version. Going back and forth between versions (I do work at customer sites on their equipment) is very painful though.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

We get people in here all the time complaining how we haven't upgraded to Office 2007. That the menu bar and drop downs in 2003 and before are stupid and make no sense.

I have used Outlook 2007 for work email for at least a year now, and Paint in Vista and Windows 7 has the same ribbon design. I still haven't gotten used to the redesign. The menu bar and drop down menus are to ingrained in my system

It makes me feel old, that our ingrained and nostalgic use of certain GUI designs are being cast off, left to fend with newer designs we are reluctant to accept. With the Portal ARG someone even wondered how anyone could think that a picture might be stored in audio data...and I sat there and thought "When I was a kid, some of our computer programs came on audio tapes"...

...old...
    . . .

I was skeptical about the ribbon before I used it, but after getting to know it, it is definitely superior to the old menus and I'm completely sold on it. I spend a lot less time trying to figure out where the hell that rarely used feature I need is located, and found features I didn't even know about that have apparently been in Office forever.

If you're willing to give it an honest chance, then you will like it after you get used to the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    ...old...
    When I was a kid we, oh never mind.

Finally got my nearly $500 overcharge taken care of at CVS pharmacy. The supervisor was a jerk. Kept me out in the lobby with all these people standing in line, to argue about. Then he said I couldn't get a copy of the Incident Report/Medication Error due to privacy concerns.

Now I have to wait for the district manager to call me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    We get people in here all the time complaining how we haven't upgraded to Office 2007. That the menu bar and drop downs in 2003 and before are stupid and make no sense.

I have used Outlook 2007 for work email for at least a year now, and Paint in Vista and Windows 7 has the same ribbon design. I still haven't gotten used to the redesign. The menu bar and drop down menus are to ingrained in my system
    Outlook 2007 is a real improvement though, it crashes far less frequent and does a lot of stuff that the older versions didn't do. Haven't used the rest of office 2007 enough to judge on it yet.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I knew where everything I needed was in '03, the menu's were intuitive. I'm still not used to the ribbon.

At work I still use Office '03, but that's positively modern compared to our main IT system we use which is still DOS-based! Whenever I train anybody on it, people get confused as to why we don't have a mouse* on our computers - or ever wonder why its not touchscreen.

* Mine with Office does, but most of the workstations might as well be running Windows 3.1 it feels sometimes. Not that many now would know what that is.

I liked it after i got used to it. Easier to find a lot of suff, actually.

However, to my great shame i had to ask someone at work on my first day where the print and save buttons and whatnot were. I never even thought of clicking the stupid logo in the top corner - why would i? I dont click the funking firefox button to do anything on here, do i?
    Last edited by Spawnie; 03-03-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

To my equally great shame I had the exact same problem first time I used it..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-08-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Breaking wind while shagging.

Did you bullshit (no pun?) your way out of the embarrassing moment? E.g. Claim it was a human type of jet propulsion to enhance the thrust, therefore increasing her pleasure.

Hehe shoulda thought of that.

I got a bit embarassed and actually apologised, but we just giggled and carried on.

Damn I really really hope this isn't an age thing and starts to occur more and more often.
    Has certainly never happened before.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Hehe shoulda thought of that.

I got a bit embarassed and actually apologised, but we just giggled and carried on.

Damn I really really hope this isn't an age thing and starts to occur more and more often.
    Has certainly never happened before.
    I wouldn't worry about it to much, at least you giggled and carried on. It would have been far worse if she stopped and went home. Next time, just make an excuse.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    I liked it after i got used to it. Easier to find a lot of suff, actually.

However, to my great shame i had to ask someone at work on my first day where the print and save buttons and whatnot were. I never even thought of clicking the stupid logo in the top corner - why would i? I dont click the funking firefox button to do anything on here, do i?
    They changed that in Office 2010 by the way. Instead of the Office-Logo, there's now an additional "File"-ribbon.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

A bunch of striking cleaners are picketing in front of the building where I work. They are blowing whistles all the time which is very annoying considering I've got a bit of a headache. As for the striking part; I am surprised they claim to actually have ever worked at all looking at the lack of cleanliness in this room.
    Congratulations America

All my electrical tools were stolen, along with the toolbox out my truck. The prick(s) didn't even bother to close the tailgate.

Why would they close the tailgate after they steal your toys?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

No. I don't care if they stole your toys, I want to know why they would close your tailgate after they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    No. I don't care if they stole your toys, I want to know why they would close your tailgate after they did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    Sarcasm.

Well, boo-fucking-hoo. I hope you spend less time upset over someone stealing your things than my son did over his much-more-valuable-than-your-tools skateboard.

But I needed those tools for work.

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

We buy any car.Dot com
    We buy any car.Dot com

Any
    Any

Absolutely Tim!

Amanda knows it annoys me so she'll happily sing along to it too just to wind me up further.

How can an advertisement "wind up" a devout capitalist? Shouldn't you be singing along as well, merry in the notion that money, wealth and power are generated and distributed to the lesser people?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Seems Playstation everything is down again, can't get on the playstation and I can't get the blog to come up to check the connection status.

Well, turns out my tools weren't stolen afterall, but the latch on the tailgate released. Not the first time it's happened.